My new truck

HIVOLTJ

Project Old School
I got it a few weeks ago, but have been to busy to wash it up and take some pictures. Snapped some on my lunch break real quick today.

'77 F-150 2WD
87,000 miles
Rebuilt 400 w/ 4,000 miles
C6 Auto
4.10 gears w/ trac-lok

The truck is untouched other than the rear end and original engine being rebuilt. It is super, super clean. The original paint has some flaws (cracks, dents, scrapes etc.) But DAMN is is nice for original 35 year old paint.

2ltpr8k.jpg

vys1w9.jpg

14o8vas.jpg

s6tbbt.jpg

r6wsas.jpg

2mdkz5y.jpg

15s06si.jpg

14mx5pk.jpg

313k5k7.jpg

s2fghu.jpg

nfitck.jpg

9pq88x.jpg

kedsw1.jpg

2r6i92b.jpg

It has some cheesy *** cheap side mirrors that have to go, I'll find some good, used stockers. The heater core needs replaced, steering box probably needs rebuilt - something is loose. I don't care for the wheels, they are too 4x4-ish for me. It will get lowered and the wheels changed, but I'm not sure what or how much. I still have those '03 Cobra wheels sitting around, might see what they would look like. The engine bay needs some good cleaning and parts painted, and the engine needs a little more bling. I also need to find a chrome styleside or bronco non-step bumper for the rear.

Last edited:
Gotta give it too you Josh. That is one clean looking truck for its age. And that's the only thing that make it ok you bought a LONG bed!!:D seriously though nice truck. We could only hope our lightning will be that clean at that age.

Nice rig. After the 92-96 trucks, the 73-79 are my second favorite body style.

That thing is in beautiful condition for being 35 years old and nearly all original.

Very nice. Before I picked up my L I had one like that. Long bed with 300 six n a granny 4 spd a stump puller in 1st gear.

God Josh, that is just gorgeous.

Let's agree to two things right from the get-go ...

1. It's a keeper. Only in the most desperate of situations do consider parting with it.

2. In the unfortunate circumstance wherein the most desperate of situations occurs and you truly feel you must part with it, it goes to no one but me.

Deal?

I've got a couple of suggestions if you care to hear them ... I'll PM you though.

Josh that is a NICE truck for its age. Ive seen trucks that are 5 years old in WAY worse shape than that.

I really like the radio......:heart:

God Josh, that is just gorgeous.

Let's agree to two things right from the get-go ...

1. It's a keeper. Only in the most desperate of situations do consider parting with it.

2. In the unfortunate circumstance wherein the most desperate of situations occurs and you truly feel you must part with it, it goes to no one but me.

Deal?

I've got a couple of suggestions if you care to hear them ... I'll PM you though.

Deal. Thanks buddy. I have questions for you also. The engine bay needs Bumperquip'd for sure.

I'd like to lower the front about 1.5" and the rear 3-4" but it seems there is really no way to do that. I think drop beams are gonna put it too low...

Thanks guys!

My father in law had a 77 F150 just like it but burgandy and was a factory 460 truck with 2.75 gears! I swapped it to a 302 for gas mileage. Think I may have the 460 motor mounts and towers still laying around.

Last edited:
Good lookin' old ride Josh, i've had over a dozen of these trucks over the years, they're my favorite, don't care much for the LWB. I have a good SWB frame to bad you're not closer, or you can do like i did my 4x4 started as a LWB & i cut it down to get the popular shortie. The only problem is finding a good bed. This truck was built from the ground up but itsno where near as nice as yours.

My father in law had a 77 F150 just like it but burgandy and was a factory 460 truck with 2.75 gears! I swapped it to a 302 for gas mileage. Think I may have the 460 motor mounts and towers still laying around.

My dad is trying to get my uncle's '76 2wd F-250 in trade for a bronco, and he wants to swap out the 50k mile 460 for something easier on gas. I think a low-buck 466 build may be in this trucks future!

P.S. I have another lead locally on some slotted mag wheels...

Traded the current wheels today for six vintage slots. WOOT!
ifq1z7.jpg

Sanding and polishing to follow!

Center cap holes on the rear are smaller than the front, so in order to have matching caps I'm using the stock '90's style bolt-on ones. Gonna get started this weekend on sanding!

... and just about the coolest thing? Look at the location of the valve stems.

That's just awesome.

So what's the dealio with the center bores?

You might wanna talk to a machine shop and see what they'd charge to enlarge that bore on the rears. Then you can use matching push-throughs.

Last edited:
... and just about the coolest thing? Look at the location of the valve stems.

That's just awesome.

So what's the dealio with the center bores?

You might wanna talk to a machine shop and see what they'd charge to enlarge that bore on the rears. Then you can use matching push-throughs.

Hrm, did not think of that. On the 15x7 wheels the center bores measure just shy of 4.25", my caps from my old wheels wouldn't fit. The 15x8.5" ones measure more like 3-1/4" to 3-1/2"

I do know a good machine/fab/welding shop

I was thinking of doing this :

2775828793_cc2b3b28e4.jpg

with some of these stock Ford centers :

1992-1996 FORD F150 PICKUP, BRONCO CENTER CAP RED | eBay

What do ya think? Too much?

A guy on FTE photoshopped this for me :

hivoltj_zps41f369cc.jpg

Back