Its time to go Turbo!

I would agree. I'll look into it a bit more if its a problem but it seemed the first 20% was more like 40% of foot movement but the throttle wheel is an essentric so they may do that on purpose to make low positions more street friendly with the large opening, and then the last like 10% of pedal travel is like 60-100% TPS. This may be thru the design on the "pulley" but i just happened to catch it on the laptop screen.

Its snowy and cold up here so I will not be driving this anytime soon.

Just make sure your various TPS related items are not on/in that non-linear range. For instance, if you have your WOT determination in or around that spot you could get some unintended behavior. Same thing with EGO control, accel/decel, etc etc

....and it runs. Fired right up. idled good. there is snow on the ground so its not going outside for another month or so to start playing with it but I'm happy with the final product.

I had to steal the coupler for my boost leak checker so need to order a black coupler and then confirm there isn't any leaks. I did an o ring seal between the plenum and my CNC'd base as well as the throttle body.

last "image" is a video of it idling

i2ck1Agh.jpg

4Ch4GaRh.jpg

wTfc52Mh.jpg

bGy5PEyh.jpg

I'm going to leave it as is for a bit and see how it performs but I think my next step is to upgrade this little cam now to match the rest of the combo. I went with the trickflow stage 1 when the truck was completely stock and its still chugging along. With the gt40 intake and cam it noticeably falls off over 5k rpm. Would be nice to get it to stretch out closer to 6k. Without changing/notching the pistons (which I'm not planning on doing) I don't think much of a cam upgrade I can get away with, the 11r heads help a bit. I do see some guys running the stage 2 trickflow, which may be a decent upgrade. Obviously I would check for clearance to confirm but if I'm going to spend the money I'd like to be like 99% sure it would fit. I'm sure the cam guys have a good idea how to spec accordingly.

You can get away with considerably more lift in a 351, compared to a 302, without notching because the piston accelerates away from the head faster. Turbo cams with their wide LSAs also help.

Hey Travis, what length throttle cable did you use? 48"? Also can you share the IAC and TPS part numbers you used?

I am making my parts list for the Red Truck :) Also if you feel like making another throttle cable firewall bracket I'll take one! Just shoot me the price.

Hey Travis, what length throttle cable did you use? 48"? Also can you share the IAC and TPS part numbers you used?

I am making my parts list for the Red Truck :) Also if you feel like making another throttle cable firewall bracket I'll take one! Just shoot me the price.
I used the 36" cable. it was perfect length. ended up trimming 1 inch of excess off.

IAC and TPS are delphi pieces from rock auto.

TPS - SS10382
IAC - CV10017

I'm sure your not in a rush so I'll throw it on my list of things to do when I get a minute. feel free to bug me if you end up needing it before i get to it.

I used the 36" cable. it was perfect length. ended up trimming 1 inch of excess off.

IAC and TPS are delphi pieces from rock auto.

TPS - SS10382
IAC - CV10017

I'm sure your not in a rush so I'll throw it on my list of things to do when I get a minute. feel free to bug me if you end up needing it before i get to it.

Perfect! Thank you, and yeah no rush. I’ve got a coyote fuel pressure regulator mount I drew up as well. Just waiting on my buddy to test fit the 3D part and I’ll send you the file

only had a few minutes to play around with it today but it looks like we made some progress for sure. Switch the iac over to stepper and it starts and idles about the same which is convenient.

Accel enrich needs some work. The added air from the big throttle body has created quite the dead spot right off idle. added a few percent and it helped so need to play with that.

Drives pretty decent otherwise. Throttle feels good, smooth and controllable while cruising. Low and mid range don't really feel any different which is great. rolls into boost very similar. I added just a few % of fuel on the VE table in boost expecting it to need some extra up top and trying to be safe but over~ 4500rpm it went real lean real quick. by 5k its way lean, (at 13.0 I lifted) So I certainly look forward to dialing it in but its looking very promising that my design is going to do exactly what I was hoping it would do.

Last edited:
That's good to hear that the change to the IAC was uneventful going from PWM to stepper! Can't wait to see you drive it more.

That's good to hear that the change to the IAC was uneventful going from PWM to stepper! Can't wait to see you drive it more.
I'm very surprised the IAC required zero effort so far. I set it up to be stepper. Threw a couple settings in it from an tune I had for an LS car that I was playing with the tune remotely last summer and it starts, warms up and idles exactly how the closed loop has always done it. I have very little testing time at this point but its a great starting point. I think it should be easy from here.

What I’ve learned from all those hours messing with the idle and IAC on the megasquirt is that you should tune whatever you have as best as you can without the IAC before even turning it on. A/F, VE, Base Timing, Timing vs Load, ETC.

What I’ve learned from all those hours messing with the idle and IAC on the megasquirt is that you should tune whatever you have as best as you can without the IAC before even turning it on. A/F, VE, Base Timing, Timing vs Load, ETC.
I agree with this for sure. The less the IAC has to do the better. I'm about to try out a stepper IAC as well for my new ECU system. Hope it goes as well as his.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I plan on taking some time to get everything redialed back in. I was very happy with it before so I'm confident I can get it dialed in again. My initial drive was only about 10 minutes until it got dark and the due set in. Unfortunately, early March, and in CT doesn't allow for many nice days and especially nice evenings. I was just happy to see demand for fuel, because to me it shows added airflow where it lacked before. If it will continue to make power to ~5500, I'll be very happy.

Some more tinkering and upgrades. Was being a nerd and decided to experiment with a 1/4 wave resonator. If you have never heard about the theory do a quick search and its a rabbit hole of information. Basically a capped "j pipe" "T'd" into the exhaust that has a certain length to tune out harmonics. (basically eliminate a drone) After reviewing some online calculators and theories, I wanted to try it. The problem I found is the calculators require a speed of sound adjustment and speed of sound changes with temperature, so without knowing the temperature inside the pipe, I decided to take an guesstimate and then make my piece adjustable. after some rough length changes I found a spot that was significantly better and have made that the middle of the adjustment. I currently have 9" of adjustment and am making small changes now.

Fast forward, the more time i spent under the truck the more my transmission crossmember i made from a mix match of stuff 14 years ago bothered me. made a design, did some CAD for some brackets, Sent the file to laserbros in NC for some sheet metal laser cutting, received them yesterday and last night decided it was time to make the rest. Bent them and welded them up, mapped out the routing for the pipe. Bent up the bar, (garage needs to be bigger so pipe bender is lagged to my patio in the back yard) a little welding, a little bending, and a little painting later and I'm much happier with the product.

qnA8edQl.jpg

ZHSt7gbl.jpg

bT5dvmOl.jpg

XQmexcRl.jpg

YV9QHFpl.jpg

cDmiQ9il.jpg

vwcaZU6l.jpg

Amazing work like usual. Did you have a drone before? And has it helped with the new setup.
Thank you, and yeah, I've always been surprised how loud it is as a turbo engine which doesn't bother me because around town it sounds so good, but right at 65-70mph it had a pretty tough harmonic drone. Driving like 75-80 it mostly went away but that 65-70 is a pretty common cruising speed. So far my playing around with different lengths has made a very noticeable difference. There is a lot of science to it so a lot of variables. I think ideally I should be using the same size pipe as the exhaust but I didn't want to try and squeeze in another 4" piece but may in the future. With the design right now I can loosen the band clamp and slide it in and out to tune it, once I get it where I'm happy I will weld it for less chance of a failure.

Back