Finally getting caged and 4-linked

lkatya

built KB 2.6H
Just thought I'd post this progress over here for my NLOC brethren :eek:ldtu:

I gave my truck to
Nate Kinder and his very talented welding partner. They are just starting a new business venture "Kustom Weldfab" up in Redwood City, Ca.

The truck is getting an 8.5 4130 cage. Figured with plans to some day get deep into the 9's I'd like to be safe and legal. Already been banned from every local track until a cage goes in.
I also wanted to run a 31X10.5 Hoosier with a 14.7 section width and tuck em' under the bedsides with a nice low stance.
That resulted in a push to go 4-link for the extra room and ability to really dial in my suspension. I had already done away with the stock gas tank and fuel system so there was plenty of room do go this route.

ikatya4.jpg

ikatya6.jpg

ikatya5.jpg

ikatya8.jpg

ikatya7.jpg

Decided to go 9" with a Moser M9

ikatya12.jpg

ikatya15.jpg

41 spline gun drilled axles

ikatya14.jpg

Aluminum case w/spool 3:83 gears

ikatya13.jpg

15lbs out of the tailgate

ikatya16.jpg

Starting to come together

ikatya21.jpg

ikatya20.jpg

Also hanging the bedsides on an aluminum frame starting to come together

ikatya22.jpg

That's all for now. I'll keep this updated over here. :eek:ldtu:

Very nice, looks like a high dollar racer now. Are you going to modify the driver entry? Looks tough to get in and out right now.

Wow !! What a sick build:eek:ldtu:!! Would you share pics from the engine that terrorism the Moser :thumbup:?!

Chris

Very nice, looks like a high dollar racer now. Are you going to modify the driver entry? Looks tough to get in and out right now.

You must be looking at the first couple pics when its down while he's welding up the halo. In the 5th or 6th pic it's pushed up. The The shoulder down bars are not even in yet. Those will be bolt in instead of the popular swingouts.

Wow !! What a sick build:eek:ldtu:!! Would you share pics from the engine that terrorism the Moser :thumbup:?!
Chris
Thanks bud! This motor ain't nothing fancy. It's a typical built motor with all hand porting, 1mm oversize valves and a custom cam my builder dreampt up. I don't have any current pics since the fuel system went in. And never finished a race tune because we were running out of fuel with the stock lines, 255's and 60's.
Here's an old pic. I'll look for something more recent.
DSC02617.jpg

Kick *** work man!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great Jason:hail:

That looks really nice, good job!

Great job!!
That's coming alone nicely and should prove to be a great set up.

Thanks guys! I'm very happy with the work so far. I'll be really happy to finally be able to stay the whole night at a track without having my wristband cut off at the end of the track.

That guys work looks to be top notch! Your going to save a ton of weight with the bed and rears suspension change. I can't wait to see the progress pictures from this build.

That guys work looks to be top notch! Your going to save a ton of weight with the bed and rears suspension change. I can't wait to see the progress pictures from this build.

:eek:ldtu:
Great work but question... How much more weight was put on due to cage and BEEFIER REAR?!

There is some added weight with the cage but there is no way around that. I'd have to check with Nate but I seem to remember his calculations where under 100lbs. Now that beefier rear alone is over 100lbs lighter than the factory 9 3/4 rear. Hanging the bedsides should net another 100lbs. A few other things and I think the truck will come home 300lbs lighter with a cage and the new suspension. You'd be shocked how much in spring hangers and that X brace weighed. :scared1:

Read my mind, I was thinking about entry on the first photos but was really wondering if you going swing-out or not. Does the bolt-in have a strength advantage or is it a cage rating issue?

Read my mind, I was thinking about entry on the first photos but was really wondering if you going swing-out or not. Does the bolt-in have a strength advantage or is it a cage rating issue?

I'm not sure. Apparently swingouts are plenty strong as NHRA approved of them. Here's a pic of tube clamps. They do seem stronger and there will be no rattles when they're in place. I'll just climb around em' at the track.

cam-clamps-apart.jpg

Here are some progress pics.....

ikatya23.jpg

ikatya24.jpg

ikatya25.jpg

ikatya27.jpg

The passenger side got a little kick to clear my exhaust tips

ikatya26.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. That is one really sweet rear end. On the truck that is. :eek:ldtu:

This is a super post w/excellant pictures. It don't get no better.

Keep us updated. Thanks!!!

Back