Its time to go Turbo!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. Its been a fun project but I'm certainly ready to enjoy it a bit instead of working on it. so far probably have 60-80 miles on it total and everything seems good and solid. nothing has melted. Surge tank is working well. Driveablilty of this clutch is very smooth and easy pedal. I would like to put some more miles on the clutch break-in before I give it a WOT pull and see how it does. Tune is set to be very conservative to accept a WOT pull. Its supposed to have an 8psi spring in it which i will use to get everything dialed in and plan to turn it up a touch more. I should have more than enough fuel for whatever I decided to set it to. The surge tank has a walbro 450 pump with -10 fuel line feed and -8 return and FIC 1000cc injectors. I would think the GT40 heads are going to be a little bit of a limitation so i may have to add some head to the mix in the future.

I have a set of crown springs and shackles to throw on aswell to drop it down a bit.

What do you guys use to post videos? I use imgur for photos but the video I posted I noticed has no sound.

Did a WOT pull yesterday evening to about 4500 rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear. Hits and hold 7psi on gate pressure. Pretty deep in the 10s afr. Timing was conservative (coming from the import world idk what these things like so will need to push timing on a dyno) It definitely woke it up. It scoots pretty good for only 7psi and I'm just getting started.

Also. Man these brakes are bad. I did a few laps on a road course last fall and they did not like that and now seems like they may not like going fast either.

Conservative timing with iron heads is a good thing and will depend on how good the intercooler is. Charge temperature has a big impact on timing.

A:F at 7 psi can be about 12.0, maybe 11.8 if your manifold temp is over about 130 at full boost.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Conservative timing with iron heads is a good thing and will depend on how good the intercooler is. Charge temperature has a big impact on timing.

A:F at 7 psi can be about 12.0, maybe 11.8 if your manifold temp is over about 130 at full boost.

I usually target about 11.5 for safety purposes. I know they can usually handle a leaner condition but since im not trying to squeeze every last HP out of the setup i like safety. I'm using the factory IAT sensor and didn't look at it for that pull. Id imagine it is a common heat soak issue as its in the lower.

I do feel this setup would benefit greatly from a set of nice heads. will have to be a future upgrade for sure.

IATs run a little high during idle/cruise (low airflow across the sensor), but they yank right down when airflow goes up and boost comes on. One of those "for safety" things in my opinion. I'd rather have the charge temp at the intake port than basically the outside air temperature.

so i went ahead and installed my crown drop over the weekend. I don't know if it is going to settle down or not but it certainly didn't drop it very much. I ordered the 3/2 expecting a 2/2 when it was done and considering the truck sat perfectly level before that would have been perfect. I have about 20 miles on it and it is about 1" in the front (varies side to side a bit) and i set the shackles to the 1 inch hole in the back because i was not looking for that cali lean but i only got like 3/4 of an inch in the back. It looks "better" but not what i was looking for. I expected beams to be too much of a drop but maybe not anymore.

kPVSLN9l.jpg

IczXOd7l.jpg

cq2mbbwl.jpg

finished up the catch can/overflow tank. Hooked up the valve covers to the new catch can. very happy with the results.

1mXRv5ql.jpg

2gExLi2l.jpg

r8poBVIl.jpg

w9gJNnJl.jpg

2WoZVeal.jpg

fKn14Ayl.jpg

m53nQPSl.jpg

at5M0gql.jpg

GSzkjMKl.jpg

dTxGF3Ml.jpg

Looks great. What does the catch can drain into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great. What does the catch can drain into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I welded two fittings to the top of the valve covers. and they got into the baffled can with a breather filter off the top. basically just a valve cover breather with a place for the oil to get caught. I have a drain port off the back that i can drain if/when it gets filled up.

Thanks guys, Forever progression. Id much rather build something than buy something if I can.

This is roughly the difference between where you are now and beams/hangers. I also removed the slapper in the rear and have the shackle on its lower height. Front is down about 2-3/8 inches after the turbo went back on and I shimmed it up.
8d579ef412aecb87bc2d5b9e8c3f1b4b.jpg

This is roughly the difference between where you are now and beams/hangers. I also removed the slapper in the rear and have the shackle on its lower height. Front is down about 2-3/8 inches after the turbo went back on and I shimmed it up.
8d579ef412aecb87bc2d5b9e8c3f1b4b.jpg

What are the exact setups between those two photos. I'm crown 3inch fronts and rear shackles at 2inch drop now. Slappers removed. Stock tires. Ideally I want it to be 1-1.5 inches lower than it is now front and rear. I wouldnt mind a bit more but a tire change would have to follow I think atleast up front

The tires are 255/70s in front with Eibachs and Dream Beams. I added a few shim washers under the spring perch to raise the front back up a little. The rear is DJM shackles and hangers with the slapper removed.

The Eibachs were a 1-3/4 drop on a Lightning I think? That was a long time ago! So that would be a 2.5 to 3" drop on a regular F-150.

The tires are 255/70s in front with Eibachs and Dream Beams. I added a few shim washers under the spring perch to raise the front back up a little. The rear is DJM shackles and hangers with the slapper removed.

The Eibachs were a 1-3/4 drop on a Lightning I think? That was a long time ago! So that would be a 2.5 to 3" drop on a regular F-150.

Sounds like I need beams. After this whole pandemic settles down I'll have to invest in a set. Wish I never went with the crown setup. Oh well.

started giving it some much needed attention after a winter of working on it. I have plenty of work ahead of me but after a good polish that white still has some good depth to it after 26 years.

I have the tune going pretty good. I've never been much of a dyno guy. (My car has actually never been tuned on a dyno and is 6-800whp depending on fuel im running (estimated because of trap speed))but i think the lightning may get some dyno time in the near future to dial it in. Im not that comfortable trying to push timing on something with Hyper pistons.

8 PSI and conservative timing it is a blast to drive around, Ill bump it up a few more for sure. I'm sure the stock gt40 heads and TFS stage 1 are killing it. still feels like it rolls over before 5500 rpm. but spools up quick and makes a lot of cool noises.

kklHgKYl.jpg

nkzTvg6l.jpg

and for those of you with black trucks that think im lucky having a white one. Well my superduty is black and huge so i feel your pain.

yaDsXd2l.jpg

Back