Getting the Red/Black 93 Back on the Road?

For me it was all about how the PiMPxshift Slid right into the factory computer location and use the factory wiring. All one unit for the engine & transmission.

With the holley you need to separate transmission controller and you need to mount both of them somewhere in the truck (where are you going to mount them?). Then you need to run all new wiring for the engine and the transmission.

Some guys want all that new wiring, some guys want to reuse their wiring. It’s really up to you.

Hopefully dont jinx myself, but I have a date to drop of my truck at a shop on July 30th!. The owner is a guy who used to have a Gen2 and was part of the MiLOC. I've been doing small things like ordering gaskets, starter, belt, etc, and putting things back in place (wiring, alt, A/C, etc). I'll decide between the PimpXS and the Holley Terminator X after they get the truck and do a thorough inspection and we make a game plan. My Dave P headers should be back from ceramic coating in a week or 2, so might bolt that back on and tune N/A (on 9.5:1 :bm:)for now just to get it running, and then over the winter add the Kooks, custom exhaust, bolt on Jamie V's old Vortech kit and get it re-tuned, plus some suspension work.

I know there is a bit of overlap in work, but I'm anxious to just be able to drive it and they are busy so they can't keep it all summer.

9.5:1 is higher than stock! I drove mine around perfectly happy for almost a year before putting the turbo back on it, and it's 8:1. Yay for that brief period of 87 octane unleaded! :D

Initial inspections are complete, truck is sound structurally and everything looks good underneath, etc, well at least on the surface. Obviously, somethings may show their heads once she's running & driving. Now to work on a plan with them and get things rolling

If you dropped your truck off at a performance shop would you expect to have a face to face with the owner, or Shop Manager, to go over the truck/project/expectations/parts list before starting work?

If you dropped your truck off at a performance shop would you expect to have a face to face with the owner, or Shop Manager, to go over the truck/project/expectations/parts list before starting work?

Me personally I would have that meeting BEFORE I dropped it off!

OK, it's not me then.

The only communication is by email, even after asking more than once to come in or talk by phone. I talked to the Service writer/parts guy and explained to him what's up, he said he'd talk to the owner. A few hours later I received a couple of sentences in an email. I've sent a few longer emails trying to explain my wants, needs, questions and asked for his advice and suggestions. I can't imagine how I could've pissed this guy off already since we've never spoken besides email? But there's a chance I'm reading too much into it since tone is hard to gather from an email? Still weird they don't want to interact with a customer directly.

He got (what I interpreted as) a little snippy last weekend when they had the truck for a week but didn't have a plan for what to do. I told them going in I wanted to get the truck running, install aftermarket EFI, tune and we'd go from there on things like blower install, Kooks/exhaust, etc. I hadn't nailed down an itemized list of what to do until last Sunday, by email. No reply until I called yesterday. The shop is reputable and has been open for several years, they have a nice facility. The pics & videos of their work seem very nice. I'm honestly getting a bit of a weird vibe. :headscratch: But hey, it's my Lightning so I shouldn't expect anything to go too smoothly.

I need to ride it out a bit, but Im debating about pulling the truck. I hate to waste another $250 tow truck ride though.

OK, it's not me then.

The only communication is by email, even after asking more than once to come in or talk by phone. I talked to the Service writer/parts guy and explained to him what's up, he said he'd talk to the owner. A few hours later I received a couple of sentences in an email. I've sent a few longer emails trying to explain my wants, needs, questions and asked for his advice and suggestions. I can't imagine how I could've pissed this guy off already since we've never spoken besides email? But there's a chance I'm reading too much into it since tone is hard to gather from an email? Still weird they don't want to interact with a customer directly.

He got (what I interpreted as) a little snippy last weekend when they had the truck for a week but didn't have a plan for what to do. I told them going in I wanted to get the truck running, install aftermarket EFI, tune and we'd go from there on things like blower install, Kooks/exhaust, etc. I hadn't nailed down an itemized list of what to do until last Sunday, by email. No reply until I called yesterday. The shop is reputable and has been open for several years, they have a nice facility. The pics & videos of their work seem very nice. I'm honestly getting a bit of a weird vibe. :headscratch: But hey, it's my Lightning so I shouldn't expect anything to go too smoothly.

I need to ride it out a bit, but Im debating about pulling the truck. I hate to waste another $250 tow truck ride though.

Go down there ASAP with a nice concise list of what you want. DON'T BE VAGUE! you need to be clear.

If they won't speak to you in person haul it home, Chuck I don't care how cool their shop is, if they can't be bothered to talk to you LEAVE NOW. I'd prefer a good ole boy in a shed who shares my passion and listens to me vs some fancy shop that is too good to talk to me.

Go down there ASAP with a nice concise list of what you want. DON'T BE VAGUE! you need to be clear.

If they won't speak to you in person haul it home, Chuck I don't care how cool their shop is, if they can't be bothered to talk to you LEAVE NOW. I'd prefer a good ole boy in a shed who shares my passion and listens to me vs some fancy shop that is too good to talk to me.

yeah, i second what raymond said.

I'm not sure what exactly happened since I posted this, coincidence I'm sure, I got a friendly email and they said I could come up and met with them this afternoon. So fingers crossed.

It's all good in the hood. We sat down and chatted for 30 minutes or so. Plan is laid out, deposit left and they plan to start work sometime next week.

We're going to get it running the way it was first so it can be checked for any mechanical or electrical issues, plus replumb the fuel system correctly. Then a list of one-offs and fixes/upgrades needing to be done. From there next step will be the efi swap, but that and installing the Vortech, which I might do myself, might wait until this winter depending on how long things take. Keep those fingers crossed!

From my archives
51a78da6b240738a2cfb988604bdc545.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Back