Relocated Oil Filter

Mr Gadget's setup, yes. The others, no. The stock oil-to-water cooler is a big cast housing that goes between the engine and the filter. The lower radiator hose has a circuit that feeds radiator fluid to the cooler, which is a finned thing inside that housing. A screw-on adapter leaves that housing in place.

You could use an external cooler any time you are running external hoses, and you could disconnect the stock cooler by replacing the lower radiator hose with a standard F150 one without the extra loop for the Lightning oil cooler. But that would leave that housing just sitting there for no reason. Mr. Gadget's is definitely the way to go if you want to replace the stock cooler.

FYI, for anyone who wants to delete the stock oil/water cooler, you have to use a motor mount on the driver's side from an F-150 without the oil cooler.

If anybody wants to add a oil cooler off the L onto a F-150 that doesn't have one I have everything needed. 100 bucks

Wayne

Thought I'd bring this back up to show what I'm doing. I went with the factory pieces. New motor mount, lower radiator hose and the non-cooler oil filter adapter like this:
picture0071pe.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Then got the Trans-Dapt relocation kit:
trd-1127_w.jpg

along with some -8 90 MALE TO FEMALE SWIVELS:
ear-921108erl_w_m.jpg

This will let me run the larger FL-1A filter. Probably mount it to the frame wherever the hoses will allow.

What do you think?

No doubt Tim and Mistergadget's systems are top notch but I transplanted a 460 into a 78 4x4 f-150 P/U that originally had a 302. The guy brought me an adapter kit from L&L Products. Pretty nice kit, nothing cast, all billet T-6061 and hoses were quality as well. Granted, that's a pushrod motor but the pieces and the hoses were top notch IMO. I just looked at their site and they list the hose adapters and hoses seperately...might be something as an option. The Maximum Motorsports pieces look to be of the same quality. Good luck and post up some pictures when you decide on which system you go with.

Back