95 F150 turbo build

MaverickDan

Hope this is ok, not a Lightning, but close I guess. Copying and paste from another forum and will keep updated here.

5-30-16 The truck is a 95 f150 standard cab short bed, originally 5.0, 4r70w with a 3.08 8.8 rear. Drove it stock for about 2 years without doing any mods, which is weird for me. First mod was an altitude adjustment, always hated the rake it had, so I replaced the I-beams with djm dream beams and a axle flip in the rear for a 3 front/5 rear drop. Drove it like that for another year and was getting tired of the gutless 5.0. Found a 97 f250 in the junk yard with a roller 5.8, and about 2 hrs later I had a motor. Did a "budget rebuild" on the engine, re-ring, new bearings, oil pump, arp oil pump drive as I have broken 2 stock ones in 5.0's in my maverick. Started getting speed parts, edelbrock performer truck manifold, comp cams xe264hr-14, headman long tubes. Decided I didn't want to run the e7 heads, so I pulled a set of junk yard gt40p's, lapped the valves, new valve springs and drilled out the head bolt holes. Drove the truck for about 6 months and decided my maverick is going to be sitting for about a year while it's getting redone might as well pull the trick flows and put them on my truck. I signed the truck up for Drag Week, and didn't want to the slowest guy there lol. Which leads me to build a turbo set-up, I'm hoping to run 12.0's and keep it alive, and reliable. I wired a megasquirt BOB to plug the msII into the factory harness, and installed a us shift quick 4 tcu. I've got the hot side nearly done at this point. Please be kind my skills are mediocre at best.

Last edited:
7-04-16 Been slacking the past few weeks due to regearing a buddy's jeep and going on a wheeling trip in my heap . Finished up the hot side, and made the oil feed and return. Pulled the engine today to swap the oil pan. Went to install the oil filter relocation, but it wont fit so I ordered another one that has 90° line exits instead of coming straight out the end.

Last edited:
7-17-16 Got it running today, no intercooler for right now, feels pretty decent for only 4 psi. Gonna start on intercooler install next week, then start turning up the boost.

Last edited:
8-19-16 Went to the track, best pass was 13.64@100. Was hoping for a 13.4 e.t., but I did make my mph goal.

8-26-16 Took it back to the track. Is now intercooled, 9psi, locked timing at 15* with spout out. Best pass of the night was 12.46@109. Has more in it, need to pull some fuel out and work on the launch.

Last edited:
9-04-16 Got the new headlights in, hood on, and the tach installed. Tomorrow I'm going to get the bumper on and swap out my axle shafts to ones I put extended studs in. Then all I have left is to clean up some wiring, get the drive shaft balanced (the harmonic balancer thing on it came apart the other day), and change the oil and I'm ready for drag week!

9-17-16 I got the truck into the 11's! 11.98@113 and 11.92@113 on the last day of drag week, and made it home under its own power have 2000+ miles of driving to, during, and from drag week and got 17.5 mpg so I'm pretty happy with it! My transmission was my biggest issue all week, first it over heated driving through the mountains of West Virginia to drag week. I figured it'd be ok for the rest of the week with the stock cooler, I was wrong, it over heated on the way to us 131 in rush hour traffic. The next morning I picked up a trans cooler at an auto zone and installed it in the pits, it seems to have fixed the over heating issue. I've also found out when my tach reads 5000 the engine is actually spinning 6000(yes it's set on 8cyl). Next issue is I hit the rev limiter on the top end(set at 6k), I believe the converter is slipping(could be the trans i guess), converter slip calculator says 19.73% slip. My guess is the napa replacement converter cant handle the power. Plan for winter is to rebuild my spare trans and install a good converter. I've also gotten bit by the power bug, I want to install a roll bar and a bigger turbo and go 10.90's next year. Wasn't planning on building a race truck but you know how things go lol.

Last edited:
This is where I'm at now: Upgrade time! Trying out the vs racing 77/83. Pulled of the s366, and started modifying the down pipe for the 77/83.

Last edited:
Nice work and results, Dan. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about the new turbo.

Awesome build from a fellow non lightning guy. Turbo set up turned good. How much psi did it make on the 11 second passes?

Pretty cool. I think you have some more even on 9psi if you can control the fuel etc. it also takes time to work out the bugs and a lot of testing. It took me all season to finally grab a 10 slip on the same boost.
Adam I see a lot of the Sloppy mechanics guys using that turbo and the others that VS racing sells and they seem to be pretty decent units and they make power. Not as disposable of turbos as everyone first thought.

Pretty cool. I think you have some more even on 9psi if you can control the fuel etc. it also takes time to work out the bugs and a lot of testing. It took me all season to finally grab a 10 slip on the same boost. Then I ripped it all out and I haven't driven it since.
Fixed

Back