water/meth injection w/ a turbo

mhays26 said:
OK, that was my fault then. I seen it before you edited it the first time. And had been at least a day since I read it. My fault.
This is an informative thread BTW

actually the only edit I did was to delete my repeated question of "before or after the intercooler".

I'll check in w/ the alkycontrol guys when they let me out of the great cereal bowl.

Captainmorg said:
actually the only edit I did was to delete my repeated question of "before or after the intercooler".

Yeah, that was the question I was referring to on my post

Captainmorg said:
This is semantics I assure you. There are three methods for heat to be transferred: conduction, convection, and radiation. For it to simply absorb heat it would have to be at a lower temperature. When it does absorb heat (like when you poor alcohol on your arm) it will most likely and efficiently be done via conduction.

My understanding is that the cooling takes place because of Evaporation. The flashing of the Water/Methanol as it's injected into the heated air causes a cooling effect.

Example: Might not be a good one but.... On Cooling Towers 80% of the cooling effect is a direct result of the evaporation of water.. With the help of the fans pulling cool air into the tower and causing a vacuum, the pressure drop helps to flash some of the water returning to the tower into a vapor. The vaporized water begins to travel up the tower. This evaporated water as it travels upward makes contact with the water returning to the tower which pulls heat out of the water causing it to condense and drastically cool the return water. Then it falls into the basin and back to the unit it goes, and the cycle continues...

I believe the point here is that when the water/methanol evaporates it pulls heat out of the (boosted) air as does the water vapor pull heat out of the return water on a cooling tower.

I like the example of alcohol evaporating off your arm also, hence the cool feeling

and another one...

The body sweating, the sweat evaporating off the skin helps remove the heat...

Or, ever seen one of those water mist systems at an amusement park that cool you off as you walk through them... The air is much cooler inside one of those.. Same principal.. the mist of water pulls the heat out of the air.

Hope this helps and makes sense...

Last edited:
From what I understand, very little evaporation and heat reduction (per IAT readings) takes place in the actual intake stream. It's mostly in the combustion chamber due to the latent heat of vaporization of the water and alcohol. The alcohol provides an octane boost, the water absorbs heat. It all shows up as cooler EGTs.

I agree although it would START at first atomization of the water/methanol in the intake stream and then really take place once it entered the hot combustion chamber and vaporized...

Good Point!!!

Like you said the methanol also serves the purpose of increasing octane...

Back