Second build up from the short block

Did you have belt slip with a similar setup?

Asking Jamie V

Been doing the supercharger thing on these Gen 1’s for over 20 years and from experience I know that once you go below a 3.15” upper it starts getting harder and harder to keep the belt from slipping.

You can tighten the belt more and more and more to try to overcome that but at some point guys have to start worrying about what all that tension is doing to the bearings in the supercharger and the main bearing on the front cap of the engine.

That’s why a bunch of us started using a water pump and timing cover from a SN95 Mustang and having a custom water pump pulley made so we can use a larger crank pulley.

Sunday at Spookfest we were seeing 15#’s of intercooled boost on Tommy’s 357 with his Si-trim with a 3.60” upper and 17#’s with a 3.33” upper. And that’s with not a ton of belt tension.

Been doing the supercharger thing on these Gen 1’s for over 20 years and from experience I know that once you go below a 3.15” upper it starts getting harder and harder to keep the belt from slipping.

You can tighten the belt more and more and more to try to overcome that but at some point guys have to start worrying about what all that tension is doing to the bearings in the supercharger and the main bearing on the front cap of the engine.

That’s why a bunch of us started using a water pump and timing cover from a SN95 Mustang and having a custom water pump pulley made so we can use a larger crank pulley.

Sunday at Spookfest we were seeing 15#’s of intercooled boost on Tommy’s 357 with his Si-trim with a 3.60” upper and 17#’s with a 3.33” upper. And that’s with not a ton of belt tension.

Got ya man. I figure I might as well try it then go bigger as needed. Guess we all learn by trial and error lol. I appreciate the feedback though for sure.

I have been looking at the big brushless pumps by aeromotive and fuel lab. Definitely pricey. I just wonder how they will do on the street. I got 800lph worth of pump now and I'm almost out of pump as it is.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have been looking at the big brushless pumps by aeromotive and fuel lab. Definitely pricey. I just wonder how they will do on the street. I got 800lph worth of pump now and I'm almost out of pump as it is.

For me it’s the ability to give what is needed vs cycling maximum volume at idle or cruising. Large volume pumps can cycle through and warm up the entire tank in minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about Holley, but Megasquirt also offers open and closed loop PWM control of the fuel pump. Never used it though.

Think it causes interference with the tps reading. However imo it's the perfect spot.

I’m sharing my TPS with the quick 4, as long as the two systems share a common ground(sensor ground) there’s no issues

I took my rear differential housing to a local shop to get the gears set up. I do most things myself but It’s not my favorite thing to do. While it was out I pulled the gas tank and made some adjustments.
I made the sump myself in 2016 and put relief in the top of the sump so the gas could drain to the sump but it wasn’t low enough after welding it together so I recently fixed it to maximize fuel circulation, cleaned it extensively, added a bigger vent, and re-installed it. Ordered parts to install a large vent with roll over protection valve.

I picked up the rear differential housing and installed it. The wheel studs were hitting the brake spring so I ground each one off slightly to clear it.

c13fcbcd10b193c0bd51e75eba2510c3.jpg

a02bec7407c4d4e7e9bcff3e98f35f20.jpg

e9ece768a05bb8c3a383325ee1a056e0.jpg

I didn’t notice it when I had it in the truck for mock up but I’m having a clearance issue with the “street bracing” and the frame. This picture is after I shortened the tabs by an inch.
1fab1c1edf9cb4f9114b0816b5cda95e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn’t really like the looks or the routing of the stock emergency brake cables, so I ordered a universal kit from Wilwood and I’m happy with how it turned out.
81e0b70fd54f0683b1529c2a0c80536e.jpg

012cbbb2f0a435c3e8548ae481bf1da8.jpg

2d8b312e5eecd6667e2c9d38f47c951c.jpg

a5ac7c612c7bfae80c34e033b4aae601.jpg

07c122eb5b55982da2c6454fe1f296ef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks good man. I actually eliminated the parking brake on both my trucks. I have the parts to reinstall it on the 95 but I haven’t yet.

I'm about to service rear drums on our generation of truck for the first time. Wow, what a big difference from the later generations.

We have to have a p-brake here to pass inspections.

I almost wrapped up the rear differential install. I ordered a stainless drain plug, when it comes in I can fill it with oil. Ordered a hose barb to install the breather tube. Only thing left after that is to install brake lines and bleed the brakes. The shock mounts are blocking the path of the original brake lines so I think I’m going to use flexible brake lines, not sure yet.

Once I order and install the driveshaft all the major components, besides exhaust, will be done. It’ll be down to brake lines, wiring, fuel system, engine accessories, and putting the front end back together.
This has taken much longer than I want but once it’s done I should be set to enjoy it for a while!

6ecd3b67a52bdb0476e9bbe53a29b960.jpg

a10fe7e4b38cb6d2ed6f5a544ee2d907.jpg

c439e327fee3e3d4c95df19817e8cfb2.jpg

cdd21b867dcfba42e0ad6c62ebdf94f6.jpg

Last edited:
Back