Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

14.8 mpg for the trip, including all the idling and track time. Not too shabby!

More on the white truck later.

If my daughter hadn't broken into tears when I suggested it, I would seriously consider that black and silver motif for the whole truck....

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
14.8 mpg for the trip, including all the idling and track time. Not too shabby!

More on the white truck later.

If my daughter hadn't broken into tears when I suggested it, I would seriously consider that black and silver motif for the whole truck....

She's probably the future owner of it so don't make her sad :)

Best I can do as a comparison for now.
61dc579f9f5162da3fa226f5059a2816.jpg

3c4492f7141a99e698e2b22bba9aa0d7.jpg

I thought I'd hate 20's on a Gen 1, but your truck looks great. The 20's look much more modern, keeping truck a bit more current. Why did you only go 255's in the front, and not 275's? What brand wheels are those, did you have to have them drilled?

Just no clearance for the 275s as low as the truck is. I've partially rolled the fenders and moved the liner up, and it still rubs occasionally. I'm going to raise the front a little.

They're the staggered LMR/SVE wheels.

b55bbd9d19f6b61316b6e77173b3c137.jpg

was unware you bought a second. That is a great comparison. any details on the truck?

The PIMPXS has been a great leap for our trucks. Having modern control over these old but "modern" setups is great. Mine is giving me a little fuss at the moment with a random loss of sync issue but I'm unsure its directly related to the computer as it seems like maybe a distributor or similar issue.
Actually the sync issue can be related to your distributor. Are you using OEM or aftermarket. Stinger says the best dizzy to run is OEM.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

How I spent the weekend. Cleaning, new water pump and new front and top gaskets. I had already changed the valve seals, so had cleaned up the valve covers then. It smoked bad when I got it, but compression and leak down were both great, so I figured it was valve seals instead of the oil rings.

27 years of goop on the front of the motor. Valve covers were loose and the intake gaskets leaked pretty good.

Truck has about 270k miles on it. No rust on the underside, but had to fix a pretty good hole under the cowl and another where that hole had leaked into the cabin. Lots of clean up.

Couple of rust through spots inside the bed because the the mopped-in bedliner. I'll fix those with pieces from the banged up red truck bed. It also needs a core support at some point, but I'll put that off for a bit.

Truck is salvage title because of a pretty minor front end hit. Needs a new bumper and valence, which will go on next week. A lot of issues to fix, like the abs module being crazy and the airbag not working. Had the airbag light taped over and the cel light removed when I got it, which I didn't realize until it got home.

I put the oem wheels and basically new tires that I had from the red truck on it, plus the Bassani exhaust that I had in storage. Reworked a set of MSD wires I had on the shelf and made them "custom length". Had a hard bed cover sitting in the garage also, and put that on it. I'll eventually lower it with Eibach springs and some shackles.

New sensors, new fluids throughout, etc. Lots of interior pieces were broken. So I'll probably put another 3 to 4 grand in it (including the value of the stuff I had laying around) to get it to meet my level of particularity.

88bfc58ca21e1df4b6b8a1089529feb2.jpg

902162f593e58e51b372bd7e827040c2.jpg

834ab72c8938cecda8712b75421e03dc.jpg

a4ab2e017244586c995ee2534cd70f4f.jpg

Currently chasing EEC code 173, which is max lean at part throttle. I believe there's a vacuum leak in the emissions hardware somewhere because it's intermittent, so I think when one of the solenoids switches, it's creating a leak. I think this is also causing an intermittent, random surge at idle in gear.

I've become so spoiled with both the PxS in my red truck and the HP Tuners stuff in my car, both with the ability to do real time logging when something isn't just right, that it feels like I'm throwing darts trying to trace this problem.

intermittent vac leak and surge could be the hose going to the purge carbon canister. hose likes to rot off where it plugs to the canister at the lower passenger side engine compartment at the front. or check the emissions vacuum solenoids on the driver's side at the rear of the intake with a hand held vacuum pump. can also use a homemade smoke generator to find rotted hoses/leaks everywhere under the hood at once. when i bought my truck years ago all these places were leaking along with the egr diaphragm. smoke generator will find them all quickly, great tool. it worked for me.

I'd replaced the plumbing to the vapor canister when I had it apart.

Turns out it was the the 90 degree formed hose at the map. I replaced the map line with the piece that I had off stored from my red truck, but apparently I didn't push the 90 onto the hard plastic piece far enough.

All happy now. No CEL.

It's going into the body shop Monday to get the bumper done, the driver's door aligned properly, and the skid plate is kinda warped a little, so hopefully they can flatten that, too.

Think I'll dub my trucks Wanda and Zatanna.

Seems to be in the O2 sensor wiring. That oughta be fun to track down. Wonder if there is any connection to the airbag ground fault since they're in the same wiring bundle?

They're comic book characters.

Wanda = Scarlet Witch
Zatanna = White Witch

Back