Tech: How To Fix Window Motor Gear Slippage

Window fix

If you want to make a little smoother working fix,call 800-220-4242 and ask for a catalog the company is called Small Parts,Inc.They have 3\8'" ball bearings in delrin or steel they both will work,they aren't as cheap as nuts but they are smoother if you pack the thing with a good grease.

i would of never guessed this was the fix to my window not going up, i would have though it was the bar that raises it was worn.

tried it out today, and everything went fine. Thanks Ghost.

Great 'how to' Ghost. Went just as described even dropping a bolt or two.

Well spent .39 at Ace hardware for the 6 7/16" nuts and an hour of my time.

Great How-To. I did this on my 94 yesterday and it worked just like you said. The only difference was I used nylon nuts instead of steel. The window operates like new. Thanks for great help.

thanks for this write up! I was able to use it since i went ahead and just replaced the motors (autozone has life time warranty ) themselves instead.

and the tip with using the axle grease was very helpful in not dropping the bolts into the door lol.

Wow I had no Idea that this was a problem on our trucks......unitl 3 days ago LOL now my window is stuck in the "down" position and wont go up. It sounds like the gears of the motor arent grabbing like they are supposed to. I hope this fixes it!

I have done this to both my L doors and the ones on our 95 F150 as well.
It is real simple and a good mostly permanent fix in lieu of the plastic gears

Thank you

Your good pics and step by step advice allowed me to fix my drivers side window for a grand total of 48 CENTS and about an hour and a half of my time WELL SPENT. I also became a member because of it. Thanks again!!! Thephoneguy

Just had to do my son's 93- glad I remembered the 5yr old thread. Piece of cake with the how to- Thanks Ghost

Post #16 said there was a repair kit. I did a search, and the parts stores sell a kit with a new plastic gear and 3 spacers (gear plugs) for about $20, or just the 3 spacers for $8.

The local O’Reilly’s had them in stock. It’s been proven that the nuts work, but I felt more comfortable installing parts designed for the purpose...but that’s me.

The nuts will make the window go up and down faster lol.... atleast compared to my plastic ones on my passenger window. This is also a good write up for simply replacing the motor as well if need be.

Great write up here:

I just used it last night, bought the little HELP parts listed above from O'Reily. I did have to sand them down some to decrease the height of them so I could get the washer installed correctly though. I did not pay particular attention to how the window motor was in the door which took some figuring out when going back together.

Of note: I think this job "could" be done without the drilling of the access holes, however it would take a lot of patience and add a lot of time to the job which is enough of a pain.

Tackled this job today, it went pretty smooth.. I was hesitant at drilling my door to access the screws but after about 10 minutes of frustration, I pulled the drill out! Sooo muc easier..

Here are some pics and some tips in case you loose the snap ring like I did..

Nuts in, and ready to reassemble, you can see all the broken plastic in the back
ccbdf1b7cfd51da19e9c60c64da80303.jpg

In case you happen to loose this little sucker like I did.. Here is the proper size replacement chances are your stock one is old and a little worn and may not even slip back as snugg as it should..
ee6ad5a44c63ee417bc7ac47da72c201.jpg

465ffbb94e35a2cbd78348aa631f130f.jpg

Back