Its time to go Turbo!

Oh man, that was almost 13 years ago. All I remember is that the pump was obviously cavitating, so we used vice grips on the line to restrict the flow while returning fuel into the tank through the filler connection so we could work out the problem. Then we did the same thing (just flowed fuel in a loop) after we modified the canister to test the changes.

However, to amend my earlier comments, since fuel returns to the can in the stock setup, and not to some other tank, my thoughts about it draining the canister without pressure are wrong. It'll just circulate a lot faster. The jet pump only has to replace the draw-down, not the entire 400+ lph fuel flow that the stock pump will do without backpressure.

Oh man, that was almost 13 years ago. All I remember is that the pump was obviously cavitating, so we used vice grips on the line to restrict the flow while returning fuel into the tank through the filler connection so we could work out the problem. Then we did the same thing (just flowed fuel in a loop) after we modified the canister to test the changes.

However, to amend my earlier comments, since fuel returns to the can in the stock setup, and not to some other tank, my thoughts about it draining the canister without pressure are wrong. It'll just circulate a lot faster. The jet pump only has to replace the draw-down, not the entire 400+ lph fuel flow that the stock pump will do without backpressure.

thanks a lot. the reason i'm interested is i'm considering a surge tank for the future. i have a 190 LPH std pressure fox mustang pump in the rear tank canister. it would feed the surge tank which would have an "overflow" outlet returning unused surge tank fuel to the rear tank canister. unused fuel from the engine would be returned to the surge tank through a line connected to the surge tank. the rear tank canister has holes in its top to allow overflow to flow into the rear tank. i think this should work.

Last edited:
If the lift side of the surge tank that fills it from the tank is recirculating without any restriction, the stock pump will definitely empty the can pretty quickly. You'd have to use a regulator or an orifice on the return line to build enough pressure to keep the stock pump in check. The plus side would be that the stock pump would have some headroom to refill the surge tank when it was being drawn down.

While I haven't done a surge tank, I did run into this when I rearranged my fuel system for the front tank to pump into the rear.

Is the interest in the surge tank to be able to keep the dual tanks?

your comment on another page was the reason behind my comment actually. I didn't consider that the return from the surge tank could be fed back into the canister to keep it full. That might be the game changer here.

The main reason for wanting a surge tank is the fuel pump options and i like making stuff but surge tanks also have a lot of benefits with fuel slosh and keeping the pump constant. I wanted to build a hanger and run an intank pump like a walbro 450 or retro an internal a1000. I'm not against a sumped rear tank and an external a1000 (or similar). I even considered cutting up a tank and baffling it but that seems like a bit of an overkill when there are other options. I've read some questionable things with sumped tanks and EFI but i also know plenty of people that have successfully ran them. My rear tank slowly fills my front tank so i assume i already have an issue with the valve so im probably going to end up ditching one tank anyway.

I have a diesel for towing so this is just a toy so i don't need the distance.

also. intercooler is in and mounted. I may mill some holes in the bracket i made for added airflow to he condenser and rad and make it look fancier but for now. I'll finish the intercooler piping probably tomorrow.
8FtJvfGl.jpg

89QQgCil.jpg

A surge tank would help to eliminate a ton of fuel system issues if it was able to be made to work. You wouldn’t have to worry about fuel crossover, larger fuel pumps, fuel starvation issues, undersized wiring and a lot of other potential problems.

A surge tank supplied from the old tanks could have a simple 15psi or so pressure regulator. The new fuel pumps create the pressure and as soon as the tank lost any fuel at all the existing pumps would try to maintain 15psi. With the fuel returning to the old tank from the fuel rail with the motor side fuel pressure regulator say at 40 psi. So you have a 15 psi primary and a 40 psi secondary.

How big is the surge tank? Say 1/2 gallon ?None one should need max fuel for more than 1-2 minute burst. And even at say 4 mpg use the 1/2 gal of fuel would last 2 miles of max use. Then add say 50% back for refills by the stock pump. You could go wide open for say 3 miles.

That should be plenty?

I still don't see any advantage if you're not doing something that would starve a sumped tank. You still have an additional pump and wiring, the expense of the surge tank itself, additional plumbing etc.

If you're drifting or doing hpdes or perhaps even serious autocross, maybe so. Or if you're simply bored and wanting to do something different, which is the story of my automotive life. Lol!

I can also see an advantage for keeping both tanks if both stock pumps feed the surge tank because then you only need one upgraded fuel system accommodate both tanks. This would be especially nice in the case of an e85 system and is something I'd seriously consider at this point with my truck. But only because I want both tanks.

I still don't see any advantage if you're not doing something that would starve a sumped tank.

It’s about not having a sumped tank at all. Our rear tanks are the worst possible shape for sumping. Not to mention the capacity is too small for any real distance driving. Then there is the whole air cooled external pump vs an internal pump cooled by the fuel.

I figured I'd do some updating. been busy with work and such. couple trips to maine snowmobiling, anyway, truck runs. Pulled the factory engine harness and the MASS air harness i used to have and gutted all the factory stuff the MS3 doesn't need (Emissions etc). tried to neaten up the wiring the best I could. Engine bay isn't exactly a show stopper but Id like to keep my AC and such for now. tapped into the pan. ran oil lines. bought one of the hex extensions for the oil pressure switch and drilled and tapped it for the feed. added a set of valve covers and welded on some -8an bungs so I can attach a catch can. added a set of Fuel injector clinic 1000cc injectors. (The very little tuning i've done im very happy with them) Made a set of black taylor spark plug wires. Heat wrapped the whole hot side. Currently the exhaust is open 4". dumping under the frame on the passenger side. I did this to see if/what i would need for a muffler. Its not terribly loud but has an odd tone (im assuming because of the log manifold) so i think i'll be adding a muffler before finishing off the tips. Cant even hear my Cam anymore :cr:

PFeS4yol.jpg
Er8sOLCl.jpg

eR2lVG7l.jpg

iZWu2eml.jpg

2BYY4Dnl.jpg

Nuh4l2fl.jpg

rWO5oY1l.jpg

eW3fpsTl.jpg

NQANgkal.jpg

Turbo is life

Only thing I wish I done was turbo long ago

Work looks great

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Interestingly, February 1st was the 19th anniversary of my first visit to Silver State to discuss turboing my truck and offering the outcome as a kit.

so far in 2020 I have worked every day except for the 2 weekends i took off to go snowmobiling so progress has been a bit slow.

Finished up the surge tank and added a tear drop to finish off the wastegate stinger pipe. I placed an order for the last of the fittings to finish feeding the tank and running the lines to the engine. as well as a new clutch (current one isn't going to enjoy making power) and the last of the exhaust pieces. Hopefully have it running on the surge tank in the next week or so hoping i can make it function getting fed by the stock two tanks. I have put like 30 miles on it so far stock fuel just to make sure everything is good with my setup. Truck runs great for a quick tune. It sounds ridiculous. It certainly isn't going to be a sleeper. Turbo noises and 5 speed :heart:

8Adhrpal.jpg

6norCw3l.jpg

IoAasZJl.jpg

lpae41Vl.jpg

NTvstAEl.jpg

Funny comments about the sound. With the turbo back on mine, it's quiet as a stocker. I was literally giggling and shaking my head standing there listening to it idle in my driveway. ~3 times the stock horsepower, but sounds like it's meek and mild.

Made a lot of progress this week. got the trans out. resurfaced the flywheel. oil pan gasket and rear main seal. pulled the trans apart and added carbon synchros and bronze shift pads. new clutch. Got the surge tank installed, plumbed and wired. and finished the exhaust. (waiting for a muffler thats on back order from local speed shop). anyway have 20-25 miles on it. both tanks work. surge tank seem to 100% functional and im very happy about it. i've been playing with the tune slightly. Very conservative timing. 70% throttle i saw 6psi at 3400 so this thing is gonna be a good time once i get it dialed in. the last photo is actually a video if you click on it.

xtytqTll.jpg

gVzqFLRl.jpg

hdzzPcYl.jpg

RNG05Aul.jpg

VUobcPHl.jpg

r2IN7jal.jpg

q8wSs8El.jpg

You are doing some fantastic work!

Man, I hate tapatalk sometimes. I obviously don't have nearly enough threads on my subscription.

Back