Its time to go Turbo!

Thanks guys, I'm happy with it for sure. Few more things to do to finalize it. Need to add a couple vac ports off the back. Cold side charge pipe, throttle cable/bracket. run a few extra wires for the stepper IAC.

I had considered making the adapter flange to fit the holly lids/intercooler options. Which would open up tons of options down the road. and I still could look into it for others but I need a holley piece to steal the flange dimensions from to reverse it. If somebody has a holley intake they could grab the rough length and width from to see what it would need to clear. But id still need one to accurately get the bolt pattern from. Looks like in pictures its longer than than mine so it may cover the distributor a bit more but a height adjustment could make it work still. Maybe a cool option for some to run the stock lower with either an intercooler or just a big lid.

Technically this project hasn't cost me much at all other than the throttle body. The material is all left over from other projects. The adapter is this size because it the size piece I had laying around. Wider may have been a bit easier to work with but I used what I had. The throttle body inlet adapter somebody had given me in trade from some welding a year or so back so that really didn't cost anything either. Sheet metal for sides and top was $44 laser cut and shipped and the lower flange was $60 rough cut.

here are some in progress photos because i always enjoy seeing others adventures. In a perfect world Id like to be a little better welder but between all the billet pieces limiting the amount of weld required and some practice I'm proud to put my name on it.

gq1GGFHh.png

TaiU4Gfh.jpg

P8e8CQXh.jpg

ao0Bgzrh.jpg

sy79Xueh.jpg

upnCBm8h.jpg

IdPvSuhh.jpg

lQDGKDrh.jpg

I8hvySlh.jpg

TK1dGodh.jpg

ohKFSWZh.jpg

My Hi Ram lower is still sitting until I get all my trucks in one place LOL. What measurements do you need?

My Hi Ram lower is still sitting until I get all my trucks in one place LOL. What measurements do you need?
Just the overall flange size. Length and width. That will give me an idea if this idea is possible to make the lower adapter that would accept the holley upper components and still fit out trucks and the distributor.

Ray. That is probably good enough until I can get my hands on one and map out the actual bolt pattern.

Absolutely awesome Travis! Can’t wait to hear how it performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy with how the charge pipe came out. 4" is probably too much for my power level but it sure looks cool. Since the motion throttle body uses GM stepper IACV and tps i have to a little wiring. I went with the motion throttle cable too and it looks like a pretty nice piece and hooks right to our pedal and their throttle body so should be a simple installation.
4kv5coqh.jpg

Tnm4WI5h.jpg

i38DcGPh.jpg

got the throttle cable routed. didnt like the angle the cable goes thru the firewall so modeled up a angled adapter and 3d printed it for test fit. works great, cable is now pointed right at the pedal like its suppose to. Will make it out of billet when I have a minute but 3d printed works for now and the throttle feels good.
4Yfun2Lh.jpg

LugV9h0h.jpg

pfnPBElh.jpg

That is so cool, you'll have to tell me how that stepper LS IAC performs compared to the Ford PWM IAC. I had thought about going with a Motion TB too.

So much fabby goodness. Makes me a little envious!

How much spring do you have in that BOV?
It has the white spring, which looks like 8 psi according to the internet. I had to open it and look because I couldn't remember. I may have chosen this before the tune was dialed in and definitely before I had my heads but Tial website says use it for engines that are 12-15in/hg at idle. I just looked at a datalog and warm I'm at ~7.5psi which is 15.2in/hg. but either way, it seems to works good.

More throttle cable routing completed, made a fancy little bracket to hold the cable towards the back on the intake. welded two vac ports to the back for my vacuum block and booster. Also wired the TPS and IAC. in test mode the IAC works so thats promising. TPS doesn't seem linear thru the range. so may need to look into that.

JDU38h5h.jpg

t1BU2yEh.jpg

iNNVTZmh.jpg

Does TPS need to be linear? The low end needs to be pretty spot on, but beyond about 50%, both the throttle opening itself and the sensor reading gets to be a bit "chunky" (small movements make very little difference).

Does TPS need to be linear? The low end needs to be pretty spot on, but beyond about 50%, both the throttle opening itself and the sensor reading gets to be a bit "chunky" (small movements make very little difference).
I would agree. I'll look into it a bit more if its a problem but it seemed the first 20% was more like 40% of foot movement but the throttle wheel is an essentric so they may do that on purpose to make low positions more street friendly with the large opening, and then the last like 10% of pedal travel is like 60-100% TPS. This may be thru the design on the "pulley" but i just happened to catch it on the laptop screen.

Its snowy and cold up here so I will not be driving this anytime soon.

Back