Things are starting to come together

Mine are all 4’ T8 bulbs. They are 32w, 5000k, 2800 lumens.

Lumens per sq/ft is how you want to figure your lightning requirements.

My garage is 960 sq/ft with a total of 100,800 lumens (105 lumens sq/ft)

And 6500 kelvin is going to have a blue tint to them

Same ends mine have. Have read about the sagging problem. Keeping the ballasts makes for an easy swap,but I'd really like to get rid of them. Tired of the noise.

Definitely just take the ballast out. Or bypass it. White wire to one end of the fixture black to the other. Easy as can be.

Read that garage journal link I posted. With these LEDs I cannot imagine a fluorescent coming close to how “clean” the light is. They are 2520 lumens per bulb. Oh and 18W per bulb

Mine are all 4’ T8 bulbs. They are 32w, 5000k, 2800 lumens.

Lumens per sq/ft is how you want to figure your lightning requirements.

My garage is 960 sq/ft with a total of 100,800 lumens (105 lumens sq/ft)

And 6500 kelvin is going to have a blue tint to them

These come out to be about 55 lumens/sf. Seems plenty bright enough for the house garage.

But in my new garage i currently have 10- 4 ft. 3600 lumens led lights. Comes out a little over 40/sf. So I am going to add a bunch in there. Try to get it much closer to 100/sf. Thinking 3 more 8 ft lights down the middle.

I did get 6 of these for over my 20ft workbench.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-3-in-White-LED-Swivel-Round-New-Construction-Remodel-Recessed-Lighting-Kit-LED-Bulbs-Included-6-Pack-91272/304982512

I went with 5 big round fluorescent in my shop (30’x30’)and 9ea 4ft led’s(5000 lumens and 5k color) under the carport of the shop(20x30). The light output is nowhere near the same. Those LED’s light up the carport where you can tell the difference during sunny days. The shop comparatively is not nearly as bright. I will be adding LED’s or changing to all LED’s in the near future. No heat, no buzz, long life and very low power consumption!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put 10 4ft led's in the new garage but I did a retrofit on the 8ft lights in the old garage since those had died. You can see a huge difference.
612ca341a204b8a1f117d41e420adadf.jpg

Look at the difference, I’ll take the fluorescent every day of the week. Look at all the shadows on the ceiling. LED’s are super bright in a strait line and then it fades off real quick once your out of their throw. You can’t compare the output of box store fluorescent tubes to that of LED, the box stores carry all low lumen fluorescent tubes.

Jamie, same with LED that’s why I went with the bulbs GJ recommended.

Anyway just like most stuff personal preference. My ceiling is low, the LEDs that I got have a 120 deg beam and are 5’ apart. No heat which is a biggie for me.

I hate to be the physics nerd here but all light travels in a straight line...

Any light without a diffuser will be... Well... Non diffuse. That's a matter of the setup, not the source.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Raymond, am I reading it correctly? 130-149 lumens per watt? At 18w that is 2340-2682 lumens?

Jeff, your correct light travels in a strait line . But by the shear design of an LED being on a strip the bulb can’t shine in a 360° direction like a fluorescent bulb. LED bulbs shine their light in a cone depending on the angle of the bulb. That leaves areas that are not covered in light if you put your bulbs too far apart.

I purposely painted my ceiling and walls semi gloss white so that way every bit of light that comes off of my fluorescent bulbs in a 360° angle reflects.

The cheap home depot lights i got have a good diffuser. Two rows of 5, they are are 35 watt 3600 lumen each . they will be permantly mounted where the ceiling is about 14 ft high. Then in the 16 ft peak I'm going to add 3- 8 ft lights with 2- 75 watt leds each.

At those heights I like that the led lights will last 18 years or more. I changed balast and bulbs for 2 years at work every day all day. Just tired of those things.
b7a220db5bf1076c7973e834e471f4ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So the phone really struggles with the brightness and low 9' ceiling.

Anyway here they are, ignore the wire on the far one, I just have not run all the raceway yet.

Lights.jpg

Garage mini remodel is almost complete.

Can’t wait for the minisplit to get here cause it’s been hot.

Anyway, funny the things you find buried in boxes :)

197965324c96d3498a279d3c9e9ff3f3.jpg

The garage is mostly done, wasn’t able to do the floor so that will have to be some other time sadly. I did replace the pan gasket, bast@rd still leaks, but just drips now and not a stream. Put the Bogarts on and was going to give it a proper bath and of course a thunderstorm rolled in so I just rinsed it off.

It definitely needs to sit lower with these wheels I think.

https://youtu.be/FjW6aVBqtD0

It’s happy idling away on ID1700s on pump gas, has a little lean spot when you goose it, but I’ll tune that out when it’s road worthy.

https://youtu.be/mhOcqKa0jnk

Back