Rear end out

Ok. Axle bearings and seals I used: NAPA part numbers for a Lightning diff:
Bearings- R1559TV
Oil Seal- 16404
Something else to think about- the exciter ring *should NOT* be heated for removal or installation. Either pressed on or the carrier frozen to shrink it. Heating the ring may kill the magnetic field. We heated it and got away with it, but your results may vary.

Ok. Axle bearings and seals I used: NAPA part numbers for a Lightning diff:
Bearings- R1559TV
Oil Seal- 16404
Something else to think about- the exciter ring *should NOT* be heated for removal or installation. Either pressed on or the carrier frozen to shrink it. Heating the ring may kill the magnetic field. We heated it and got away with it, but your results may vary.
I just called Broncos graveyard and asked them about the kit they offer. It includes timkin bearings and the gear comes with a 2 year warranty. Are the bearings from Napa you listed different from a f150 rear? I still haven't found out if they are different.

I just called Broncos graveyard and asked them about the kit they offer. It includes timkin bearings and the gear comes with a 2 year warranty. Are the bearings from Napa you listed different from a f150 rear? I still haven't found out if they are different.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between L axle tubes and std truck tubes, thus the bold type.
If I were to bet, I'd bet the tubes are the same. I'd call NAPA and ask for bearing #'s for a regular truck. If same, well then we have an answer.

From all the research that I have done, all 8.8 truck rears use the same bearing. 2.533 od. You may see some listed that are bigger, but those are for the 9.75 rearends. Also they have a repair bearing that is same size just has seal incorporated into it.

Got the parts in and someone to help. He said to check and make sure the tone ring will go on. The factory one looks recessed and the new one doesn't. Or are we deceived?uploadfromtaptalk1439852374617.jpg

Yea that's what I'm making sure we can do. The old one just bolts up to the new one, right? The old gear looks like the ring is recessed on ituploadfromtaptalk1439853741507.jpguploadfromtaptalk1439853774209.jpg

I got it all together and under the truck. Now I'm just waiting for some help bleeding the brakes. The Napa axle bearings listed are correct for both lightning and f150 rears. Thanks for all the help.

I got it all together and under the truck. Now I'm just waiting for some help bleeding the brakes. The Napa axle bearings listed are correct for both lightning and f150 rears. Thanks for all the help.

Excellent. Get a couple of break in miles on her then let us know how you like that True Trac. :)

Drove it around a little last night to make sure everything is safe for daily use again and so far so good. I haven't had the opportunity to really get on it because of the lawn equipment I hauled around all day and the rain after that but I did break the tires loose a couple times in situations where I would spin easily. (Wet curb and rock driveway) It's pretty cool spinning both tires. Never drove a vehicle that could do that. I can see myself burning through these bfg's in no time. ✌😃 thanks again everyone for the information/help.

Just touching base with anyone who followed this thread I am thrilled with the results. Didn't notice a difference in mpg since all my driving is in the city and around town. I did notice the difference in pickup since the rpms are higher. It seems as though it's right where it needs to be to get this tank moving. Before it would downshift going up a bridge but now it has no trouble. I also put on a set of Mac long tubes and spintech mufflers. Wow what a difference that made. Paired with smog delete and efans I'm pleased with the results. Next will be a valve body and torque converter. I'd like to get some gen 2 wheels and my tfs heads back so I can do some engine modification but that will come with time. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Back