My new truck

Looks good man. How's it run?

Good and strong. Very torquey. Drive ability with the holley 600 is excellent. Put almost 3k miles of daily driving on it this summer. MY only gripe is tough starting when hot. I think the 10:1 compression is gonna need a gear reduction starter. It cranks real slow when it's warm. Been looking into a stock 460 starter from a 95 F250/350.

Haters gonna hate ron!

Good and strong. Very torquey. Drive ability with the holley 600 is excellent. Put almost 3k miles of daily driving on it this summer. MY only gripe is tough starting when hot. I think the 10:1 compression is gonna need a gear reduction starter. It cranks real slow when it's warm. Been looking into a stock 460 starter from a 95 F250/350

Do you think it runs as well as your lightning?

Definitely do the starter. I have an autozone one in my truck and in my dads truck both 460s and over 10:1 and they start great all year long. One of the best upgrades I've done.

Do you think it runs as well as your lightning?

Definitely do the starter. I have an autozone one in my truck and in my dads truck both 460s and over 10:1 and they start great all year long. One of the best upgrades I've done.

I think so, maybe a little better. Guy on FTE did an identical build and on an engine dyno it made about 350hp/450tq. My Lightning made about 230hp and a little over 300 ft.-lbs at the rear wheels. It's been so long since I drove the Lightning it's hard to tell. The track will tell the tale in the spring time...

I'll get those stock alcoas from the bronco stripped and polished and try to dig up some used slicks

Picked up a contour bumper from a bronco. It'll get powder coated black after I do a little work on it.

20160127_150901.jpg

20160127_150915.jpg

Got up to almost 60* here today so I fired it up and pulled it out of the garage.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/joshual78/Bruce August 2015/20160209_163735.mp4

Did you check first to make sure the brackets work? My dad had my bumper laying around from a bronco and the brackets didn't reach the frame. Had to wait another year or so until I tracked down another truck with a bent bumper but good brackets.

Did you check first to make sure the brackets work? My dad had my bumper laying around from a bronco and the brackets didn't reach the frame. Had to wait another year or so until I tracked down another truck with a bent bumper but good brackets.

They don't reach, I'll be welding on some extension

Somebody had welded part of a hitch to the bottom and used one of the lamp holes for a trailer plug. I had originally planned to shave the top carriage bolts but after looking at how they key to the bumper bracket slot decided it was not a good idea.

Here it is all slicked up with some gloss black powdercoat. Where I filled the license lamp holes is still a bit low. If I had a do-over I would have filled with some JB weld

- - - Updated - - -

Modifying the bronco brackets. Originally I thought I wouldn't be re-using any of the holes so I cut the end of the bracket off straight. If you want the bumper tucked tight to the body (a little over a finger width) you will re-usle the hole on my splice.

Most of the weld has to be ground flush to accommodate the support bracket, so after tacking and fitting the brackets I ground a nice channel with my die grinder for a fillet weld.

Prepping lamp holes for the washer. Washer warped a good bit. A better way would be to cut a piece of 1/8" plate with a hole saw.

Here is a shot of my mockup apparatus, it's all highly technical

20160302_115140.jpg

20160318_201725.jpg

Next project will be some kind of traction bar to stop the wheel hop. What have u guys with a flipped rear axle done? Regular long bars are gonna hang too low. Bar will probably have to be on top of the spring/axle

Well hauled about 700 lbs of old garage door and yard waste to the dump and bottomed out a few times. Guess I'll be doing a c-notch then, probably the thorbros one. Also finishing the build this spring. Bed will be coming off to finish painting the frame and rear, c-notch will be done and oh yeah, anybody interested in a very gently used Holley 4160 600 cfm?

Goin EFI :cool:

Back