Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

I actually like it, too, especially without the pin stripes and XLT trim. But my daughter was near tears when I told her I'd need to get it painted. She thought I meant get the red part painted to match the bed. So, it'll be going back red.

Present to myself since I had to miss Spookfest. That OT had to be worth something.

From LMR.

13c65464e35f95c6f9245f72d0a2fbb8.jpg
bd1aa30e5d0f048c050304639aa5de3a.jpg

Last edited:
Man thats good. Really ties the stance together. Those 03/04s are really the best look on gen1s. what tire size?

I thought so, too. I was a bit concerned that it would look kind of "donkish" on the 20s, but I'm really happy with the way it looks. I'll take the overload spring off in the rear, which will get it about a 1/2" lower, and that should be the end of it.

The fronts are 255/45R20 on 20x9s, rears are 305/35R20 on 20x10s. Could've gone 315 in the rear.

That looks good Jeff!
I see the new hood peeking up over the fender. Tell me about that part. Simple bolt on? Lots of adjusting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OH and for all you members out there! I had the pleasure of sitting shotgun in the FMOS truck! What a blast!! Awesome L!

Thanks guys! I had intended to get the 18s, but the addition of the 20x10s and Billy's evil influence, plus the HUGE range of tire sizes for the 20s over the 18s made me go this route.

Gary, the overall fitment of the hood is good. It requires some trimming and massaging after shipping and it definitely needs some pretty solid prep. I reinforced both sides of the latch with "U" shaped metal pieces that go on both sides of the glass, plus added the stock pop up spring, along with Redline gas struts instead of the clockwork springs. However, even reinforced like that, the hood vibrates and flutters like a chihuahua on speed when going down the highway. Pins are "recommended" by the manufacturer, but in my current opinion, they're absolutely necessary - I had some full-blown anxiety moments driving it over to Mike's! I'll be going back to the OEM hood until all of the body work alignment is done by a professional.

Right now my intention on the hood is red on the sides and black down the center, carrying down and around the grille. Then a pinstripe of Lightning logo blue where the colors meet.

Thanks guys! I had intended to get the 18s, but the addition of the 20x10s and Billy's evil influence, plus the HUGE range of tire sizes for the 20s over the 18s made me go this route.

Gary, the overall fitment of the hood is good. It requires some trimming and massaging after shipping and it definitely needs some pretty solid prep. I reinforced both sides of the latch with "U" shaped metal pieces that go on both sides of the glass, plus added the stock pop up spring, along with Redline gas struts instead of the clockwork springs. However, even reinforced like that, the hood vibrates and flutters like a chihuahua on speed when going down the highway. Pins are "recommended" by the manufacturer, but in my current opinion, they're absolutely necessary - I had some full-blown anxiety moments driving it over to Mike's! I'll be going back to the OEM hood until all of the body work alignment is done by a professional.

Right now my intention on the hood is red on the sides and black down the center, carrying down and around the grille. Then a pinstripe of Lightning logo blue where the colors meet.

I was fully set on 18's for like a week and the more I see 20s the more I don't think 18's work anymore. Great choice. I'm definitely jealous. how was fitting them on a gen 1? What is your opinion of the weight?

I love these pins! I had total anxiety though cutting into my Mach 1''s hood! haha!

w563liZ.jpg

in80dOJ.jpg

Lutwdje.jpg

4TCCCFs.jpg

Best I can do as a comparison for now.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210428/61dc579f9f5162da3fa226f5059a2816.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210428/3c4492f7141a99e698e2b22bba9aa0d7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Looks like a deployed airbag in the bed! haha! Man! Good looking truck in both wheel setups!

If you follow the classified's section, you may have noticed I've picked up a basically stock white '94 with 170k miles on it. The '94 was a little frayed around the edges and smoked pretty badly, so I've put a lot of elbow grease into it to get it right and I've been driving it pretty exclusively for the past week, but much nicer weather today and having the water pump on the '94 start peeing all over the pavement yesterday prompted me to drive the '95 (the red truck).

The two biggest things that struck me (beyond having roughly 3x the power) was how quiet and smooth the engine is, and how happy I am with the transmission behavior, both of those things are partially because of the hardware evolution I've gone through over the past 25 years, but another big piece of the puzzle has been the PiMPxShift and its control of both the engine and the transmission. Idle is exactly what I want, mileage is fantastic for what it is (I'll post what I got during my jaunt to and from Charlotte when I fill up this afternoon), and the transmission shifts just where I want it to, up and down, based on throttle position and speed.

It's really a joy to drive, no particular negatives that I can find in the combo for a 25 year old piece of hardware.

Now I'll spend the long weekend pulling the front of the engine and the intake off the '94 to clean, fix leaks, and replace the water pump and thermostat. Keeps me out of trouble!

was unware you bought a second. That is a great comparison. any details on the truck?

The PIMPXS has been a great leap for our trucks. Having modern control over these old but "modern" setups is great. Mine is giving me a little fuss at the moment with a random loss of sync issue but I'm unsure its directly related to the computer as it seems like maybe a distributor or similar issue.

Back