Sal !!!!!!!

How about whoever wants to run in street runs et racing on a sportsman tree, and whoever wants to run pro run heads up racing on a pro-tree...
My 1 1/2 cent
Frank Likert
93 black #4817

Fast Flareside,

I believe the rules have always read that in order to run in the Lightning classes, you have to have a Lightning VIN number. I don't think just having a Lightning engine will get you in.

I think last years numbers are more realistic for this years event.12.50 and lower pro,12.51 and higher street.Lets face it we have 10 guys running sub12's and about 2 dozen running 12.50 or better,the times will fall off a few tenths but more trucks will qualify for pro this year;.Both classes should run a sportsman tree,i think last year we were running a 4.0 tree,worked well.
JMHO
Jerry

Jerry, that's based on everyone who has a truck posted in that time range here on this message board showing up for the event...

I certainly hope to do my part to flesh out the Pro class!
smile.gif

I guess it all comes down to how many trucks Sal wants in the Pro class and how many in street. The lower the cutoff, the more skewed the class attendance will be.

[This message has been edited by FMOS Racing (edited 12-05-2001).]

LEts keep some perspective here. There is more to life than gen2's!! Sure a 2001 with "basic" boltons will run in the 12's with a good driver and track, but what about the Gen1 guys? We didnt start with a truck that runs 13.8's, we started with trucks running 15.2 - 15.5!! It is a lot of work and money to get a gen1 into the low 13's or 12's (for the most part...). I still see alot of 14 second gen1's and even 13 second gen1's. Street needs to be sportsman racing and sportsman racing is run on a sportsman tree, its only fair for the class considering alot of the racers are inexperienced or just dont want to go to the track alot to get the practice on a pro tree. Is it really that cool to see a 15 second gen1 go up against a 12.50 gen2???

I agree with Jeffs origianl idea with the following exception:
Pro 12.50 and faster
Street 13.00 and slower
trucks running 12.50 - 12.99 should have a choice

Not that I want to divide owners, as we are all in the same "family" but what about running a gen1 and a gen2 class? No pro or street, all run on a .400 tree, Sportsman style? Then the 2 winners race each other for the overall title of Lightning Champ? Just a wacky thought.......
biggrin.gif

------------------
Chuck P
1993#3951 (24k miles, mod'ed and lots of custom parts)
NLOC#138
NLOC Michigan area Regional Representative
MiLOC#10
my-L_fr_3-4_view-small.jpg

00 Focus ZX3
99 GT conv
91 GT (race/show car- in hibernation)

I gotta agree with Chuck on this but wouldnt be great to give those Gen 2's a 1/2 second head start and reel them in in the end, lol

------------------
94 Crimson #2826
Born May 6, 1994
NLOC member #343
Team Powerdyne,
13.49@ 102mph
Wanting 12's
Home page: http://www.topworldmusic.com/greased/
SU25449.jpg

Who says we couldn't do that
biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sstock:
I gotta agree with Chuck on this but wouldnt be great to give those Gen 2's a 1/2 second head start and reel them in in the end, lol

</font>

------------------
Thanks,
Raymond
Performance Specialties
01 Cobra
95 Lightning (lots O' mods faster than the Cobra)

Doesnt sound too far fetched to me, either.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Rod K.

'93 Lightning #1529 NLOC #675
13.27 @ 101.55 Au Natural
12.67 @ 102.52 Kinda juiced..
'98 SVT Contour E1 #5782
'00 Suzuki Bandit S1200 10s??
usf26.gif

You guys are being far too genteel with only a half-second spot.
wink.gif

I'd better shut up. If my vehicular luck doesn't change, I'll be racing a rental in a bracket class.

FWIW, I only argue for what I think is best for both the classes and all the drivers. If my truck is there I'll be running in Pro so the rest of the discussion is simply academic and not for my own self-interest. It benefits me to have fewer Pro trucks because it'll put me in the money without ever winning a round.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by FMOS Racing (edited 12-06-2001).]

Hey guys. As you know, every year I like to "poll" the masses and get everyone's thoughts on the rules, so I can make any needed changes. I have been letting this thread go and reading the responses along the way.

What I have decided is to keep the rules the same as last year, with one minor change. These are the rules:

Pro Lightning

"All-run field. Open Comp format. Handicapped, Pro-Tree (.400) start for Ford Lightning trucks running 12.50 or quicker only. Drivers will make three qualifying passes. The quickest ET from the qualifying runs will be a racer's competition index throughout eliminations. A one-tenth breakout (1/10th) allowance is permitted in each round. Deep staging permitted."

I decided to keep the cutoff at 12.50, because it's already been proved that many trucks can go faster than that. At WFC4, the trucks had not really been to that level. But they keep getting faster, and by WFC5, there should be TONs of Gen 1s and Gen 2 capable of faster than 12.50.

Street Lightning

"All-run field. Open Comp format. Handicapped, Sportsman (Full)-Tree (.400) start for Ford Lightning trucks only, running 11.60 and slower. Drivers will make three qualifying passes. The quickest ET from the qualifying runs will be a racer's competition index throughout eliminations. A one-tenth breakout (1/10th) allowance is permitted in each round. Deep staging permitted."

For Street Lightning, I lowered the ET to 11.50. Since your ET is 1/10 faster than your best qualifying pass, the rules say 11.60 to allow the drop to 11.50. The reason for the ET "overlap" is because many Lightning owners are not hard core racers. Many guys can't run on a pro tree. So we overlap the ETs, this way a guy can choose his tree. A Pro tree is harder, so naturally Pro Lightning will have a higher payout. For the guys who know they can't compete on a Pro tree, they can run a sportsman tree, which is easier, for a lower payout in Street Lightning.

I do want to change the Street Lightning tree to a .500 light, because a .400 sportsmans tree is just stupid. I know not everyone will like the rules, just as everyone has different ideas for them every year. But as the sponsor of the classes, my job is to be able to please the majority of the participants, and in my opinion, these rules will give every racer a chance to win, and have fun.

Please feel free to continue the input.

------------------
SAL- Power Surge Performance
www.powersurgeperformance.net
01 Lightning
99 Lightning
95 Lighnting
91 SHO Plus (can't drive Lightnings every day)
sal.gif

Sal how fast can you run without a roll bar ?

Jerry

------------------
Black 94 #555
NLOC #692
Team Powerdyne
12.20@110.5
412.5 rwhp
500 rwtq
Still Speed Density with a EEC Tuner
launch.jpg

mailto:gjls@home.comgjls@home.com</A>

Sal,
Is there going to be unlimited spots for the classes or will there only be so many that can race in each class?

------------------
Justin DiPalma
NLOC # 555
Black 94 #437
Power Dyned,
13.703 @ 100.38 MPH

[This message has been edited by 94SVT437 (edited 12-07-2001).]

Justin, both classes are an "all run field" which means all entries of the class race.

Jerry, 12.00 is the fastest with no roll bar. WFC uses NHRA rules.

------------------
01 Lightning
99 Lightning
95 Lighnting
sal.gif

I'll go out on a limb and "predict" that because of the weather differences between now and May in St Louis and the 11.99 NHRA safety equipment requirements, Pro will have 8-10 trucks this year based on the 12.50 cutoff.

Double last year.
wink.gif

I think there will be way more than that Jeff. When I made these rules for last year, there were a handfull of trucks that were on the 12.50 boarder and I assumed they would only be faster by the WFC. The summer air slowed them down, and they could not make the class.

However, time has passed and the trucks are even faster than before. There were MANY trucks running way under 12.50 towards the end of the summer, most of them in the 12.0-12.4 range. The trucks are only going to get faster from there (especially with our new high output Gen 2 blower kit
wink.gif
) and by WFC time next year, if we leave the cutoff at 12.50, there should be plenty of trucks to make the class. If there are trucks that run 11s and have no cage, they will have to slow it down, but can still run between 12.0 and 12.5, thus still allowing them to compete in Pro.

------------------
01 Lightning
99 Lightning
95 Lighnting
sal.gif

Back