Second build up from the short block

Oh yeah, it's been a blast! Hell it's fun just going out in the garage and starting it lol.

Mocking up the Supercharger on my old engine I have two idle/tension pulleys one up top that swings and one slider mid way down.

The slider pulley was very sloppy, bad bearing.
Bearing is a 6203z I was going to replace it with a Timken unless someone knows of a better or upgraded bearing.
236b0f7616b76aeb3c55515579136127.jpg

Another question I have is how to measure for the belt. The one that I have is tight without engaging the tensioners. Very hard to get on. The slide tensioner can’t even go in place. I assume that when all tension is released the belt should be easy to remove/install.

School me on how to measure for proper belt length please.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have the vortech tensioner but, I just did it without the tensioner to get me close. I would usually get one or 2 cheapy belts in that size to get it narrowed down. Then find the size and get the good belt.

+1 on what Tommy said... use a piece of string... keep your receipt and buy a few around the length you measured and find the one that fits best.... Then buy a good Gator belt....

I have been using the rpm belt. Best belt I have used by far. It does not stretch like the "green" belt does. They are more limited to the sizes thou.

Mocking up the Supercharger on my old engine I have two idle/tension pulleys one up top that swings and one slider mid way down.

The slider pulley was very sloppy, bad bearing.
Bearing is a 6203z I was going to replace it with a Timken unless someone knows of a better or upgraded bearing.
236b0f7616b76aeb3c55515579136127.jpg

Another question I have is how to measure for the belt. The one that I have is tight without engaging the tensioners. Very hard to get on. The slide tensioner can’t even go in place. I assume that when all tension is released the belt should be easy to remove/install.

School me on how to measure for proper belt length please.

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's a PITA to get the absolute perfect sized belt sometimes. Basically I would have my slide tensioner all the way up but loosened up... This is key. I would remove my blower mounted tensioner or your swing tensioner. Then find the absolute shortest belt that you can barely get on with moderate cussing. Then I would install my blower mount tensioner. I used a 4' pipe to give me enough leverage to fix it in place... Now the key is that loosened slide tensioner. With the belt being so tight once you bolt that back down snug you will see it "rotate" back into place snugging up the belt that much more. Tension is key on these set ups.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

That's how I got big boy boost. That is a Novi 2000 all the way turned up on a stock 351w bottom end with small heads and cam. lol
e515ad361747ada2d0e5033735dbfdb8.jpg

Thanks Derek that’s the information I was looking for.

I’m thinking about fabricating a brace for the Supercharger mount. I can see the flex in it already.
I’m sure it’s been done before. Any pics or recommendations on this?

I built a small mount from the ac compressor but it didn't do much. I then built this with a turnbuckle to my intake.... It worked great but I didn't ever take to track because I went turbo. It ain't overly pretty but it's what I had to work with.
a81138603ed7e34a6a81937ad154e4f9.jpg
4d9a34c0be31c62500f831ee0fb3252c.jpg

The bracket is going to flex no matter what. A turnbuckle helps a ton, but can be unsightly. The best solution would to buy a Griptec pulley for track use and fab up an automatic tensioner. That would help more than anything. The manual tensioners put too much load on the bracket imo. I threw a few belts up until I built that contraption. That ebay seller that makes supercharger brackets said they would make a bracket in any thickness we wanted. I was going to get a 3/4" bracket but didn't want to fight it anymore. A thick bracket, auto tensioner, turnbuckle, and grip tec pulley would be the absolute ideal set up for an 8 rib blower.

Thanks Tommy. I’ll definitely try it. What blower and bracket are you using?

I have an si trim using a vortech setup. I had a 1/2 billet aluminum bracket made that bolts the head unit to the main bracket. Its much thicker then the factory steel bracket and much better. It can still flex, but not nearly as much.

I have an si trim using a vortech setup. I had a 1/2 billet aluminum bracket made that bolts the head unit to the main bracket. Its much thicker then the factory steel bracket and much better. It can still flex, but not nearly as much.

Do you have any pictures of it?

I have the stock style bracket also but in .500".... it takes a lot to get it to flex... you can also make a brace on the back to bolt it down to atop it from flexing foward as to tighten down the belt....

Back