Its time to go Turbo!

Travis, what happens with the idle and the AC?

might be a bit tough to explain well but i'll give it a shot. it seems like the idle becomes very "sensitive" with the extra load. the initial hit makes it idle surge/roll. If i catch it with my foot and back it off slowly to idle it will idle smooth but is very sensitive, the slightest change makes it start to roll again. (power steering, clutch release, etc) It seems like without the ac the tune will recover from a throttle blurp or similar very well but with the ac on it will not. a blurp or anything that moves it off idle upsets it back into the roll. I haven't let it go to see if it will every correct itself or progressively get worse until it stalls. I'm assuming electric fans are going to have the same affect. AC off it comes back to idle off a rev or blurp very well.

I'm running open loop idle. idle advance off and idle fueling off. I made an quick effort for closed loop idle but didn't really care for what i was getting compared so i switched it back with better results.

I run closed loop with idle advance (this part is very important, more than the other two aspects) and idle VE. It barely blips when the AC comes on.

I am astounded by how effective the turbo blanket is. My turbo is really close to the fender liner and I can push my hand between the blanket and the fender with the truck running. Just crazy.

I run closed loop with idle advance (this part is very important, more than the other two aspects) and idle VE. It barely blips when the AC comes on.

Jeff is 100% correct. You need to run CL idle, idle advance and idle VE table. Once adjusted it will be night and day!!!

hmmm...I'll have to give it another shot. I'll do a little reading online about what to target. I only gave it a quick shot and wasn't happy at all with what i was getting so i just jumped back to what worked, but that is currently my only real "issue" i have with the tune, so its worth spending a little time on it. any advice either of you have learned that i should focus on first? or any bookmarks you reference?

Last edited:
I'll be glad to share any of my settings. The idle advance settings and curve are fairly common and should be similar between your heads/cam and mine. The VE won't do you any good, but I still use a stock throttle body and iac valve, so the closed loop settings should be useful.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

They say if your running sequential you should be at 14.7:1 and if you’re running bank to bank it needs to be richer.

Mine is bank to bank and it likes. About 13.5 at idle. My timing is about 14° at idle

Right. I idle at 14.3 now with the 95# injectors. I was idling at 14.5 with the 60s. The pulsewidth was getting so small at 14.5 with the bigger injectors that the idle was a little unstable.

mine seems to like high 13's low 14's as of right now warm, likes to be fairly rich warming up to keep it from rolling. It seems like the cam plays a role in that as well as the sequential or batch. I think at the moment i have 14º or 15º at idle just using the ignition map because the advance idle isn't currently on. I plan on turning all that on tonight and seeing what i can make it do. I have it at work today so no cold start stuff tonight.

Jeff, That would be great. I'd like to see what i had done a couple weeks ago and compare, maybe learn a thing or two. It seems like all the research google comes up with is for a miata so something more similar would be a much better start.

I target 14.0 all the way up to 100kpa. Then I add fuel. Truck likes a little richer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that stoich for E10 gas is 14.1 to 14.3 depending on the actual ethanol amount.

And yes,cam has a lot to do with target idle AFR also.

Keep in mind that stoich for E10 gas is 14.1 to 14.3 depending on the actual ethanol amount.

And yes,cam has a lot to do with target idle AFR also.

Brian, mine and your engines are similar beside you having turbo. I’m running the TFS stage 2 cam as well. What rpm and afr idle are you targeting? I have access to 93 octane with up to 10% ethanol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian, mine and your engines are similar beside you having turbo. I’m running the TFS stage 2 cam as well. What rpm and afr idle are you targeting? I have access to 93 octane with up to 10% ethanol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13.5 AFR,8-900 RPM.10* timing @ idle.

some progress has been made. I have a dead spot right off idle trying to let the clutch out where the rpms drop a bit. (obviously not going to get much help from you auto guys on this one:hh:, I lowered my threshold for accel enrichment to see if that will help that lean spot. I can't tell if its using the map, accel enrichment, or maybe even decel at that time as the rpm is dropping. need to datalog it and check it over. it doesn't do it if i keep the RPM near 1k, its only if it drops down. I keep trying to make some changes to get it to enter closed loop faster/smoother for like a clutch in or knock it into neutral condition because it seems to wander for a second or before entering closed loop and seems very RPM dependent. from High RPM it settles down much nicer than like 2k. I'm getting close tho because it can wander in and out of closed loop a couple time before settling in so i know I'm close. Jeff (FMOS racing) was nice enough to send his tune over for me to study but not much was really different than mine for any of the closed loop settings. A couple minor changes for other stuff that I'm experimenting with. I did get a hint that this clutch is not enjoying what I'm doing. I tried to do a little burn out and it was not having it. :chair:

I figured I'd do some updating. been busy with work and such. couple trips to maine snowmobiling, anyway, truck runs. Pulled the factory engine harness and the MASS air harness i used to have and gutted all the factory stuff the MS3 doesn't need (Emissions etc). tried to neaten up the wiring the best I could. Engine bay isn't exactly a show stopper but Id like to keep my AC and such for now. tapped into the pan. ran oil lines. bought one of the hex extensions for the oil pressure switch and drilled and tapped it for the feed. added a set of valve covers and welded on some -8an bungs so I can attach a catch can. added a set of Fuel injector clinic 1000cc injectors. (The very little tuning i've done im very happy with them) Made a set of black taylor spark plug wires. Heat wrapped the whole hot side. Currently the exhaust is open 4". dumping under the frame on the passenger side. I did this to see if/what i would need for a muffler. Its not terribly loud but has an odd tone (im assuming because of the log manifold) so i think i'll be adding a muffler before finishing off the tips. Cant even hear my Cam anymore :cr:

PFeS4yol.jpg
Er8sOLCl.jpg

eR2lVG7l.jpg

iZWu2eml.jpg

2BYY4Dnl.jpg

Nuh4l2fl.jpg

rWO5oY1l.jpg

eW3fpsTl.jpg

NQANgkal.jpg

Nice do you remember what hex extension you used? I got a oil pressure gauge but the sender is to fat so I need to relocate it. Obviously ha!Just looking for the right part I need.

Nice do you remember what hex extension you used? I got a oil pressure gauge but the sender is to fat so I need to relocate it. Obviously ha!Just looking for the right part I need.

I'm pretty sure it was one of the Scott drake ones. Make sure its 1/4npt and any length that works for you. Mine is either 3 or 4 inches.

I'm pretty sure it was one of the Scott drake ones. Make sure its 1/4npt and any length that works for you. Mine is either 3 or 4 inches.

Great thanks! Yeah I see them at Summit! I'll measure and get the right size! Great thread!

Update. Truck is running great. Very happy with the current tune. Glad you guys said go closed loop idle. Took some playing but got it going well. Put some miles on it this weekend. Randomly ran up next to a fellow gen 1 (black one) on a road only 1 town away which was cool. It was like a mid 90s reunion. Truck is filthy from the pollen and several hundred miles of driving but there is just something about these things.

K7NxUNal.jpg

Back