Home of the Lightning----November 2003 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

svt

Home of the lightning

Hey Lightning Enthusiasts;

I work at the Ontario truck plant in Oakville,Ontario Canada, home of the lightning. From 1999 thru to the present we're the only plant that have ever built gen.2 lightnings. If anyone has any assembly plant production questions feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer I'll find someone in the plant that does know the answer.

So long,Pat

I have a question, is there really a big difference between the way SVT assembles a vehicle and the way FORD does a standard F-150? I have always boasted that the L is "hand built" am I spewing--:ae: ??

Hey JAY/unit;
I'd love to say the lightnings are hand built but unfortunately there not. They are spaced in the build usually at 1 to 8 ratio.
(one lightning for every standard f-150 that comes down line).
However, when we test the lightnings we are much harder on them (in a good way) then we are on a standard f-150. For everyones information the warranty numbers on lightnings are one third of the Cobra's. The slightest sound,burp or whatever we find when testing the lightnings gets fixed before it leaves our plant. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks Pat

svt said:
Hey JAY/unit;
I'd love to say the lightnings are hand built but unfortunately there not. They are spaced in the build usually at 1 to 8 ratio.
(one lightning for every standard f-150 that comes down line).
However, when we test the lightnings we are much harder on them (in a good way) then we are on a standard f-150. For everyones information the warranty numbers on lightnings are one third of the Cobra's. The slightest sound,burp or whatever we find when testing the lightnings gets fixed before it leaves our plant. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks Pat

When you say the L numbers are 1/3 the cobras, are you saying for every lightning warranty repair there are 3 cobras? Just curious, but does that also take into account there are 3 cobras for every lightning in 03?

(not a flame in case someone reads it that way. I'm genuinely curious, and I have had 0 problems with mine so far)

Is there any way to get a factory painted Yellow '04 Lightning? Where do the Yellow & Orange Boss 5.4's come from or do they paint new vehicles on their own?

:tu:

I have a ?. I bought a 2003 sonic blue a couple of months ago and have found 5 or 6 spots in the paint that have dirt in it. now the dealer is taking care of it , but it just sucks that a new SVT LIGHTNING needs to be repainted (just the door and left rear panel). How come the factory never caught it? is this a problem with all sonic blue cars and trucks?

Hey Steelgrave;

It's all based on percentages. So, for example for every 100
SVT cobras's out in the field 10 may be returned for warranty whereas for every 100 SVT lightnings out in the field only 3 may be returned for warranty.

Thanks Pat

KIRST8404 said:
I have a ?. I bought a 2003 sonic blue a couple of months ago and have found 5 or 6 spots in the paint that have dirt in it. now the dealer is taking care of it , but it just sucks that a new SVT LIGHTNING needs to be repainted (just the door and left rear panel). How come the factory never caught it? is this a problem with all sonic blue cars and trucks?

mine has some spots too, but it was bought used so I have to deal with it.

Hey Rick & Erin;
I know for sure that the yellow and orange painted lightnings are not from us. Someone must paint it after it leaves us. However here is a little insider information. In late 1999 we built a one off yellow lightning that was for plant use only. It was driven by just about everybody in the plant. When it was finally auctioned off it had about 25000 miles on it. By that point the truck already went thru one motor and I believe 1 tranny.

Thanks Pat

Hey KIRST8404;
I apologize for the plant missing the paint problem on your truck. I hate hearing stuff like that. Hopefully everything works out for you without to much aggravation.

Thanks Pat

Hey KIRST8404;
I forgot to answer that other question. I'll ask the paint department if the've had problems with the sonic blue's. I'll get back to you.

Thanks Pat

I appreciate your concern (as a builder of these truck). The original dealer gave me greif about my complaint, but ford has offered another dealer for the paint work and they have been very supportive in regaurd to the problems. The original dealer was a real A**hole and will never get my truck for service , and will never see me again. (Except for the occasional burn out in front of their windows. He He!!!)

Hey Pat, thanks for your input!

If a Lightning was built in the winter, would it ever see salt before is gets to the dealership?

Are all these Lightings dynoed? (like the vettes)

BTW: My 02 has trash in the paint as well.

Rich B

My white 02 has a drip of clearcoat at the bottom of the drivers door. Not a bad problem, but something I will live with.

:)

Last edited:
I'm glad that im not the only one with paint defects. I had a ford service rep ( from ford) come and look at it and he authorized it to get fixxed. The dealer has a brand new paint booth and they assured me that it will be perfect and to my liking.

Hey KIRST8404;
I just got back from our paint repair area. Its a good news, bad news thing. Good news is sonic blues rarely need repairing because first run out of the paint department is very good when it comes to sonic blue. Bad news is our paint inspectors must have flat out missed detecting the spots. Thats all I can tell you.
Thanks Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back