PiMPxs (MS3)

I've always run AEM widebands in everything i've ever built. I have one running thru my PIMPXS without any issue.

Ok. I got the email! I'm going to figure out what I'll do soon! Thanks guys!

I'm going to just swap with the AEM one. I also added a PT gauge in error so at least we are getting that fixed!

Just starting out. Mild build with an old Paxton SN93 supercharger. Just wanting to enjoy a period correct truck. I know that supercharger is mostly a waste of time but it was on the truck already. Again not setting the world on fire.

How would that work Raymond? Would it be designed inside of the PiMPxshift housing and then just the O2 sensor wired up through the stock harness?

It would take some thought, but basically yes the Spartan controller moves in to the old EEC-IV housing. Then some type of harness would need to be made to either adapt the original truck wiring to the O2 sensor harness or just run a new one up to the computer like you do for the vacuum hose. Now granted an O2 harness is not as easy as the vacuum line, but I bet the Stinger guys could come up with a cool solution.

Have you guys thought about including a Spartan 2 OEM (https://www.14point7.com/products/spartan-2-oem) in your build? That sure would make it all in one :)

We chose not to have a built-in wideband for multiple reasons. First is because that forces people who already have a wideband (common for modified engines) to have to buy one again if it's built-in (added cost to the customer). Second is because we're then relying on 14point7's product availability (something that's notoriously inconsistent) to allow us to build ECU's, and the third reason is because it complicates the process of fixing a "dead controller". Instead of simply replacing an external controller (which isn't required to run the engine after it's tuned, so the vehicle remains operable during this time), it would instead require shipping the ECU back to us for repair, making the vehicle inoperable for a couple weeks for shipping back and forth, repair time, etc.). The 4th reason is because a built-in unit locks us in to "old" wideband technology. Just since we introduced the first generation PiMP, there have been two newer wideband sensor types to come out (which each requires different controller hardware). Having an external controller allows us to offer the latest and greatest wideband technology without board redesigning for each new version ($$$). As an example, the Spartan 2 is now a "legacy" product as there is a newer version coming out that uses the new "ADV" sensor.

That all makes absolute perfect sense. I've been hoping to get a hold of the new Spartan 3 with the advanced sensor but as you said they're out of stock

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Ok! I'm ready for the PimpXS!! Excited for it to get it! hahah! I'm not going overboard on it, am I?

tlfuWLB.jpg

Is the glass half full or half empty? Hell No, It's half way to my second.

We sold Spartan 3's for a few months about 18 months ago but then they went out of stock and have been out since then. What's coming will be a different controller design (board and packaging) and will be more expensive than the Spartan 2. I'm not sure I like the new Spartan 3 packaging for a plug and play application but we'll see how customers feel about it. Spartan 2 has been out of stock since mid-March but that's supposed to end in about a month (though this was also the case 2 months ago, and a month ago so we'll see). No ETA for the Spartan 3's according to 14point7. We did get a batch of pre-production Spartan 3 Lite's to fulfill Spartan 2 backorders but they only sent enough to fulfill backorders and nothing more so those were gone as soon as they arrived.

Supply chain for all sorts of products has been an absolute nightmare to deal with for the last year (even basic stuff you'd think would be fine like name brand mufflers) so we're just fortunate to still be producing ECU's.

Yeah getting some parts is crazy, although having said that Alan is simply a victim of his own success.

What do you guys think of the new CAN AEMs and Zeitronixs(sp)?

We sell the CAN AEM's and they work flawlessly and the CAN is easy to configure (and they save our butt when Spartan's aren't available since we still have something to offer). Most of our customers wire them the traditional way though (analog) because it doesn't require the expansion connector and two pins/wires like CAN does and many don't know what CAN is.

AEM just got bought out by Holley though so I'm hoping it doesn't change AEM like it changed Flowmaster when Holley bought them (let's just say that the business side of things like billing, inventory, drop shipments, etc. certainly didn't get better).

Spartan 3 is faster as it can use the ADV sensor (which is faster responding). The main advantage of CAN in this type of install is that you don't have to worry about ground offsets that can cause the reading to be off a few tenths. With CAN, it's a direct feed so there is no way for it to be off at all.

Will this ECU work in a ‘96 F-150/Bronco with OBDII?
I ask because the cutoff year seems to be 1995.

I had a 96 too and bought a whole 95 parts truck for the engine, under hood, dash, door and interior harnesses. It was a pretty big job.

I also have my old SCT X3 I used when I was obd2. It worked well with a mild combo and it has made its best passes to date using the stock ecu and SCT. I returned it to stock before I pulled the old ecu and harness out so it’s ready to go if you’re interested.

Back