GT47-88 First Gen

i'd raise the limiter, you might be rebuilding the trans again if you hit OD at WOT.

I will not raise the limiter as I think the stock bottom end is on borrowed time as it is. 5950 is the current limit. If I shifted into od I would lift to say 50% then get back into it. I dont know if I want to put 3.73's in the truck. I think that that would be the best solution to my problem though.

I will not raise the limiter as I think the stock bottom end is on borrowed time as it is. 5950 is the current limit. If I shifted into od I would lift to say 50% then get back into it. I dont know if I want to put 3.73's in the truck. I think that that would be the best solution to my problem though.

He means the speed limiter :thumbup:

He means the speed limiter :thumbup:

i meant the rev limiter, and why would you want lift to 50% throttle going down the track? bouncing off the limiter for 300 feet will go faster than lifting and getting it into OD. what size tire are you running?

i'd raise the limiter, you might be rebuilding the trans again if you hit OD at WOT.

if you let a STOCK e4od shift o/d at wot with moderate power in front of it youre gonna have an overdrive planet failure. they are not designed to take that kind of load/abuse!!! and when that planet fails it takes alot of parts with it!

if you let a STOCK e4od shift o/d at wot with moderate power in front of it youre gonna have an overdrive planet failure. they are not designed to take that kind of load/abuse!!! and when that planet fails it takes alot of parts with it!

PA built the trans twice and I believe it has a 6 pinion od planet. Yea called Harvey and it does have the upgraded od planet. His concern is the input shaft.

PA built the trans twice and I believe it has a 6 pinion od planet. Yea called Harvey and it does have the upgraded od planet. His concern is the input shaft.

its a 4 pinion. why the input shaft? if youre that concerned about it, have it cryo treated. it wont break. they rarely break. ive got several 4r100s behind gen 2s (800ft/lbs, truck weight 5400lbs) and have never broke an input.

its a 4 pinion. why the input shaft? if youre that concerned about it, have it cryo treated. it wont break. they rarely break. ive got several 4r100s behind gen 2s (800ft/lbs, truck weight 5400lbs) and have never broke an input.

I understand you are the man when it comes to trans in these trucks. I have a question about forward drums. I keep breaking this drum in different locations. I spun a clutch through one, and when I built the trans the last time there was a crack where the intermideate shaft mates to the forward drum. Is there an updated piece or is the billet steel the only upgrade?

I understand you are the man when it comes to trans in these trucks. I have a question about forward drums. I keep breaking this drum in different locations. I spun a clutch through one, and when I built the trans the last time there was a crack where the intermideate shaft mates to the forward drum. Is there an updated piece or is the billet steel the only upgrade?

the billet drum is very expensive and unnecessary imo. use an e4od 4 plate drum. (not a 4r100 drum.) this will have a full depth spline. also have it cryo-treated. this usually keeps the ring land from blowing off and also makes the drum stronger overall.

i meant the rev limiter, and why would you want lift to 50% throttle going down the track? bouncing off the limiter for 300 feet will go faster than lifting and getting it into OD. what size tire are you running?

I am bouncing off the limiter on a stock size tire.

I am guessing 3.73 for stock size tires and 3.55 for smaller slicks?

yep thats what I was doing!! I have a few sets(gears) left over from my stangs and I just played with it till I found which was best. For my truck the 30"(315/65/15 M/T et street radial) and 3.73s works the best.:thumbup:

no reprogram needed. speedo may be off for tire size but not the gear ratio. so like 1-3mph

yep thats what I was doing!! I have a few sets(gears) left over from my stangs and I just played with it till I found which was best. For my truck the 30"(315/65/15 M/T et street radial) and 3.73s works the best.:thumbup:

no reprogram needed. speedo may be off for tire size but not the gear ratio. so like 1-3mph

Thanks Gumby!!! A set of gears and tires perhaps I can be in the 10's also. I know I have enough turbo. :blink:

Pics of the updated exhaust... When I built the kit I kept the borla cat back exhaust as the truck was due for inspection. After I got it through inspection I built a 4" exhaust to the rear. I used a 4" magnaflow muffler and gutted an aeroturbine muffler that was sitting around. I did not like the chamber in the muffler. I tried to keep it looking as sleeper as possible.

Back