Rear Brakes | Haven’t Been This Irritated In A While

I've noticed that the willingness to pay someone else to do things seems to be directly proportional to my age and the estimated frustration of the repair at hand. At 49, there's a 49% chance that something is gonna hurt badly the next day. If that can be offset by the relative ease of a project (e.g. oil change), I'll still do it... but if it's going to be a PITA (e.g. replacing both fuel pumps), out comes the credit card.

It doesn't help that my only mechanically inclined friend is stationed 700 miles away.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

On any decent car with rear discs you still have an inner drum to service for the parking brake. Ford went cheap for many years with the mustang and the like that had those integral parking brake calipers. Those things are a ***** to do brakes on. You have to use that stupid tool to screw/clamp the piston piston back down to get the new pads in. As others have said in this thread. Brakes arn't hard they are just a PITA for what they are.

I can do all 4 wheels on my 04 MACH1 in under an hour. Even with the pia auto zone caliper tool for e brake.

The 03 L is about the same.

Drum brakes are easy smeazy as well the 94L was last drum vehicle I had and it was also a 1 hour or so job. And that was packing wheel bearings as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The front brakes are harder to do in my opinion because of the bearing packing required. Unless you have a TCE brake kit...

78a5a02e4a3542f763adeaed684b1f8b.jpg

38c4661c0dfa53a234f59926d8200788.jpg

I was feeling my 59 years last week on my rear brakes. My old hands are not what they used to be and the springs were a real pain. I beginning to understand when somebody says getting old sucks.

Hey young man, getting old beats the alternative! My pa had it right... “Getting old ain’t for sissies!”

Drum brakes can be changed with only 1 common tool if you follow the instructions in this caption:

(phone app link)

The NEXT one shows where to put the grease, and the following several explain how it all works.

Back