Things are starting to come together

Thank you Travis (FlatOut)! Tensioner seems to work. I cannot run a shorter belt as that puts the tensioner arm up in to the edge of the AC compressor. I might look at pushing the tensioner out a bit further towards the radiator, but that starts to interfere with the fan and the pulley would be slightly off center with the belt. Going to see how this setup does, I just do not like the two sides of the belt being so close. Only did the idle and a couple of revs, but nothing flew off. Also note this is still with the 9.2" lower and 3.25 upper, going to see how that does with the tensioner, but I have an 8.2" lower and plenty of uppers on hand
🙂

can you move the idler near the blower down at all to spread that gap out?

If the tensioner were to get full travel would it hit the lower belt? just trying to get an idea if with belt stretch it can make contact

The top tensioner is fixed as it bolts straight to the blower. **However I do have a bracket Derek sold me that I might try to use, but my BOV is in the way right now. I'll have to go look closer at the travel of the arm. Also, it's the three little pads on the AC clutch that get in the way. I need to replace the compressor and looking at new ones they do not have those pads so that is an option too. I also found a belt between the K080740HD and K080735HD which is a K080738HD. That one is on the way, I'll be a Gates dealer soon LOL.

Looks like the tensioner is now working good I think. Need more time to make sure, but tonight everything was solid. I did have to make some changes most notably I had to drill a new hole in the blower bracket about 1/2" above the existing top tensioner bracket hole. The allowed the new tensioner bracket to slide up and in turn the tensioner to move up and I could further rotate it clockwise as I had built the tensioner bracket with multiple dowel pin holes (back of the auto tensioner has a dowel). The allowed me to run a better fitting belt. Problem was this put the tensioner arm in to the AC compressor clutch plate as the stock one has like 3 1/2" pads on it see pics. Because I need a new compressor any way I pulled the plate off and just used a washer on the remaining portion of the clutch. Looking at new compressors they have a different style in the front so I think everything will fit good.

So I took the truck out and made a good 3rd gear pull on the freeway up to about 5200 and then I chickened out :) Truck made solid steady boost up to 11 psi. Also did a quick 1st gear stab and boost looked good as well so no more belt slip in lower gears I *think*. Need to do more data logging to be sure, but it's pretty damn violent so I think it's good. I did have to go with the 8.2" lower and 3.25" upper as my belt assortment only had a belt that fit that combo. That's fine as it means I have some combos to play with. Whew! See pictures below.

ac pads.jpg

20220908_033521224_iOS.jpg

20220908_021259118_iOS.jpg

20220908_021306520_iOS.jpg

20220908_033530912_iOS.jpg

Boost and RPM 3rd Gear.JPG

A new shiny to replace the last new shiny. Moral of this story is do not use Hardwire PDUs. Great people, great price, but the software and some of the features are terrible. I mean the truck runs fine, but there's issues like terrible datalogging, flaky/frustrating software, etc. So I bit the bullet and spent money on this ECU Master PMU16-DL like I should have to begin with and not have let the Hardwire's lower price sway me. This unit also brings a bunch more features, is at least 1/3'rd the size, and has really nice software which is nice.
I will say even through all this I am sold on PDUs big time, the cleanup, control, and logging are definitely worth it.

20220915_145401043_iOS.jpg

Go... drive... your... truck!!
I also didn't mention in my FB post or here, but several times now when keying on it sounds like the fuel pump is barely getting voltage and then it will speed up and finish the prime. Then roughly 4-5 times my fuel pressure went to around 10psi while driving luckily not under boost! At about the same time as that happens the Hardwire decided it no longer wanted to datalog, so something is up. I've lost confidence in their PDM, plus the software straight out sucks. Hopefully the truck makes the 60 mile round trip to Goodguys tomorrow. My biggest fear is the truck dying where they have the freeway under construction and down to 2 lanes with no shoulders and people flying by doing 80... So yeah, I don't like anxiety when I am going to do something fun.

That stinks man! Hopefully they will back their product and give you something to offset the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That stinks man! Hopefully they will back their product and give you something to offset the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll see, like I said they seem like a good place and willing to help. Mainly I just need them to check it out so I can sell it :)

I setup one of the pushbuttons in the truck to close the relays to both fuel pumps. I figured why in the world have all that redundancy and not be able to summon it on demand.

The more I, ahem, drive my truck the more I wanted to have a tasty beverage. So I whipped up a little cup holder adapter for the console. This is on draft print quality and I need to make the inside diameter just a bit larger so the cup sits all the way down, but it looks like it's going to work well.

20220920_160743071_iOS.jpg
20220920_160656394_iOS.jpg
20220920_160706607_iOS.jpg

Thats awesome. The existing hole just tricks you Into thinking it will hold a cup. Have you thought about maybe going a little taller? Maybe a little more support.

Back