April 2008 Gen 2 - TOTM - Congratulations Spencer "SWThomas" Thomas !(NLOC#1892)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie

Will Work For Truck Parts
April 2008 Gen 2 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Spencer (SWThomas) Thomas ! (NLOC #1892) 2003 DSG Ford Lightning

WhippleWeekend30.jpg

April's TOTM goes to a well deserved Lightning owner who has been an outstanding asset to our community. You name it, he has probably done a "How to" on it. You post a question, he is one of the first to usually respond even if you're a Newbie! He has gone out of way to help other Lightning owners wrench on their vehicles and doesn't spare one ounce of attention to detail as if it was his own vehicle. I can go on and on, so read on and learn about SWThomas and his beautiful DSG Lightning now sporting a newly built motor and the newly installed 3.4 Whipple Supercharger.

SlicksSkinniesMounted-1.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

Back in 2002 I read an article in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords about the Gen 2 Ford Lightning. It was a shoot-out between the Lightning, a Mustang Cobra (Not a Terminator), a Camaro SS, and a Dodge Viper. The only vehicle that was able to outperform the Lightning was the Viper. I was amazed that a pick-up truck was so awesome!

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner ?

No. My only previous vehicle was a Dodge Ram Sport and it pales in comparison to my Lightning.

PurgePlumbing1.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

WhippleWeekend32.jpg

GO:
- Built Shortblock (Built by Johnny Durham)
- Stage II Cylinder Heads (Built by Johhny Durham)
- Crower Stage II Cams
- 3.4L Whipple Supercharger with 3.5” Pulley
- Metco Hub with 6.5” Lower Pulley
- Magnum Powers Idler Bracket & (3) Reichard Racing Idler Pulleys
- Accufab Polished Single Blade Throttle Body
- Aeromotive Fuel Rail Kit
- Siemen Deka 60# Fuel Injectors
- JDM Fuel Hat Assembly (with custom fuel hoses & filter by me)
- Walbro 255lph Fuel Pumps
- Kook Long-Tube Headers with Jet-Hot 2000 Ceramic Coating
- Bassani BX Cat-Back Exhaust System
- NX Ford EFI Single Nozzle Nitrous Kit
- NX Purge Valve Kit
- FJO Mini Progressive Controller
- Fuel Pressure Safety Switch
- Dyno-Tune Nitrous Switch Center
- NX Automatic Remote Bottle Opener
- NX Fire & Ice Bottle Pressure Controller
- NX D-4 Pure-Flow N20 Filter
- LFP Radiator
- Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
- JLP Ultra Cooler Intercooler Reservoir
- JDM Electric Fan Kit
- Hurst Line-Lock (with custom bent lines by me)
- Level 10 Stage III Torque-Master Transmission
- Precision Industries 2400 Stall Torque Converter
- Ford Super-Duty Transmission Cooler
- Summit Remote Transmission Filter Kit (with custom hoses by me)
- Ford 4X4 Transmission Pan
- Detroit True-Trac Differential
- TA Performance 9.75 Lightning Rear Girdle (custom painted by me)
- Innovate XD-16/LC-1 Wideband
- Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge with Oil Pressure Kit
- SCT XCal2
- Rotorpros Slotted & Dimpled Brake Rotors
- Hawk HPS Brake Pads
- Russell Front Brake Line Kit
- Stop Flex Rear Brake Line Kit
- Competition Engineering Drive Shaft Loop Kit
- JLP 3” Adjustable Drop Shackles
- JLP Lightning Traction Bars
- Ruslow Panhard Bar Kit
- Ruslow Upper Shock Mounts
- QA1 Adjustable Performance Shocks (Front & Rear)
- JDM Drag Springs
- Bogart 15X5 Drag Star Front Racing Wheels
- Bogart 15X10 Rear Drag Star Racing Wheels
- Hoosier 30X10.5-15 Radial Slicks (C07 Compound)
- Moroso 29X7.5-15 Drag Special Front Tires

WhippleWeekend21.jpg

SHOW:
- Auto Meter Triple Gauge Pillar Pod
- Auto Meter Phantom 2 1/16” Mechanical 30 PSI Boost Gauge
- Autometer Phantom Fuel Pressure Gauge
- Auto Meter Steering Column Gauge Pod
- Team Breed Custom Cam Covers with Oil Filler Extension
- Wet Okole Custom Lightning Seat Covers
- Dyno-Tune Digital Nitrous Pressure Gauge
- DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Wire Loom Cover Set
- DGM Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover
- Clear Corner Signal Lights
- Stealth Bulbs Mirror Coated Amber Turn Signal Bulbs
- Custom Made Nitrous Bottle Blanket
- Top-Deck Hard Toneau Cover (Painted Dark Shadow Gray)
- Shortened Antenna
- Grille Mod
- Chickenears Lightning Floor Mats
- BedRug

WetOkoleSeatCovers.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning ?

I was racing at Mason Dixon Raceway in Hagerstown, MD. against some super-modified old-school dragster and he blew a coolant hose in front of me. He went fishtailing down the track and came over in my lane. I swerved to avoid him and went sliding through the grass at over 110MPH. Thankfully I didn't flip and no one got hurt. That was the scariest experience I've had in my Lightning so far.

GaugesInstalled.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

My #1 hobby is my Lightning. I love racing it and wrenching on it. My other hobbies include NASCAR, moderating forums, playing with my iPhone, fishing, hunting, swimming, working out, running, helping other people in any way I can, writing How-To's for the forums, and hanging out with my friends.

I work for the United States Marine Corps. My primary occupation is Small Arms Repair. I have been doing it for over 9 years. I also instruct Combat Water Survival and Marine Corps Martial Arts. I was a Drill Instructor for a short time.

D3.jpg

My family consists of my wife Lisa and my daughter Hannah. My wife is also a Marine so she is very understanding of the military lifestyle.

HannahDaddyonnaturewalk.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC ?

I've been a user since June 2005. That's also when I became a member. I chose to become a member because I wanted to learn more about my truck and also get to know other Lightning owners. I became a paying member to support a great site that offers a lot to it's members.

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

The site is pretty easy to navigate. I did prefer the old iTrader system for feedback when buying and selling things. But I understand why it went away.

8. Why did you choose your board user name (screen name) ?

Because my name is Spencer W. Thomas. So SWThomas seemed good.

NXFireIceRemoteLEDInstall7.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck ?

Whipple34L9.jpg

I'm relocating the battery this week. I'm also planning to install the WMS Wicked Rack soon. I just bought a Navigator center console and as soon as I get some racing seats, I'm going to install that.

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

Excessive Motorsport in Mannassas, VA. They were the ones who did most of my major mods and tuning in the beginning. Steve Mankus for getting me to make my first modification and helping me with a lot of them. Billy Bell for helping me through every step of my nitrous install and fabricating some awesome aluminum parts for me. And last but certainly not least, Bob Browning (Fade 2 Black). He has helped me so much I don't think I'll ever be able to repay him. He is definitely an awesome friend and a true asset to the Lightning community.

WhippleWeekend45.jpg

Here are several "How to:" threads from SWThomas!!:
http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/how-articles/139563-how-innovate-xd-16-lc-1-wideband-kit.html

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/how-articles/139406-how-qa1-front-shocks.html

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/how-articles/113134-walbro-twin-255lph-fuel-pump-install.html

Congratulations to Spencer W. Thomas and his 2003 DSG Ford Lightning for Gen 2 Truck of the Month, April 2008!!

Last edited by a moderator:
A GREAT BIG CONGRATS to you Spencer for a fabulous truck and for being an asset to the Gen 2 guys on NLOC !!!

Scott

:thumbup:Congrats you deserve it.:eek:ldtu: Awsome ride and love :heart:your how to THANKS

by the way i recieved my oilseperator i am very satisfied with it:D

Keep up the good work;k

Thanks a bunch fellas! I appreciate all the accolades, but I would still do what I do for the Lightning community without them. I really enjoy helping anyone I can.:clinkmugs

BTW, HD#7264, I'm glad you like the catch can.:bigtu:

Congratulations, Spencer. Nice truck and great write up. Thanks to you and your wife for your service to our country. :eek:ldtu:

Way to go Spense!! Very well deserved. I've used your how to"s on more than one occasion. Thanks for all you do for us and our country!

Shawn

It was only a matter of time before your truck would have been here. Your "how to'" writeups are a benefit to many of your L brothers because, I'm sure many of us have used them one time or another.....Congrats on being one of the top trucks of the year...:eek:ldtu:

Congrats Spencer.

You are a true asset to the Lightning Community and have helped 100s.

Every thing looks great.

JOB WELL DONE :eek:ldtu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back