Getting the Red/Black 93 Back on the Road?

When Glen ordered his Cook’s headers from Matt Hill he was told that because of the EPA crap he might stop selling them. Don’t regret not ordering them. You can always sell them down the road.

When Glen ordered his Cook’s headers from Matt Hill he was told that because of the EPA crap he might stop selling them. Don’t regret not ordering them. You can always sell them down the road.

True. But if I replace I'd like to sell what I have, just not sure theres a market. DO I assume correctly that the Kooks and the Mac can/would use the same gasket?

I believe I used the Fel-Pro 1415 for my Mac long tubes. No problems at all and been on for over 2yrs now. I did check/tighten the header bolts at 3 intervals after install and initial heat cycle though and would recommend that practice to anyone with aftermarket headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy crap, $2000!!! :blink: I don't have cats, and mine aren't brand new, but I thought I'd have been lucky to get $400 complete.

Side note, are Stage-8 bolts worth it?

You decide to sell, let me know!

Will do! Mine is a side exit, no cats. The headers are out right now getting ceramic coated, the original coating wasn't very durable. I see you're in OK, we'd have to look into the shipping from MI.

Will do! Mine is a side exit, no cats. The headers are out right now getting ceramic coated, the original coating wasn't very durable. I see you're in OK, we'd have to look into the shipping from MI.

I don't mind a road trip however that might be a little far :) I'm in NO hurry so if you decide to sell just hit me up.

Holy crap, $2000!!! :blink: I don't have cats, and mine aren't brand new, but I thought I'd have been lucky to get $400 complete.

Side note, are Stage-8 bolts worth it?

It did sell for $2000 but it was a super complete perfect setup. Dave did amazing work. True craftsman. But it had a couple flaws. It required some small trimming of the frame in one spot and I didn't want to do that to a completely bone stock 75k mile perfect truck. Second it was not stainless even though the headers were coated and it did have cats (very expensive for high flow 3 inch).

Since I don't need or plan on cats I went with the kooks and I'm now ordering everything in 3 inch stainless. I'm into it about $1700 now in parts and may need another $300 in parts and $500 in TIG welding. I'm going to post what I have in about 2 weeks. But a complete long tube stainless 3 inch exhaust is not cheap.

Btw Biden has outlawed a lot of exhaust parts and is putting hard pressure on anyone making full kits.
I had to do a signed waiver for headers. Moving forward everything will be custom and illegal.

It did sell for $2000 but it was a super complete perfect setup. Dave did amazing work. True craftsman. But it had a couple flaws. It required some small trimming of the frame in one spot and I didn't want to do that to a completely bone stock 75k mile perfect truck. Second it was not stainless even though the headers were coated and it did have cats (very expensive for high flow 3 inch).

Since I don't need or plan on cats I went with the kooks and I'm now ordering everything in 3 inch stainless. I'm into it about $1700 now in parts and may need another $300 in parts and $500 in TIG welding. I'm going to post what I have in about 2 weeks. But a complete long tube stainless 3 inch exhaust is not cheap.

Btw Biden has outlawed a lot of exhaust parts and is putting hard pressure on anyone making full kits.
I had to do a signed waiver for headers. Moving forward everything will be custom and illegal.

Mine isn't stainless either, but my headers will be freshly ceramic coated. No cats, but I think most people don't want them anyway. Dave notched the frame on my 27k mile 93, so..... Dave was a great guy and had good products. The main thing I really don't like about the MACs is the flange, a solid flange like the Kooks is much better.

Can you give more info on the bill regarding aftermarket exhaust systems? This sounds like a bad thing and I'd like to learn more about it. Is it Federal, or state level?

ALso, your $1700 in materials for your exhaust, is that just for the header-back tubing, or does that include the Kooks? I'm thinking of Kooks and custom side exist 3", sounds like youll have about $2500 into yours.

Mine isn't stainless either, but my headers will be freshly ceramic coated. No cats, but I think most people don't want them anyway. Dave notched the frame on my 27k mile 93, so..... Dave was a great guy and had good products. The main thing I really don't like about the MACs is the flange, a solid flange like the Kooks is much better.

Can you give more info on the bill regarding aftermarket exhaust systems? This sounds like a bad thing and I'd like to learn more about it. Is it Federal, or state level?

ALso, your $1700 in materials for your exhaust, is that just for the header-back tubing, or does that include the Kooks? I'm thinking of Kooks and custom side exist 3", sounds like youll have about $2500 into yours.

Look into the " RPM act"... Beijing Biden has the EPA cracking down on anything and everything that isn't electric powered..

Mat hill said the epa is cracking down on any aftermarket exhaust. He sent me a form I had to sign basicly saying I would only use them on a off road vehicle or show car.

The headers were a little less than $1300. The rest I got off Amazon. Header collectors around $85. DIY 3 inch stainless 16 piece kit $330. I still need to order magnaflo mufflers from summit. Those are $125 or so each. Then a batch of clamps and hangers and I can take it all off and take it to a welding shop down the road.

You can thank all the diesel boys rollin' coal for that piece of legislation. I mean cmon, if you do something that visually obvious, you think the EPA is going to let it slide?

BTW, I'm no Biden fan, but the EPA has been working at this for a loooong time.

It kinda sucks that there can't be a performance industry in the US when there's so much worse conditions in India and China.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link, message sent!

Does Matt Hill still have the Kooks in stock? I've emailed him a few times in the past about the Kooks and Holley but he's never replied.

I'm talking to a new shop and a fellow (former) Lightning owner owns it (and he used to be part of the MiLOC). They are not so tied to the Holley EFI. Let's pretend this forum wasn't here any longer (let's hope that never happens!), what would make me want to go with the PiMPXS vs the Terminator X? It still seems like the Holley has more support, but I'm trying to be more open-minded.

If you don't care about the wiring and the ease of install, just get the one you want. I don't think anyone here feels any particular need to sell you on one over the other. None of us are vendors.

I appreciate that the guys from Stinger have been so invested in us here. Holley has some great Ford guys in their support staff, too.

You really can't go wrong with either setup.

Back