GT47-88 First Gen

Gen1SVE

I found some extra time, a GT47-88 and had alot of stainless tubing and flange material sitting around. The results can be seen in the pictures. I recycled many pieces like a powerstroke downpipe flange for the compressor outlet flange, just fill the flange surface and mill it to give it more mating area. I constructed the downpipe flange to run a 4" downpipe. The bracket that holds the turbo from 1/2 inch plate and stainless angle. I will take more pics of the pieces as I tear the kit off to redo the headgaskets, loc-wires are weak.

Man that looks mean!! Wish I had the funds to do the turbo. Buying the Cobra taxed me. I want a turbo bad!! Actually I want 2 turbos. LOL.

Did you reuse the cross over pipe or build a new one? Looks good! What are you expecting the results to be?

As of now I an still using the 2.5" crossover. A very expirenced turbo tuner stated that the turbine wheel is still more of a restriction than a 2.5" inlet to the turbo. The A/R on this turbo is a 1.08. If you were to build a high winding 408 twin gt47-88's would be great for a race engine.

i think my buddy is better off just building a 427 or 438 with the twin 47-88's

thanks buddy!

sharp ride, that turbo dwarfs everything else in the engine bay

I broke the driveshaft at 116mph at the stripe at cecil. I did not think it was a huge deal until I looked under the truck and found the extention housing on the trans broken. I did not think that was a big deal until I started the truck and put it in first and climbed under the truck to discover the output shaft was wobbling 1/2 inch per revolution. Now I was upset. The wife and I are trying to save to build a house. I know I can not rip the trans out and send it to be rebuilt. Every quote was 1000+ I always wanted to build my own trans. I have a couple of guys at work that were certified ford techs. I borrowed all the tools and manual to rebuild the trans. Long story short it was slightly stressful but in the end it is rebuilt and working better than it was a someone put a incorrect outer valvebody gasket in the trans the last time it was built. A split in the gasket allowed the trans to work. I also upgraded to a 4 clutch overdrive pack. Next changes will be to make longbars, full 4" exhaust, driveshaft loop, and a fine tune.

The truck went 12.5 @ 116. I since rebuilt the trans on my own, built a driveshaft loop and longbars, I went last friday and ran a best of 12.6@117. I was on the limiter through the stripe. Street tires are holding the truck back. I did put ET streets on the truck once and spun a clutch through the forward drum. If I hit the lottery I will put a billet forward drum in the trans, put the ET streets on it and lift to get the trans into OD at the track, but for now it is enough and a ton of fun on the street.

Nice work on that truck.I was just wondering. What did you use for turbo headers?I am thinking about trying this because we are just about done with the turbo stang my brother and I are building and I just happened to have a t-series 76 mm with a .96 ar lying around.I also have a spare cooler and probably just about enough cold piping and silicone couplings also.Plus a spare evol. w/g and blow-off valve.The mustang engine build got out of control so we upgraded from a 76 to 95 mm hairdryer.I'd like to see your truck sometime, if you didn't mind.I only live about 45 minutes away.I'm always done in the west chester area.

Like to see some pic's of how you ran your 4" DP.

I am in the middle of getting things together for a turbo build on my SuperCab L.

The headers I am using which were reccomended ate the motorsport shorties. They are large enough to support 1000hp and they have a single flange which makes sealing the headers to the head a snap.

BlueOval I will try to get a picture of the downpipe to you. It takes the same path a silverstate motorsports downpipe takes.

18095d1257425827-gt47-88-first-gen-1101091411a.jpg

i know i am new and all, but i think some header wrap on the downpipe and a turbine cover would lower your under hood temps and probably your IATs.

18095d1257425827-gt47-88-first-gen-1101091411a.jpg

i know i am new and all, but i think some header wrap on the downpipe and a turbine cover would lower your under hood temps and probably your IATs.

There is no doubt wrap and a turbine blanket would help with heat in all aspects, except for material longevity. If I did any insulation I would build a shield for both the turbine and the downpipe. I dont like using insulating wraps. I have never had an issue with heat. I did drive the truck for the first time on a 90+ degree day last week and it was crusing around 180, I also installed water meth and that made a Huge difference. Traction in third is now questionable.

Back