Rear Brakes | Haven’t Been This Irritated In A While

Ok Im at 37 with the same woman and she still HATES the Lightning. Thats why I keep it.
Ron, 5lb hammer. Beat the sides to push the push rods back in the cylinder and move the pads in. Probably the drum has a huge lip burr hanging up on the back of pads. Be prepared to replace everything outboard of the backing plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only way all this Ive been married xxx yrs helps Ron is if any one of you can get your wife to go to Rons and get that darn drum off his truck.

Only way all this Ive been married xxx yrs helps Ron is if any one of you can get your wife to go to Rons and get that darn drum off his truck.

Sounds like an angry old man......we're busting his balls....relax....

Got it ... still not done but I got the drum off.

As hypocritical as it sounds, I’m thinking rear disc brakes is the way to go.

Servicing these drums is friggin insane.

But then it's not original anymore.......
Got it ... still not done but I got the drum off.

As hypocritical as it sounds, I’m thinking rear disc brakes is the way to go.

Servicing these drums is friggin insane.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bumperquip

I was deep into replacing the rear axle with a disc brake axle, just so I didn't have to work on the d**m drum brakes. I mean I purchased a salvage yard disc brake axle, can't remember which one, was measuring it for modifying the spring perches, etc. Then I had an epiphany.

Take the rear brake jobs to a mechanic! Really, figure out how many miles are likely between brake jobs. How old am I. How many times do I have to really pay for a rear brake job? The cost and problems with non stock axle? So I just returned the axle [with a re-stocking fee] and paid a mechanic to do the drum brakes. I don't even want to watch it being done any longer.

Sadly, enough. The last time I changed the rear brakes my self, I had the same problem you are having and discovered a way to break them loose. I CAN'T REMEMBER what it was ! Something to do I think with PB Blaster, putting nuts on the ends of the wheel bolts and gently but persistently tapping on them. The nuts protect the bolts from damage.

Wish I could remember better. But like I said. I gave up on the whole rear brake drum job thing. Hope things work out.

Roadbird

You guys make drum brakes sound hard. I just did mine & our drum brakes are actually some of the easiest to work on. Of course I apply anti-seize on the axle flange to keep the drums easy to remove.

I wish I was close by Ron I would run over and whip them things out for you in 10 minutes.

Disk can be a pain too. I recently beat a rear rotor to death to get it off. I was doing new rotor so it was ok. But that thing was not reusable when i got it off.

I was feeling my 59 years last week on my rear brakes. My old hands are not what they used to be and the springs were a real pain. I beginning to understand when somebody says getting old sucks.

Back