What did you do to your gen 1 today

Took a little bit more then just a wishy washy. Cleaning up 25 years of grime and old paint took a little time. Multiple baths in the caustic for the heads and many washes in the aluminum tank on the intake, media blasted and some wire wheeling for everything. Those things aren't just clean, they are stripped down completely to bare iron and aluminum. Glad to see you getting somewhere Jim.
Adam@cgm cleaned these in his hot tank. Masking off all the critical surfaces took place in the kitchen while wifey was at work. Priming and painting happens outside.
I'm not going to mess with the force... lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two coats of as cast aluminum. Then got most of the upper masked off. Gonna spray the grooves black. Fingers crossed that it turns out. If not, got more as cast lol.
d9ad3fd4ab04bc78655f713feaf3f712.jpg

Looking good Jim! What brand paint are you using? I'm curious what it will look like with the black in the groves, I've thought of that many times.

Got what I thought were front end shakes, replaced original U/L ball joints and bearings - all of which were worn but not terribly so. Front end felt much tighter, but shakes got even worse. Pulled over and smelled something burning - felt all the hubs and the right rear was hot. Had just replaced drums and shoes a few months ago, and was afraid I had seriously messed something up. Come to find out, right parking brake cable had seized with brake partially applied. If I drove far enough, the drum & pads would heat up and bind, causing the whole truck to shake. Doing new L/R parking brake cables today!

Got what I thought were front end shakes, replaced original U/L ball joints and bearings - all of which were worn but not terribly so. Front end felt much tighter, but shakes got even worse. Pulled over and smelled something burning - felt all the hubs and the right rear was hot. Had just replaced drums and shoes a few months ago, and was afraid I had seriously messed something up. Come to find out, right parking brake cable had seized with brake partially applied. If I drove far enough, the drum & pads would heat up and bind, causing the whole truck to shake. Doing new L/R parking brake cables today!

OMG Fred ... I just realized I promised you a list and I never got it to you.

I'm a complete douche.

I humbly apologize.

No worries my friend - I would've nagged you if it was a big deal - mechanic friend went over everything with me and the rest of the front suspension is looking good. One of these years I'm gonna pull it all apart and replace the bushings, but they're good for now.

No worries my friend - I would've nagged you if it was a big deal - mechanic friend went over everything with me and the rest of the front suspension is looking good. One of these years I'm gonna pull it all apart and replace the bushings, but they're good for now.
I was told the same thing a couple of years ago when I had an alignment done. -"all bushings look fine". Comes to be when I lowered, and replaced the bushings, the old bushings were worn pretty bad around the sleeves that you couldn't see without disassembly. Pivot bushings the same. Cracked and dry rotting around the steel sleeves. I recommend doing them sooner rather than later, especially if they are original. Added bonus, you get to inspect the pivot arm bracket and mounting point easily.
Your handling will improve unbelievably.

Still ...

I'm lame and I apologize.

Your understanding is appreciated.

I was told the same thing a couple of years ago when I had an alignment done. -"all bushings look fine". Comes to be when I lowered, and replaced the bushings, the old bushings were worn pretty bad around the sleeves that you couldn't see without disassembly. Pivot bushings the same. Cracked and dry rotting around the steel sleeves. I recommend doing them sooner rather than later, especially if they are original. Added bonus, you get to inspect the pivot arm bracket and mounting point easily.
Your handling will improve unbelievably.

I hear ya, Jim, and it's only time & money, right? I'm hoping I can buy another DD in the next year or so and let the ol' girl become a hangar queen like Ron's! :tu

I hear ya, Jim, and it's only time & money, right? I'm hoping I can buy another DD in the next year or so and let the ol' girl become a hangar queen like Ron's! :tu
Time is more like it. The cost of the bushings and the time replacing them is cheap compared to setting the suspension back to a "new" condition. A Saturday afternoon will do it. I'll even come south to help if necessary. I have to pay back to the Board.
Go for it.

Upper intake all painted. Yea or nay for the black paint in the grooves?
81fb03ac18fd6a80448e1b792c644ae5.jpg

I LOVE IT! Like Tom said it makes it pop! What "silver" paint did you use, Jim? I've tried a few different brands but haven't found one I like yet.

I LOVE IT! Like Tom said it makes it pop! What "silver" paint did you use, Jim? I've tried a few different brands but haven't found one I like yet.

Its not silver. Duplicolor DE1650 cast coat aluminum ceramic engine enamel. The black is duplicolor gloss black.

Back