Fab Fords Forever 2017

Nazgul

Black Rider
Hi guys. Just thought I'd let you know that next year's Fab Fords will be on April 30th. That means we caravan down on Friday, April 28th. Some of us old timers will return on Monday May 1.

Margaret and I intend to make reservations ASAP at the Courtyard Marriott across the street from Medieval Times.

Since we attended Medieval Times this year, next year will be the Pirate Dinner Experience.

Much more to follow as we get closer to April 2017. But we are going to reserve our room soon.

Paul, seems there's a few up here in the PNW that are planning to attend this. Since we're all "rookies" for this show can you give me/us some pointers on this gig ? Where and when to register, motel or motels to reserve a room and for how many nights ?

Scott

Paul, seems there's a few up here in the PNW that are planning to attend this. Since we're all "rookies" for this show can you give me/us some pointers on this gig ? Where and when to register, motel or motels to reserve a room and for how many nights ?

Scott

Hi Scott!

What I recommend depends on what you all want to do. I can tell you what we do:

We usually drive down in a small group on the Friday before the show (which is Sunday only). We pick up members at a few locations along the way. Normally, we stop in Bakersfield for lunch at the Willow Ranch BBQ Restaurant, at the Hwy 5/Hwy 58 exit. We then drive over the Grapevine, and check into our hotel, then either sit and drink or go wash the trucks. Some, who can't get off work or whatever, elect to drive down on Saturday. Unfortunately, they miss out on whatever we decide to do all day!
Saturday morning, some of us go to the Donut Derelicts cruise about 15 minutes away in Huntington Beach. Great donuts, lots of really cool rods and customs and classic cars!

Then we try to find something else fun to do. We have gone to local car shows, toured car-related businesses, even driven out to Chino to take pics of our Lightnings with a P-38 Lightning at Planes of Fame Air Museum. One year a couple of us entered the 'Ford/Shelby/Cobra Reunion' at the NHRA Museum in Pomona. It was open to all Ford performance vehicles, and they welcomed a couple of Lightnings with open arms. We got to park among real Cobras and Shelby Mustangs, and replica Daytona Coupes, among the Thunderbolts, etc. Plus free entry to the museum. We have toured Hillbanks Motorsports, Galpin Ford's customizing shop/car collection, Surf City Garage's private car collection, gone to Bob's Big Boy diner where we saw George Barris, and gone to the Petersen Auto Museum. So Saturday can be full and fun.

Saturday night most of us usually meet for dinner at either Medieval Times or the Pirate Dinner Experience. This year is Medieval Times.

Sunday we get up before dawn to get in line for the show. The wives stay in bed, then walk over after they get up & shower. Registration is inside. You will get a mirror-hangar in the mail which 1) gets you in and 2) tells them where to park you. If you want to see all the vehicles, you will be walking all day! I have never seen all of them in one year! Sometimes the wife and kids will go to Knott's Berry Farm while the guys are at the show. Depends on what they want.

We (Margaret and I, and some others) usually stay until Monday morning, because we're too old to make it home after the show ends on Sunday night. The younger guys have no problem driving home after the show. If your group makes a multi-day trip getting home, it makes no difference if you leave Sunday night or stay. You will need to stay somewhere; lots of places, depending on which route you want to take. Most of the routes in SoCal are quite crowded. Some of us try to beat the traffic going different ways. Others just get on Hwy 5 North and deal with it. 101North is another route. Not as straight or fast, but much more scenic and relaxing. It goes up to San Jose, then to SF, across the Golden Gate. But just getting to it will take time, from Buena Park.

We have usually stayed at the Knott's Hotel, but the last two or three years the service has been getting worse. They used to block off part of their parking lot and have guards; not any more. The prices have gone up. They have changed their buffet. And their shuttle won't take us to the local shows or restaurants, and they're kinda far to walk to. So this year Margaret and I (and hopefully some others) will probably stay at the Marriott Courtyard on Beach Blvd., depending on the price. It is walking distance to the dinner shows and lots of restaurants. The parking lot is not as big. We will still probably meet with friends at the Knott's Hotel bar on Friday night.

For someone who has never been in the area before, I might recommend taking a few extra days and hitting the major theme parks. Knott's is really nice--a western theme with a good chicken dinner restaurant. There's Disneyland, of course, and California Adventure--two parks, about 20 minutes away. There's Santa Monica Pier, and Huntington Beach Pier. On the way into or out of the area, in Valencia, in Magic Mountain. Maybe called Six Flags now, or something similar. Great roller coasters.

Regarding picking a hotel/motel, I would say just google lodging near Knott's Berry Farm. Knott's is only around the corner from the show entrance, which is in a Knott's parking lot. Do a google maps satellite view, then move the screen around to see exactly which hotels are nearby. Some of the people we've met at the show stay farther away because they found cheaper prices there. There are a ton of hotels/motels and restaurants in the area. But I would recommend making reservations by next month, as they fill up fast. That goes for BALA too!

Hope this helps some.

My brother and I all ways stay a the Knott's hotel, we meet up with Buckley and his wife Rita, Malibu Phill and his wife Cherri sometimes stay there also. The Knotts Hotel has a nice bar and the breakfast buffet is always the same. I think this will be my 14th year going to the show. This year my Lightning will be in attendance. You guys should meet us at Los Banos Hiway 5 usualy at around 9:00 A.M.

Meet up times and places for Friday April 28th are .....

The first meet up spot is in Patterson, Sperry Ave Exit off HWY 5 @ 8:00 AM - AM/PM Gas Station

The second meet up spot is in Los Banos, Exit # 391 Mercey Springs Road off HWY 5 @ 8:45 AM - Shell Gas Station

Please remember to bring your Walkie Talkie radios, sun screen, shorts, dinner show tickets, small tool box, fuses, duct tape and a spare tire.

We usually stop for lunch at a BBQ spot along the way ...... yummy!

It will be great to meet all you from the PNW.

Well, thanks Gene ! I see you're from El Cajon. WAY back when I was stationed at Imperial Beach from April '69 to June '74. Hung out in a lot of places around the greater San Diego area. We even made our way east to El Cajon from time to time. Seems there was an oval track there we went to at least once. See you have a white Gen 1, wonder what your Gen 2 is ? We have a "few" white Gen 1's too. A True Blue Gen 2 as well.

Those of us traveling south will equally look forward to meeting you as well ! I've met Paul, George, both Alexes, Roy and some others I don't recall the names of at the moment. Will be fun to "hang" with you guys again ! Suspect you'll be making the drive up for the day from El Cajon. No need for motels and all that fussy stuff !! See you in April !

Scott

Scott, Which of the fleet are you planning on bring down? One of the stretched models. And are you planning to bring Mr. Stock with you? Registration opens Jan. 1 2017, just go to there web site Fabulous Fords Forever. Gene

Last edited:
Scott, Which of the fleet are you planning on bring down? One of the stretched models. And are you planning to bring Mr. Stock with you? Registration opens Jan. 1 2017, just go to there web site Fabulous Fords Forever. Gene

Actually Gene, Steve brought this trip up to me ! I said, "I'm in !". Now it's time to start thinking about it and planning for it. So I certainly believe Steve will be coming !

Can't say for sure what truck will be coming. The CrewCab is not yet road worthy for me. The '95 standard cab and the '94 SuperCab are the prettiest. The Gen 2 just got a fresh engine and has had little breakin miles put on it as of today. Should have it's breakin miles taken care of and hopefully tuning on the truck by late April but don't know I'll feel comfortable making a 1300 mile run in it by then. Leaning towards the '94 SuperCab at the moment.

Scott

Our truck & Roy's truck. Photos taken at LightningFest 2008. Wished Bobby would have been there too so 3 SuperCabs could be together.

3271618738_495b5259eb_b.jpg

Roy's truck and ours.

3270799859_24f2ce6818_b.jpg

Scott

I have not seen Roy's truck - but I didn't start in with the Lightnings until 2002. Purchased my Gen2 in Aug of 2001, then the end of 2003 I started looking at Gen1's - purchased my 94 Jan. 2004.

I am still undecided if I am gonna make it this year. Gotta check race track schedules.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I have not seen Roy's truck - but I didn't start in with the Lightnings until 2002. Purchased my Gen2 in Aug of 2001, then the end of 2003 I started looking at Gen1's - purchased my 94 Jan. 2004.

Yakked with Roy earlier today. I was surprised in that he had never taken his truck down to Fab Fords ! His conversion is number 13 and he had Full Effect do the conversion in late '94. He's the original owner of the truck. During the conversion process he accumulated a wealth of paperwork from Full Effect and a great deal of paperwork about Full Effect and the company's accomplishments with SuperCab Lightnings. 90% of what I have learned about the conversions and Full Effect come through Roy !

Scott

So how many of the Full Effects extra cab conversion were made, and how many are still out there?

To the best of my knowledge there were 16 Full Effect SuperCab Lightning conversions done. I consider the yellow cab to be number 0. My wife doesn't like that so she calls it the prototype. Number 1 is in Louisiana, number 13 in the Bay area of CA, number 15 in Washington. The prototype is also in Washington. Bill Thomas was the owner of Full Effect, the yellow cab was his personal truck, and I'm told he kept horrible records. There is no real documentation from his company. I attempted to find him several years ago without success. The white one we have is not a Full Effect conversion though it is done in much the same way. So, I claim there were 17 total conversions known. 16 Full Effect and one done by the original owner. There are currently 4 Full Effect conversions known to exist and one non Full Effect conversion for a total of 5. There was also 2 CrewCab Lightning conversions done. There is one known to currently exist.

Not saying that is all that's out there now or that only 16 Full Effect conversions were done. It's the best information I have concerning the conversions.

Here's an option list for Full Effect conversions and this is thanks to Roy

8304113461_5bd390e660_o.jpg

Scott

Back