Second build up from the short block

The engine made its way home safely.
I didn’t realize that the horizontal bolt pattern on the heads is the narrow bolt pattern, aka stock pattern. Neither one of those bolt patterns fit my headers.
So now I either have to buy new flanges and weld on to my headers or buy new headers. If I go with new flanges I’m a little worried about them being short, after cutting the old flanges off. Does anybody have any advice here?
f4253404ecf8d7400e3776369b06a637.jpg

36f03d905ab00ea2855ce9e1167a6b50.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're certain that's a stock pattern? Looks wide in those pictures.

Sure looks pretty! It'll look even better in the truck. I can send you some stock style exhaust pieces to start it up with. :)

Nice! I'm hoping mine will be here in April.
Are you sure they are narrow pattern? The AFR 220s are a 3" pattern...

Nice! I'm hoping mine will be here in April.
Are you sure they are narrow pattern? The AFR 220s are a 3" pattern...

That’s what my headers are built for. There’s no way to add the 2” pattern to it with the big primary tubes. I assumed the Trick flow heads would have the 3” pattern and the diagonal.
Assumptions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the only "adapter" flanges they make go from the narrow to the trickflow diagonal, not the narrow to the slightly wider straight ones which obviously isn't any help. Do you have someone that can change the flanges for a reasonable price? Id think that when done correctly you wouldn't see any change in the location of the tubes/collector. If the heads where off i'd think drilling them would be an option as well. On a side note. How well do the header gaskets seat when using the outside pattern since the sealing surface is going to have the small pattern in it?

Travis, I saw those adapter flanges, that would be my last choice, but I could modify it to accept the wider bolt pattern. I don’t like having a second sealing surface and more fasteners in the heat, if I have a choice.

I can weld the new flanges on, or at the very least mock it up in the truck, tack them on, and have it tig welded. I was concerned about losing the 3/8”-1/2” of primary tube when cutting the old flanges off and how that would affect the fit as you go down the pipes. But really it should only take a tiny bit of tilt to put the collectors back to the same place. I will have to grind back the ceramic coating to weld it. Hopefully that won’t leave residuals in the metal that will affect the welding process.

I was hoping that Kooks would make the Gen 1 lightning set with bigger tubes and the diagonal flange, but they’re talking big money, long waits, and bringing vehicle to North Carolina. No thanks!

Now I’m a lot more interested in modifying what I have.

The AFRs had the narrow and wide pattern but the gaskets with large ports tend to seal outside of the narrow pattern. I ran a copper crush gasket last time and it sealed better than the graphite gaskets.

Last edited:
Haven’t updated in a while. Lots of life going on lately. Not much build, but any way. Installed the new axles temporarily to make it a roller. Will get it off the lift to install engine and transmission then I will be able to set the pinion angle and finalize the rear end with solid welds, etc.
Tried to install the lower intake with 2 different thickness gaskets and the holes would not line up. The mating surfaces of the head and intake are perfect but the threaded holes in the heads just didn’t line up with the intake holes. So I put the intake on my vertical mill and adjusted each hole inboard about 1/8” and she fits nicely now. Slowly making progress.
bf558c6a309ed061f8ed122d0584a1e1.jpg

bb6c0f685e901cb7afb7d7bd20371547.jpg

9b21cf6ab4b919aae04a72102200f820.jpg

What intake are you using?

TFS box R
It’s ironic that it fit my AFR heads perfectly, even after decking the heads .015” on each side. But now that I’m using TFS heads and intake, it doesn’t fit.

Maybe it’s the way that the block and heads were machined? That’s the only thing that I could think of. I’m going to email Zach and see if he has any input.

Last edited:
TFS box R
It’s ironic that it fit my AFR heads perfectly, even after decking the heads .015” on each side. But now that I’m using TFS heads and intake it doesn’t fit.

Maybe it’s the way that the block and heads were machined? That’s the only thing that I could think of. I’m going to email Zach and see if he has any input.

Gotcha. I'm curious to see what Zack says. I'm between the Box R and Holley. My motor ships tomorrow from ZSR..

The little things that take to much time! I know its been asked on here . The auto fab motor mounts don’t fit the dart block. Here’s the stock block.
4f79e81093d3d77028f235b714dbeeb7.jpg

Here’s the dart block
386163069f913d2b366909590b520f9e.jpg

The extra webbing requires modification of the motor mounts.
4edb58a179118c67f6f8129e76ef3f20.jpg

All Said and done I had way to many hours trying to take the least amount of metal off of the mounts to make them fit.
e259a8986e108c607a0271840da230bb.jpg

What looks like mistakes was purposely milled from the mounts to make them fit perfectly. Except for that one spot that I messed up.

d11d55e679a61ca3aef2740570cbc82d.jpg

Tight tolerances.

Last edited:
I've been wondering how your doing with the motor.... hopefully mine will be going in this weekend....

Back