Getting the Red/Black 93 Back on the Road?

Its all ARP internally.

I see now that my heads have the dual bolt pattern for the exhaust ports. Are there any headers out there that use the wider bolt spacing?

Yes you will definitely need a 1” gt40 spacer for tall valve covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the TFS R and I can’t run the high valve covers without using 2 spacers. With the box R it wouldn’t be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm that’s weird. I’m running the TFS R but only use a 3/8 spacer with tall vc’s.

Interesting, I ran the tfs-r with no spacer. I thought I still had the tall covers at that point, but maybe I'd changed to the fox body covers already by then.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I need to get JC Customs to start making aluminum intake spacers for us. With and without EGR hole, 1/2” thick, 3/4” thick & 1” thick.

Well I just measured both sets and they are nearly identical on each side. The ones that don’t fit rise in the middle. Not sure what the conflict was. It’s been years since I tried it. .. any way not sure what tall is but they are 3.75” inboard and 4.25” outboard hight.

I had a few aluminum gt40 spacers made for people waaaaaay back in the stone age.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I ran a 1inch no hole alum spacer on mine to clear the tall V/Cs. Came from Cutting edge design back many yrs ago. Also had a nice egr block off he made.

Jeff's right, I am going to the TFS-R intake (not box). Maybe I'll just stick with my Fox-style VC's and save any hassles.

Got the heads of the engine yesterday and the news isn't good :( . I'll post some pics up later today with some more info.

So what was the results? Your other thread mentioned machine work needing to be done.

I've been pretty busy and posting the pics took a back seat this week. It's not good, which is in line with my luck. :) So you know the "3rd engine in 50 miles" in my profile? Well.... I don't think #3 actually happened, I paid for #3 but the work was never done. It has the same damage I remember being there when it ate itself years ago!

Last edited:
Lets address the elephant in the room, err engine...

#8-2.jpg

#8 clinder is pretty badly damaged. From what? Who knows. About 10 years ago I had my GT40 intakes powdercaoted and they did a bad job of sealing the intake before blasting. "Sand" got into the engine and caused damage so I pulled the engine and took it to be fixed. The machine shop was supposed sleeve the bad cylinder and clean up the others. These feel pretty deep, you can stick your fingernail into them.

After seeing this nice little surprise I think I paid for a lot of work that was never done. Additioanlly, I dont believe they assembled the long block properly. How does an engine with almost no miles have this amount of damage?

Last edited:
So lets take a look at the rest of the cylinders

#1-2.jpg

#2-2.jpg

#3-2.jpg

#4-2.jpg

Last edited:
Let me take a short break for some "good pics". Here is the engine after coming out of the truck:
Engine.jpg

And here is the bottom end:
Bottom_End.jpg

Last edited:
Here are my Canfield heads. They have good sized ports, large valves. I will probably have a 3 angle valve job, new springs and seals put in to match the new custom cam (whatever that specs out to) to be safe

Notice how the wrong size gasket was used. It booked nearly .25" of each port
Intake_Port.jpg

Exhaust Port
Exhaust_Port.jpg

Chambers
Cyl_head.jpg

Could oil or gas have leaked from the plug hole? Or more likely something ran down, pooled and then down past the spark plug area?
Spark_Plug_Leak.jpg

Might have had a minor exhaust leak, LOL! :)
50003537306_658b538374_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back