GT47-88 First Gen

Went to Cecil on Friday night. As I drove it off the street 93 oct fuel, 28# in the hard street tires. Going through tech he guy asked how fast I was going to go I said 12's. He laughed and said 12's? I said yep, keep in mind from the outside it looks as stock as can be. Lined up with a buddy of a buddy with a supercharged ss trailblazer. I left first he pulled by me and was a car length ahead by the 8th, I reeled him in and passed him by the 1/4. He ran a 11.8@115 i ran a 12.2 @ 120. I got the win light and did not expect to see that he went 11's on his first pass ever. Oh well It was a new best for the L. I decided to run another pass. It went 12.1@120. Even better... I still want 11's but it is straight out of gear. 3.73's on the mod list. I will post the link for the video later.

Last edited:
ya I played the gear game with the single. I tried 3.55s which were great for cruising and it went some 11.30s with them but then went to 3:73s and is MUCH better. I was like you ... running out of gear by the 1/4 with the 4:10s

are you leaving with boost??

I am not leaving in boost. I have toyed with the idea of putting a 2-step on the truck. I have a level 10 converter, I believe it is a 2800 stall. Possibly it would make a pound or two at that rpm?

I am not leaving in boost. I have toyed with the idea of putting a 2-step on the truck. I have a level 10 converter, I believe it is a 2800 stall. Possibly it would make a pound or two at that rpm?

I was able to get mine to leave on 6psi!! with a linelock only holding front tires,2 step, PI3000 stall converter and et street radials!! 2-step helps alot!! even if you only leave on 2 psi you will be amazed on how much of a difference it makes

I have a tiny exhaust leak I am going to go after, to try to get it to spool a little quicker, possibly the two step. What are your thoughts about letting the trans shift its self vs using the manual mode with the baumann trans controller? Jamie told me to always let it shift its self as it will always be faster... Thus far he is correct. But If I could get it to go into od before 5950rpm I bet I could get the 11 sec slip before I change anything else...

Gumby the video has been removed by user? I qiut my desk job so I am not online that often. I went to Ceil last Friday and ran 11.84@120.9 So I am happy for now. I think it is as fast as any first gen with OE tires and stock gears and bone stock bottom end. I think the single 2.5" uppipe is becoming a restriction and when I build the engine (hopefully it will not need it any time soon), knocking on wood, I will upgrade to a 3" up-pipe.

gen1sve. nice setup. def. sleeper looking. i live in wilmington also, (bellefonte). have only seen a black lightning around the area. im sure ill hear yours if u go buy. congrats on the 11's

This is a different video but still with using the 2 step but only leaving on 2.7psi and trans slipping but its the built in a soft touch rev limiter in my MSD Dig7

2-step cuts the spark from seperate cylinders which helps build boost off the line in turbo applications along with being able to leave at the same rpm everytime.
That was one of launches with the trans slip so it was only 1.71 60ft.

cuts spark as in only minimal spark at all 8 cylinders at the same time? Sorry for the ignorance, im very new to the turbo gasser world. But ive been in the powerstroke world for a long while.

I went to Ceil last Friday and ran 11.84@120.9 So I am happy for now. I think it is as fast as any first gen with OE tires and stock gears and bone stock bottom end.

I never saw anyone run a 11 second pass with street tires with a Gen 1 Lightning! Very Impressive!
If you had a good converter & slicks that truck can easily run in the 10's :D

I never saw anyone run a 11 second pass with street tires with a Gen 1 Lightning! Very Impressive!
If you had a good converter & slicks that truck can easily run in the 10's :D

I am putting some 3.73 gears in it and running true street @ Atco on May 14th. Hopefully it will run some 11's then too.

I am putting some 3.73 gears in it and running true street @ Atco on May 14th. Hopefully it will run some 11's then too.

great truck bud i am building a 93 right now should have my bottom end back soon! i could pick your brain for tons of questions! im goinng to use the pony down manifolds. what fuel set up are you running ??

It hit the limit of the A-1000 pump. No matter what I do I cant get more than 45lb of fuel pressure. Weldon 1100 going in, and a SHP 377/383. The Stock Deck needs to be freshened, combustion gasses even worked their way around a set of cometics, blew a couple of chunks out of the edge of the deck:(

Back