Tech: How To Fix Window Motor Gear Slippage

I did this repair about a month ago. I bought the little plastic plugs Russ mentioned above and had to shave them with a utility knife to get them to fit, but I'm happy with them.

I did the 1/4" nut repair on mine a few years ago. They use rubber inserts for a reason. Without them there the shock of the window hitting full up or full down has to be absorbed by something else. In my case, it destroyed the plastic gear the inserts ride in. Not a good long term solution if you use your window a lot.

I did the 1/4" nut repair on mine a few years ago. They use rubber inserts for a reason. Without them there the shock of the window hitting full up or full down has to be absorbed by something else. In my case, it destroyed the plastic gear the inserts ride in. Not a good long term solution if you use your window a lot.
In my situation the window would get in a bind and stay up or down. I went with the bushings and haven't had a problem since.

I'm not sure the nylon plugs can prevent that shock. They're solid and fit tight after I shaved them, but I wondered the same thing about shock absorption. Obviously Ford did it that way for a reason. I'm curious what the O.E. pieces look like before they disintegrate.

They aren't supposed to be nylon, it's more of a very dense rubber. The rubber deteriorates as it sits on the shelf and turns much harder. I found that out after I bought a set of replacements and installed them only to have them fall apart after a month. They were hard as a rock and had obviously been on the shelf for years. The second set I got were what they had ordered to replace the first on the shelf and they were much more pliable. They were definitely smoother in operation.

They aren't supposed to be nylon, it's more of a very dense rubber. The rubber deteriorates as it sits on the shelf and turns much harder. I found that out after I bought a set of replacements and installed them only to have them fall apart after a month. They were hard as a rock and had obviously been on the shelf for years. The second set I got were what they had ordered to replace the first on the shelf and they were much more pliable. They were definitely smoother in operation.

Ah, I see.

Just replaced mine today. Knew I was going to have to soon, but was forced to when my window wouldn't come up after getting off my shift at work. This article is great! I used the poly bushings by Doorman.

Old thread but thank you! Adding this to the growing list of little fixes.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Here it is 2019 and I just had to make this repair for the first time on my 1994 F150. The holes had never been drilled, so first time anyone has been in there. Your repair worked like a charm. I had the nuts in my junk box and just used Permatex sealant to help hold the tiny motor screws (bolts) on the socket. I didn't drop them thank goodness. Thank you so much for the instructions and pictures. The truck lives on.

Back