Tech: How To Fix Window Motor Gear Slippage

Ghost

Jason Welch
If your window motor gears are slipping and making your window hard to roll up then this is for you. There are three plastic spacers that hold your window gears in place and after time they break apart and get chewed up by the gears and it lets your gears move out of position causing the slipping.

First you need to tape the window up so it won't fall on you:
DSCF0073.JPG

Next remove the door panel and the switches from the door panel.
DSCF0070.JPG

Next, after removing the weather barrier you'll need to drill some holes using a 1/2 inch bit. You'll need to drill in the "dimples" as seen here:
DSCF0071.JPG

And here:
DSCF0072.JPG

Next you can bend the door panel a little here to make it easier to get to the third bolt:
DSCF0074.JPG

Remove the tree bolts to the motor and remove...TRY NOT TO DROP ANY OF THE BOLTS...YOU MAY WANT TO HAVE A MAGNET HANDY TO GET THEM FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE DOOR....ASK ME HOW I KNOW:pat:
DSCF0075.JPG

Remove the screw from the cover plate and on the back side the plate is kind of krimped to the housing in a couple of places so you'll need to bend those places out to get plate off.
DSCF0077.JPG

Once the plate is off you'll probably find what's left of the stock plastic spacers....looks something like this:
DSCF0078.JPG

Go ahead and take the C-clip off so the gear will come off and clean out all of the trash:
DSCF0079.JPG

Next you can either pay $30ish and put the Ford replacement pieces back in OR you can put nuts that measure 7/16 o.d. back in....you'll need 6 total if you double stack them. You'll have to work with them a little to get them all worked in and seated but it's not hard to do:
DSCF0080.JPG

Next don't forget to put the C-clip back on!!!

Go ahead and put it all back together....you know what to do.

Hope this helps!!!:eek:ldtu:

Well done! :bigtu: I could of used these pictures a couple of months ago when i needed to take my motor out. These will def. help someone out.

New

Hi!

First time in this forum so I look forward to learn from you all!

1995 Ford Bronco 5.8 XLT
block lift to 4"
k&N air intake

It's basic and I am slowly putting some new stuff on as I make more money

P

I did this today and It went just as you stated! The pictures and the instructions were perfect. It was really a snap due to your help. Thanks!

My Gen 2 2001 Lightning passenger's side window started sticking once the weather got a bit cooler. Does this sound like the same problem? Also, this is a great How-To, but could you show and explain the actual removal of the door panel?

Great tech article! I just went to do it, and I already had a new motor, so I just replaced the whole thing. I will however, rebuild it using your article and set it aside for next time!

A few (hopefully) helpful hints for those about to attempt this:

1.) Don't bend in the door to get that one bolt if you don't have to. If you have the Craftsman swivel-head ratcheting box-end wrench, it's actually real easy to get to. If not, you can probably get in there still with a regular box end wrench.

2.) All 3 of the bolts for the motor are 8mm.

3. When taking the bolts out with your socket wrench, or putting them back in, put a dab of axle grease on the head of the bolt or the tip of the socket. This will "stick" the bolt into the socket, keeping it from falling down into the door.:eek:ldtu:

Thanks again for the tech article!:eek:ldtu:

Back