Probe GT vs Prelude SH

F

FMOS Racing

Well, Brendon wanted some ACTUAL kill stories, and this is the best I've got right now...

Friday afternoon I drove over the Sierras to Carson City and then south along the back side of the mountains for some "mental reconstruction" time.

A late-model Prelude SH came farting past me and I was a little itchy so I put my latest acquisition, a '93 Probe GT (stripper model - I love it), in behind him. I knew the SH was supposed to be quick so I was prepared to be spanked. Well, the fart piped blared as he downshifted so I grabbed third and drove right around him. As I hit fourth, I waved at him and smiled as the Probiscus just scooted on by. So much for Honda's top FWD platform vs a 8-year-old, 90K mile, completely stock commuter car.
wink.gif

He did the requisite fly-by and I let the cruise take back over at ~73.

BTW, I LOVE 30 mpg.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
Lightning #74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2-lotsa mods
Lightning #582 in '00 - 13.36@101.75- Swanson chip
1993 Probe GT - daily driver
1973 Datsun 240Z - project car
Drive 'em like ya stole 'em!
trux2.jpg

Now you just need a HUGE wing on the back Jeff! The ricer Terminator!!

------------------
Rod K.
fe971776.jpg

'93 Lightning #1529
13.683 @ 97.82 Au Natural
'98 SVT Contour E1 #5782
'00 Suzuki Bandit S1200 10s??

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by: FMOS Racing
A late-model Prelude SH came farting past me and I was a little itchy so I put my latest acquisition, a '93 Probe GT (stripper model - I love it), in behind him. I knew the SH was supposed to be quick so I was prepared to be spanked. Well, the fart piped blared as he downshifted so I grabbed third and drove right around him. As I hit fourth, I waved at him and smiled as the Probiscus just scooted on by. So much for Honda's top FWD platform vs a 8-year-old, 90K mile, completely stock commuter car.</font>

I dunno about this. The late model preludes with the H22 are pretty quick, especially the Type SH. BTW, how did you know it was a Type SH. All 97+ Preludes run mid 15s, with a good driver of course. I've raced both a Probe GT and a late model Prelude in a '01 V6 Camry. The Prelude was WAAY quicker. I will admit that the Hondas aren't anything off the line. They all race from a roll so they can that "all-mighty" VTEC working for them. Good kill and all, but I bet the other guy didn't know how to drive.

Doesn't matter much if he knew how to drive or not if we raced for all of one gear on the highway. He downshifted, I grabbed third and eased on by him. So, now you do "know about it."

I know they're supposed to be quick and for all I know he had 2 tons of stereo equipment and a pack of malamutes in the car, but it wasn't even close. I'd bet 5 or 6 car-lengths in the quarter mile. And keep in mind that my car is base - only option is A/C (which I don't use anyway). Manual windows, manual locks, no rear wiper, cloth interior, no power goo-gaws, etc.

BTW, it's a 93 Probe GT. That's the 2.5l V6 car. The 10 Best, Car of the Year, Worlds Best, defeating the Prelude multiple times in head-to-head comparisons, direct cousin of the repeat SCCA SOLO-II world champion car (MX-6). I feel pretty certain it's a solid mid 15 second car and frankly, it's absolutely mean in 2nd and 3rd gear. PERFECT gear spacing makes corner-carving a real adrenline producing experience.

::chuckle:: VRIS vs VTEC, VRIS won.
biggrin.gif
I'll have to find an R/T and race him from a roll. Stay tuned for the news on that one!
wink.gif

Didn't Ford report that one of the 93 Probe models was just as fast as the 93 Lightning in the quarter mile?

My step-daughter has a 93 Probe GT that she's driven across the country. Virginia to Las Vegas to Seattle. Still runs as far as I know, she never bitches about it.

Designed in Japan.

MEXICAN REAR SPRINGS,
CL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RT4U2NV:
I dunno about this I bet the other guy didn't know how to drive.</font>

See what I mean???? Its a freakin Probe against a Prelude.... you gonna pick apart every damn kill??? smiley face, smiley face!!

I work on both types, and the probe is much faster.. the Si prelude kicks ass but is not as fast and the power isnt as linear as it is in the v-6 probe.. Take it from someone that owns a Honda Civic SI with a vortech,you gotta rev the shit out of these little things to get going..they will scream, but alot of v-6's will kill em....

Ill go along with the Probe beatin the Si.. had a friend who wasnt that bad of a driver who had a 93 GT. I had a Shelby Daytona at the time ( intercooled Turbo 14 PSI ) and he could almost keep up with that thing on a roll.. he would kill me from a stop tho! was too damn hard to get that turbo spooled and the thing to hook WITH the turbo spooled.. ahahaha.. blew both fronts off thru 2 gears
smile.gif
But there were ALOT of 5.0's that I suprised with that lil car...

anyway.. the Probe GT is a real respectable performer.

Danno

------------------
98 DA CC R/T
12.99 @ 103.72
Sigpic.jpg

What are you guys talking about?! There is no such thing as a 97+ Prelude Si. According to FMOS, he raced a Type SH which would murder the Probe from a roll and in the 1/4.

BTW, it's a 93 Probe GT. That's the 2.5l V6 car. The 10 Best, Car of the Year, Worlds Best, defeating the Prelude multiple times in head-to-head comparisons</font>

What head to head comparison are you talking about? The Prelude you claim to have raced was a Type SH which is only available on 97+ year Preludes. I'd say your Probe is probably a low 16 second car.

Jeff, think you have a factory "light weight" car!
Nice kill.

-Joe C.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JJ's Whitelight:
See what I mean???? Its a freakin Probe against a Prelude.... you gonna pick apart every damn kill??? smiley face, smiley face!!
</font>

Btw, to do smileys (emoticons) it's : ) remove the space inbetween to get
smile.gif
Also try : ( : D

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RT4U2NV:
What head to head comparison are you talking about? The Prelude you claim to have raced was a Type SH which is only available on 97+ year Preludes. I'd say your Probe is probably a low 16 second car.</font>

You can speculate all you want from wherever it is you are based on some kind of vicarious experience you've had with a Camry of all things, and then I, with oh, somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-odd passes down the drag strip, will speculate from the driver's seat.
wink.gif

**I** never said the Probe was tested against a SH. You just somehow ASSumed that's what I meant.

Joe - Yeah, I've already been told to stop calling it a "stripper" and to start calling it a Type R! Personally, I kinda like the "stripper" connotation.
wink.gif
I wonder why Ford put the "GT" label on something that's more of an "LX?"

[This message has been edited by FMOS Racing (edited 07-23-2001).]

You can speculate all you want from wherever it is you are based on some kind of vicarious experience you've had with a Camry of all things, and then I, with oh, somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-odd passes down the drag strip, will speculate from the driver's seat.</font>

So you're saying that you've had your 8 year old 90K mile Probe GT take a Prelude Type SH at the track? I doubt it.

**I** never said the Probe was tested against a SH. You just somehow ASSumed that's what I meant.</font>

A late-model Prelude SH came farting past me and I was a little itchy so I put my latest acquisition, a '93 Probe GT (stripper model - I love it), in behind him. I knew the SH was supposed to be quick so I was prepared to be spanked.</font>

Sure looks like you were talking about a Type SH.

[This message has been edited by RT4U2NV (edited 07-23-2001).]

You can't be serious. You're doing that on purpose, right?

You know, in my life I've had things that I've SAID twisted way out of context, but I've never seen anyone completely ignore what I've WRITTEN and instead insinuate their own opinions so blatantly. So, I can only assume you're just being obstinate and I'll let those provocative comments slide right by.

[This message has been edited by FMOS Racing (edited 07-23-2001).]

Yesterday I was in my Briggs and Stratton 5Hp go-cart when a honda civic pulls up next to me.
I throw a rev and him and he bites, the light turns green and we're off. I took him off the line and held him all the way through 1st, since I only had one gear he eventually overtook me but I did hold him off.

Anyway, I just wanted to give RT4U2NV something else to pick apart. Wait, my go-cart had a Ford sticker on it, that should really get him going.

------------------
Adam
01 Black Lightning
Newest - Wet Okles seat covers, Roush lowering kit (waiting for install)
JDM Big mouth filter, JDM Flip chip, JDM Breather cap, JL Ram Air, JBA Headers, Striaght Pipes, Single Blade TB, Splitfires, Bed Rug, Steel Horse Billet grills, Keypad Mod, Dynomatted cab, Blaupunkt MD reciever w/CD changer, MTX Thunder Form, Clarion 5X7's up front, Infinity Kappa's in back, kick panels with JBL components, Relocated starter button, Billet pedals, red interior lights w/neon, purple neon and strobe lights for the shows, and more.
fe5736c6.gif

Adam, that was you? man, that was my first kill in the civic, thought you were going to take me for a second. good thing you only had one gear !! going to have to get that quad turbo setup ive been wanting. and of course a 7" fart pipe !

------------------
1994 Lightning #2685
1987 Harley FLHT
1967 Ranchero

I used to have a 98 Honda Prelude SH - and I know nothing about 93 Probe's. The main thing about the SH's isnt the "strait on" speed - its the ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System) suspension - it could really handle. Only few races I ever had were a early 90's camaro - it beat me. A hopped up civic - we were almost even. And an obviously modded out Integra Type R that totally blew me apart. I was really good at driving it too
smile.gif

------------------
Silver 01
bedrug&snuglid
JL Audio system
Magnaflow 14468
picture album
icon3.jpg

Hey, Jeff, GOOD KILL!!!

Hey RT4U2BEAT---SHUUUTTUUUPPP!!!!
Funny thing is that you weren't there, you were given the actual scenario that really happened, you don't know the opposing driver, AND YOU ARE STILL MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE LOSER BECAUSE THE FORD WON. Driving skill? HAHAHA!!! This sounds like you've been brainwashed by your R/T buddies into believing a Ford can't win a race. The problem is that it's just like doing five tequila shooters at the bar and then picking a fight with Bubba. No matter how much you believe your going to win, the truth is that your going to end up bloody-side down on the floor. Accept the truth; FORDS DO WIN RACES. Sure, there's some fast Dakotas, Hondas, and hundreds of other cars and trucks out there that are fast. Just don't call "BULL$#IT" unless you were there. Whew. I've been waiting to do that for weeks...

I'm not picking on Dakotas, just that this owner in particular needs some therapy...unless you are joking and I need to go to anger management classes. Oh well, either way, my point was made.

WOW.. Mo and I agree on something..... Shuttin up RT4U2NV.....

------------------
01 white lightning, JDM flip chip, Best ET so far, 13.23 @ 104mph.
2000 Civic Si, vortech, killer stereo, screaming little bitch.
2000 Suzuki RM125. slings mud every weekend.
85 toyota tercel
3 Beagles,My boyz, Pokey, Nitro, and Slinger JJ's Whitelightning

My new albums

Back