The grand adventure from the Great Northwest #6

Skritch

There will be one and planning will be to arrive early afternoon on the 26th.

Route is open at this point. Favorite route is via I-80 which is about 22 miles longer than the shortest route via I-90. There are a couple of guys from Montana that are entertaining the idea of headin' east.

Normal stops for a leisurely 4.5 day trip is Boise, ID the first night, Evanston,WY the second night, Ogallala, NE the third night, Syracuse, NE the fourth night, and finish up the trip the fifth day.

Scott

Sounds like we might be joining this convoy.

This be the "slow" convoy. You can do the trip leavin' on Tuesday morn early and arrive there Thursday but it ain't no fun. Too much drivin' and not enough stoppin' an' goofin' off.

Plus, Ogallala, NE has a fabulous steak house across the street from the Comfort Inn or right next door to the Best Western, Syracuse, NE has a GREAT little hole in the wall greasy spoon that seems to have a chicken dinner special on Wednesday nights. Carson can tell ya 'bout both places. Jon, Wild Bill, & Francis, can tell ya about the Golden Spur.

Between Ogallala and Syracuse is the SAC air musuem which is IMHO second only to the Air Force museum in Ohio.

Scott

Last edited:
I wasn't planning on taking a razor or toenail clippers:laughing6::lotg:, but that doesn't mean we cant meet up at the steakhouse:eek:ldtu:

I wasn't planning on taking a razor or toenail clippers:laughing6::lotg:, but that doesn't mean we cant meet up at the steakhouse:eek:ldtu:

Golden Spur in Ogallala around 6ish Tuesday eve for steak dinner then ? They even have Killian Red ! Ah, but from Ogallala you could finish up the drive on Wednesday to KC ! That'd make ya a day early.....

Scott

I am sure feeling the pressure knowing you guys are moving through. A/C delete could prove to be brutal. . .

I am sure feeling the pressure knowing you guys are moving through. A/C delete could prove to be brutal. . .

Yeah, w/o AC it would not be a lota fun maybe. Even the 2-80 old style air conditioning system may not prove adequate.

2-80 you ask ? 2 windows down, 80 MPH. :D

Was wondering' if you and HIVOLTJ would wanna wander down to I-80 to meet up. Was lookin' at the maps and you could slide on down I-15 to connect at I-84 on Monday to meet up. We'd be rumblin' through Idaho and Utah to end up on the western edge of Wyoming that day. HIVOLTJ could meet around Cheyenne coming down I-25 or you both could meet up in Billings and head south to Cheyenne. We'd be rollin' through Wyoming and into Nebraska on Tuesday.

At this early date it appears there will be a gaggle of Gen 1's and a couple of Gen 2's.

Scott

2-80 + ear muffs!
Well time will definately tell. I have a new setup to sort out. As previously stated, a lot can happen in 7 months! I'd for sure meet Josh (HIVOLTJ) in Billings to start the quest.

The Leonhardts will be there! 'Stang sold this weekend, Lightning is staying put for sure. That sounds good Scott! I know the way to Cheyenne very well, I used to live there.

The Leonhardts will be there! 'Stang sold this weekend, Lightning is staying put for sure. That sounds good Scott! I know the way to Cheyenne very well, I used to live there.

Long time away still but if the weather cooperates it'll be a fun trip ! As a "general" time frame we should be passin' through Cheyenne between 2 & 3 PM on the Tuesday before L Fest weekend. Could meet you guys on an off/on ramp just east of Cheyenne and continue on to Ogallala, NE. Great steak house there !

Scott

That Lincoln monument is just outside of Laramie isn't it? I lived in Laramie for about a year also, one of my brothers currently lives there, going to school at the University. There is a Winger's there that is amazing, just sayin!

That Lincoln monument is just outside of Laramie isn't it? I lived in Laramie for about a year also, one of my brothers currently lives there, going to school at the University. There is a Winger's there that is amazing, just sayin!

Yep, the Lincoln monument is east of Laramie at the highpoint of I-80 at a substantial rest area. It's a sharp climb out of Laramie to the Lincoln monument then it's all downhill to Cheyenne.

What's a "Wingers" ?

Scott

Yeah, I know there's one in Spokane, also. I saw it when we went to pick up my truck from Bernie. I haven't eaten at any others, but the one in Laramie is awesome, I used to eat there at least once a week when I lived there, and now every time I go down to visit my brother. They have the best wing/rib/steak sauce, they put it on everything. It's sweet and a little spicy

Tentative plan....

Boise, Idaho the first day, August 22nd at the Best Western Vista Inn at the airport.

August 23rd off to Rock Springs, WY probably at the Best Western Outlaw Inn.

On to Ogalalla, NE for the Golden Spur steakhouse and saloon and either the Best Western or Comfort Inn there.

Last night traveling stopping at St. Joseph, MO for the night. Plan to stop in Syracuse, NE for a midafternoon meal at our favorite little greasy spoon place there ! ETA for that 3 to 4 PM. 2 hours from there to St. Joe. Plenty of motels, Drury Inn would be a favorite but price dictates that's probably a no no. Just around 60 miles to arrive KC and will have ample time to clean up the trucks for the final cruise in.

Those who want to travel this route and time frame please post up. Anticipating some possibly joining along the way and those that plan to please let us know where you'll be joining so we can coordinate meeting spots and times.

Scott

First night's stop in Boise, Idaho. Motel is Best Western Vista Inn at the airport. There's two right across the street from each other so make SURE if you book to get the right one.

Internet rate is $62.10 for 2 queens or $67.50 for one king plus taxes. Real good restaurant (Copper Kitchen) next to the motel and a Chevron station just across the street.

Best Western Vista Inn at the Airport, Boise Idaho

Around 519 miles from the greater Seattle area to the motel. Have a time change just west of Ontario, Oregon so the estimated travel time of 8 hours and 48 minutes from Google is "plus" one hour.

Leaving around 9 AM Sunday August 22nd from Startup. If others are traveling the "leisurely" route can meet on I-90 at North Bend or other location. Just let us know !

As a note we'll be gassing up the trucks each evening before retiring so the trucks are ready to go in the morning.

Scott

2nd night's stay in Green River, Wyoming. Rock Springs just thinks their motels are golden ! Not for just a bed and shower for the night.

Takin' a chance with The Oak Tree Inn. Smaller chain but reviews and pics of property look good. Closer to an economy style motel. Get a voucher for $7 for the Penny's Diner on premises for a meal. Your choice dinner or breakfast.

Rate for "old farts" is a reasonable $68.08 for a king, slightly less for a queen room. For younger people a rate of $75.20 for a king, $67.20 for a queen. When reserving online select the special rate to get the "younger people rate.

Welcome to Oak Tree Inn

Location to choose is Green River, Wyoming. This is for the 23rd of August for the night. No time change on this day or the next day either. Mileage is a leisurely 461 miles and around 7 hours 9 minutes.

Scott

Watch for Gary Soulages and myself along the way. He with large motor home pulling a white 24 ft tag. Me with blue Tundra pulling a white 24 tag. Well be heading down 80 to represent the left coast. Dale you better be coming!

Steve (I'm Scott) let me know of your route planning. We could meet you along the way since I don't think anyone else is taking our "slow" route. Talked with Paul (Nazgul) this past weekend and he and Margaret are toying with joining your caravan.

When do you plan to leave Cali ?

Scott

Back