PiMPxs (MS3)

Ok like I said in previous post as far as USB cord was a MOFO I did relocate the Map vacuum to rear of ECU . It would be a HUGE HELP for Gen 1 owners if both coulb be set up from stinger that way but overcome adapt....I do have a quick 4 already and an MTX wideband that hooked right in. Im still going through a VE auto tune setup so thats where im at

Yes, I already addressed that there are other ways to communicate with the ECU other than the USB port if desired/necessary. I also addressed that the MAP can be moved easily.

If you can't handle moving a pin or two if necessary (a process that only takes a few minutes and doesn't do anything that isn't reversible and doesn't require any cutting of wires) then you certainly shouldn't be trying to install a new ECU/trans controller and tune it. That's a much bigger deal from an ability/investment/time standpoint than moving a few pins. I understand the desire to be absolutely 100% tailored to your application but when there were only 11,500 Lightnings built, only some of those remain, and only a small portion of those remaining are looking to replace the ECU, so it's not a large enough market to command it's own product when we can build a product that will work perfectly for your application (and a bunch of others) with a few minutes of work and not have to spend thousands in development costs/machining differences/inventory to save each Lightning owner a few minutes of time.

We're doing what we can to fill what we see as a void in the market. Hopefully it is appreciated and you guys are willing to support our efforts.

FYI, our prototype work will be done in the Charlotte, NC area so if there is a willing Lightning owner in the area, let me know.

True, lightning trucks are limited edition and getting smaller. I just want to throw this out out. There are a lot of truck owners with basic model f150, f250, f350 351w with e4od that are modifying their trucks. Not only for racing but for better tow rating, better performance, better tune-ability. There are definitely more than 11,500 opportunity out there! Hopefully you will fill that void in the market and be a game changer regarding the e4od community.

The USB connection is on the MS3 board (The Megasquirt board we buy, not any of the stuff we make custom for this ECU) and it doesn't package well in any other location when also trying to squeeze transmission control into the ECU case. So moving the whole board in order to move the USB port isn't a trivial thing. We're exploring what our options are though and we have a few different methods we'll try out to get the USB cable out the case on the opposite end as the EEC connector once we have the prototypes assembled and have a local F150 to mock it up in. The ideas we have will most certainly work, it's just a matter of figuring out which one results in the best end product while also not taking a ton of time to customize for the application.

The USB connection is on the MS3 board (The Megasquirt board we buy, not any of the stuff we make custom for this ECU) and it doesn't package well in any other location when also trying to squeeze transmission control into the ECU case. So moving the whole board in order to move the USB port isn't a trivial thing. We're exploring what our options are though and we have a few different methods we'll try out to get the USB cable out the case on the opposite end as the EEC connector once we have the prototypes assembled and have a local F150 to mock it up in. The ideas we have will most certainly work, it's just a matter of figuring out which one results in the best end product while also not taking a ton of time to customize for the application.

That would be awesome if you could figure something out to move the USB and map sensor port to the opposite end of the case from the 60 pin connector.

It sounds like we need to find you someone with a pretty stock truck near Charlotte to help you do some testing.

That would be awesome if you could figure something out to move the USB and map sensor port to the opposite end of the case from the 60 pin connector.

It sounds like we need to find you someone with a pretty stock truck near Charlotte to help you do some testing.

I believe it's pretty open under the dash/kick panel at the rear of the ECU so exact location shouldn't be too critical. I can't seem to find any good pictures of the clearance at the rear of the ECU case to verify my memory is correct though. Maybe one of you have a picture of this?

Yes, we'll need a Charlotte area truck to figure out the best MAP/USB location and also to develop the E4OD base tune and work out all the small details to ensure that it works as expected.

Ok like I said in previous post as far as USB cord was a MOFO I did relocate the Map vacuum to rear of ECU.

Relocating the MAP before it ships is trivial. If you'd provide more detailed information about the USB we may find all it takes is a 90 degree end on the USB cable or something simple like that. Unfortunately with the information provided thus far there is no way to know for sure. If you could provide additional details regarding what "was a MOFO" means you had to do, it would be great.

The computer slides into our firewall *** end first. The only sides that are accessible are the 60 pin connector end from the engine compartment and the *** end from inside the truck.

The computer slides into our firewall *** end first. The only sides that are accessible are the 60 pin connector end from the engine compartment and the *** end from inside the truck.

I believe if you remove the little plastic stopper bracket behind the ECU (one bolt) and the kick panel that it will slide out from the inside as well.

Regardless, what I was getting at is the user above clearly got it to work one way or another but didn't expand on what it took to get it to work. That information would be helpful.

Hopefully someone that has access to the inside of their truck can post up a picture of the metal cage that the stock PCM slides into.

Maybe it's only the late 80's versions that work as I stated above and the 90's ones have a cage?

It’s not really a cage, it’s more of an L shaped support. The bottom is horizontal. But the problem is the opening in the firewall which pretty much dictated stock case dimensions. The PnP case is too tall and fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe if you remove the little plastic stopper bracket behind the ECU (one bolt) and the kick panel that it will slide out from the inside as well.

Regardless, what I was getting at is the user above clearly got it to work one way or another but didn't expand on what it took to get it to work. That information would be helpful.

FYI there is a steel support right above the ECU exactly behind the USB port I found to be a major hiccup . On MY lightning and I assume there not different there is the emergency brake bracket that bolts to a lot of stuff AKA the cast aluminum .It doesn't look that easy to just remove without a lot of Headache so removing ECU from inside is NOT practical in my OP bad enough you need to drop inner fender to remove it normally unless you make a access through the inner with a nice fab cover hence what I did to make my life easy

I am curious, do we have to run MASS Air FLOW meter with PIMPx?

You can if you want but you certainly don't have to. It can run speed density, mass air, alpha N, etc. With that said, none of our customers tend to run mass air as they never find the need to add complexity and cost to it once they are up and running in speed density mode and it runs better than it ever has before.

Last edited:
Thats awesome news! That makes changing injectors a lot easier without having to find a meter calibrated for the injectors. Thanks!

You can if you want but you certainly don’t have to. It can run speed density, mass air, alpha N, etc. With that said, none of our customers tend to run mass air as they never find the need to add complexity and cost to it once they are up and running in speed density mode and it runs better than it ever has before.

Whoo my ms3 xs came today. Cant wait to get truck finished up. Do appreciate the fast shippin
277c57794235fea4a6576352bd19adeb.jpg
bc7ef58c4d5bffe6f7c5e5156ebc4a5f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am interested in a set up for my truck in the near future as tuning with my stock ecu has been problematic. Issue is I have a 96 F150 obd2 with a 104 pin connector. Do you have something to work on my truck with the e4od controls as well? Seems I’m an even bigger minority then the lightning guys lol.

Back