Rear end out

Recently I noticed some noise coming from my truck and it seemed noticeable when swerving in one direction and not the other. So I wasted my time changing the front bearings. Didn't cure the problem. I checked everything in the back and noticed my tire had been rubbing against the fender. The drivers side axle had some play in it. I could shake the truck and hear it clunk. I pulled the rear out from under the truck to swap in another one. I would like to rebuild my factory one and I see Broncograveyard has a rebuild kit. My truck has 355s in it and I would like to go with the 410 and tru track kit. Other than fluids what else would I need to purchase. Is there anything I should know as far as swapping everything. Should I replace the vss and axles too? Any help is appreciated.

It depends how far you want to go. I would cut the ends off and weld on 9" ends Moser axles and pick up a set of 4.10 gears and a Eaton trac lock. But that's just my opinion I do not like the C-clips! and by the time you rebuild the Ford unit you could just add a few more $$ and pick up an Eaton.

Nah that's where going overboard would be for me. I'm not building something to withstand a ridiculous amount of power. Just something better than what I have. I also can't budget 2k for a rear end either.

Nah that's where going overboard would be for me. I'm not building something to withstand a ridiculous amount of power. Just something better than what I have. I also can't budget 2k for a rear end either.

If you're just looking to fix what you have you can get a set of 4.10 gears for around $130-140 rebuild the stock carrier with carbon fiber clutches $109 with new bearings

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-4700-c/overview/

Oh crap that's an open diff isn't it? at least that's what it looks like with out my glasses on.....they are in the bedroom and I cant get off the couch to get them

Yea don't make fun of me haha I'm trying to upgrade to two tires that spin when I'm sitting still. From what I've read on this site everyone likes the true Trac so I'm convinced the 725 for the kit would be worth it.

Yeah if you could swing it I would go with the True Trac even if you don't do the gears now you could always do those later.

I plan to do it now. It's a pain to get under there without a lift. Ima do it once kind of guy. Which is the reason I'm debating putting the spare axle under it. I don't want to have to yank it out a week later.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to cut the tubes in order to cram a bigger tire under there but that's not in my budget. So I'll stick to a plain ol swap of gears and add a true Trac. It'll be fun I'm sure. Heck I swore if the rear ever went I would swap to disc but that's not even happening.

If it had a trac loc already id say just rebuild it with the FMS carbon clutch kit. Otherwise the price difference won't be that big with going to a trutrac.

Truetrack for the win. Just installed one back in May with Adam's expertise. Get the Ratech 8.8 rebuild kit that has the carrier bearings, shims and solid pinion spacer (you DON't want to use a pinion crush sleeve) and also the correct axle bearings. The Ratech kit also comes with mustang axle tube sized bearings (Too small OD) so you'll need a correct set from NAPA.
My diff was one good hook from grenading. The side gears were worn to points and the carrier bearings were worn into the carrier spacers to the point that the spacers clicked into the bearing cages Good luck!

Can someone come up with a parts list? That was the reason I wanted to go with the bronco graveyard kit. Looks like it had everything. What would be really cool was if someone on here could get everything and I just pay them so I don't mess up and get the wrong stuff.

Can someone come up with a parts list? That was the reason I wanted to go with the bronco graveyard kit. Looks like it had everything. What would be really cool was if someone on here could get everything and I just pay them so I don't mess up and get the wrong stuff.

this kit? it includes everything you need, unless you want to replace the axle bearings and seals, and a diff cover/girdle

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/88-Rear-End-Rebuild-Kit/productinfo/32382G/

Yea that one specifically. I want to replace the axle bearings too. I wanna say that's the noise I was hearing. Since its out everything must go! Haha

uploadfromtaptalk1438891612300.jpg I have one of these I figured I'd throw on "while I'm at it". One of the bolts are cracked at the end and I don't want that crap on my truck haha! Anyone know of replacements? I see summit has two listed I think will work. Their brand and trickflow brand. Whats recommended? Also what about bolts for the cover?

You wanna sell that SVO cover? I was gonna buy the Summit one in plain and have my buddy who does engraving customize it for me but too many things going on right now.

Back