Heading in right direction?

Would you guys recommend the pimpxshift to someone who’s done only little tuning here and there. I’m trying to learn all the ins and outs on a tweecer right now, but I’m really considering upgrading, just don’t want to get into anything over my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a month subscription to Evans Performance Academy. He has basic and advanced tuning videos as well as MegaSquirt classes from the very beginning set up to how to set up meth injunction tables. I figured out a way to record them for viewing later.

I've been dialing in the cold start on mine the past few weeks. That's really the last piece of the puzzle, but I've also been working on it for a year.

Yea me too Jeff. Still cranks and shuts off the first try. Then cranks up and runs...afr around 13.5 cold then warms up to a rich 13.7 at 180° idle. Working on that now. I’m wanting around 14.5 idle closed loop.

Yea me too Jeff. Still cranks and shuts off the first try. Then cranks up and runs...afr around 13.5 cold then warms up to a rich 13.7 at 180° idle. Working on that now. I’m wanting around 14.5 idle closed loop.

Add a little bit of prime pulsewidth as well as after start enrichment. Sometimes the cranking pulsewidth is enough for it to catch but it needs some additional fuel pretty quickly to get it going.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ASE and ASE Taper are probably what you want to focus on if it starts right up, but then dies. You'll want to datalog for sure. I found out up North that mine was not at all tuned for the cold, especially on E85. Once I got it to the point where it fired off on the first try it would die looking at datalogs it would go lean right after it started. So I worked on ASE (how much it adds vs coolant temp) and ASE taper (how fast it trails off vs coolant temp) at the colder temps, now it catches and runs. It still has a small RPM dip after 1st start and is a bit too rich at some warmer temps on re-start. But it's **SO MUCH** better. Now it's down to putting the final finishing touches of those two items plus a bit of WUE (Warm Up Enrichment) which in my mind is a broader setting vs a startup setting and can be auto-tuned.

Thanks guys! I’ve auto tuned the WUE and think it’s pretty good but I will look into the ASE and taper and priming pulsewidth. I adjusted the ASE once but probably not enough.

The ASE stuff will add fuel on hot start along with cold start (its timed based by the amount of crank rotations) so if your hot start is good you can affect that if you use ASE for cold start.

WUE is where you should focus for cold starts.

The ASE stuff will add fuel on hot start along with cold start (its timed based by the amount of crank rotations) so if your hot start is good you can affect that if you use ASE for cold start.

WUE is where you should focus for cold starts.

ASE is based on coolant temp as well.

What about the MAT air density table. You could use that for some added tuning as well.

a09a90b2c9a627bdbdd2fc1f6b88b405.jpg

What about the MAT air density table. You could use that for some added tuning as well.

a09a90b2c9a627bdbdd2fc1f6b88b405.jpg

Absolutely you could, but I like the coolant based ones as it gives you kind of an across the board value to work off of. Meaning that we have closed loop idle, ASE, ASE Taper, and WUE all based off coolant temp.

Ok I appreciate everyone’s input, when ordering what’s the best options for communication method the side port usb that requires modifying the ecu hanger? And i see they offer 2 different wide bands an aem x series and a Spartan 2 is one preferred over the other?

I use the side USB, modified the ECU bracket. I leave the USB connected to the ECU and tuck the wire in the dash when not in use.

Spartan wideband
Side USB

You can get the serial adapter for the expansion cable and install a wifi dongle in it for wireless communication also.

I'm using the comms from the expansion port. I didn't like how jammed in the side adapter was and I've had the ECU in and out a few times. It's six one way, half dozen another.

Ok thanks guys, I do like the idea of the wireless connectivity, maybe even the Bluetooth adapter. I thought they offered the Spartan 3 as an option for a wide band but I’m sure the Spartan 2 will do anything I need it too, thanks again guys.

The Spartan 3 offers more features (if that had have been an option when I bought mine I would have gotten it)

Spartan 3 is nice, but it's been on backorder forever. Spartan 2 is a solid setup, I use it and really like it.

Back