Finally getting caged and 4-linked

I'm not sure. Apparently swingouts are plenty strong as NHRA approved of them. Here's a pic of tube clamps. They do seem stronger and there will be no rattles when they're in place. I'll just climb around em' at the track.

cam-clamps-apart.jpg

Where did these end up on the door bars? I would be scared of clipping one on the way in or out of the truck and it taking a chunk of flesh out with it.

What are you doing for shocks and springs?

Those are mounts for a wishbone locator. There will be tabs added to the top of the pumpkin to mount the other end.

So this is an alternative to a panhard?

How do you keep the thing from binding? You have the axle already making a compound arc, and now you add another radius to the curve? How does that work?

As an example, consider bump steer. With the tie rod not attached, the spindle can move up and down freely. But add a tie rod, and if the geometry is not completely perfect, the wheel will toe in or toe out on articulation. And if the steering wheel is locked (acting like a third link), the suspension is simply frozen.

I can see that it would be possible to get it right for any given lower and upper link configuration, but I thought that the multiple holes for the 4-link were to be able to fine-tune the AS. Would you be able to adjust the wishbone to compensate?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but this wishbone thing is new to me. I know that baggers use them, but those guys usually have no clue about performance suspensions.

Not a dumb question Tim. Most people wouldn't even pickup on that. A wishbone locator has a slip/slider tube built into it.

Man, thats coming along very nice and looks incredible!! I've had this on my list of things to do over the next........20yrs!! LOL!

Where did these end up on the door bars? I would be scared of clipping one on the way in or out of the truck and it taking a chunk of flesh out with it.

What are you doing for shocks and springs?
The side bars and tube clamps have not been done yet. Since they don't have to clear to swing out I'm sure they can be tucked away so not to catch me. Plus I don't plan to be out running errands in the truck. Will most likely just be taking it to the track to play from here on out.
We're in the process of figuring out shocks now. AFCO most likely.

Man, thats coming along very nice and looks incredible!! I've had this on my list of things to do over the next........20yrs!! LOL!

Thanks Wes! :thumbup:
Ahhh, like the "biscuit bar" dirt trackers use. Clever.

Not sure it's like a biscuit bar setup as I know it. It does triangulate to a center telescoping section. Here is a pic from one of my favorite Lightning chassis builds. You can see the wishbone locater mounted to the top of the rear end. And then the telescoping center section.

Some update pics from Nate. :eek:ldtu:

Wishbone locator just about finished

ikatya31.jpg

Started on the C-notch with some custom designed and water jet cut plates

ikatya32.jpg

ikatya33.jpg

Some more updates from Nate.
Quoted from Nate...

"We finished up with the wishbone mount on the housing today and made some more progress on the C-notch. We still need to bend the plate for the bottom side of the notch before it all gets welded up. The rear cage supports are going to tie into the shock crossmember between the inner and outer notch plates.

We also added in two crossmembers in the rear. These are for mounting the fuel cell and water tank for the intercooler. We found that the back half of the frame was a bit tweaked when adding in these crossmembers, so we had to straighten the rails some, but everything is nice and square now. The passenger side frame rail was about 3/8" lower than the drivers side in the very rear, but luckily the frame rails are really easily tweaked once the X-brace is removed. Anyone removing the X-brace really needs to add in some other type of support, especially if you are sticking with leaf springs"

And the eye candy!

ikatya36.jpg

ikatya37.jpg

ikatya38.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Jason. We need to catch up some more soon. I'm very interested in hearing about more of your plans. Plus I want to see this in person when it finished. I told you my secrets now you tell me yours haha. In fact, where did you get those tube clamps ideas?

100_7647.jpg

Look familiar :p FFS

Thanks Stan! We'll have to catch up here soon. As much as I want to run the tube clamps it seems that most agree they will not pass nhra rules for it being a true double shear like your typical swingouts. The other problem is the size. The only ones I could find for 1 5/8" moly were for .120 wall and this cage is all .090 wall. Those were from Kartek offroad. If you have any info on where to find the right size or some legal research please jump in. I'd really appriciate it as I really want to run the tube clamps. Nate also started a thread on YB and while there were some mixed opinions most agreed it could be a hassel at the track inspection. Rick said he saw a guy at Fontana getting hassled over them because most don't understand them.

About ^

You know what I would say about certain peoples "opinions" and what they "supposedly" saw. Take that with a grain of salt. As far as the YB guys, they usually know their ****. However sounds to me like if anything it would be a tech by tech situation, whether they pass or not? Of course if you have other issues or the cage does not meet other requirements they would hassle you even more than that. However I understand wanting to be 100% sure and as far as getting them positively legalized???

I know if is a different certification program and rulebook, but they pass with flying colors in the off-road industry, so??? FFS

About ^

You know what I would say about certain peoples "opinions" and what they "supposedly" saw. Take that with a grain of salt. As far as the YB guys, they usually know their ****. However sounds to me like if anything it would be a tech by tech situation, whether they pass or not? Of course if you have other issues or the cage does not meet other requirements they would hassle you even more than that. However I understand wanting to be 100% sure and as far as getting them positively legalized???

I know if is a different certification program and rulebook, but they pass with flying colors in the off-road industry, so??? FFS

The NHRA rulebook is pretty detailed about swingouts, but there is a little wiggle room. It all comes down to how the individual chassis inspector interprets the rules when you try to get your sticker. The tube clamps may be safe enough, but you still have to play by the rules set by NHRA. I do like the design of the tube clamps, but I don't want Jason to get harassed at the track.

The NHRA rulebook is pretty detailed about swingouts, but there is a little wiggle room. It all comes down to how the individual chassis inspector interprets the rules when you try to get your sticker. The tube clamps may be safe enough, but you still have to play by the rules set by NHRA. I do like the design of the tube clamps, but I don't want Jason to get harassed at the track.

Nate, what if we did the tube clamps and then when I had them bolted in I could have a piece of neoprem or foam tubing slid over the connection. A couple tip ties ant they'd never touch it. Just figure the bars were welded in. :?:? Still would need to find the proper size tube clamps.

You know what I would say about certain peoples "opinions" and what they "supposedly" saw. Take that with a grain of salt. As far as the YB guys, they usually know their ****.

I know you and Rick have a past but he always speaks highly of you in person, just likes to fire ya up on the interwebz. As for what he saw at fontana, he knows how much I want to run them and is only looking out for me not to have issues at the gate.

Nate, what if we did the tube clamps and then when I had them bolted in I could have a piece of neoprem or foam tubing slid over the connection. A couple tip ties ant they'd never touch it. Just figure the bars were welded in. :?:? Still would need to find the proper size tube clamps.

It's not necessarily track tech that you have to worry about, it's getting your chassis sticker from a NHRA chassis inspector. They are going to check the tubing size, wall thickness, welds, etc. I wouldn't try to pull a fast one on them by covering the tube clamps. They'd likely find them and be pissed if it was something that they thought wasn't legal.

Back