Relocated Oil Filter

I did a complete relocate and external oil cooler on my truck. The filter mount was $25, the -10 AN lines and fittings were about $170, the manifold adapter on the block was $180, and the oil cooler was around $60.

Remote oil filter on driver's side, Oil Cooler

DSCN0700.JPG

DSCN0689.JPG

Oil/water manifold adapter on the block

DSCN0692.JPG

Lines going thru engine bay

DSCN0698.JPG

Very nice Mr.G. I like the idea of using a larger filter. It's to bad that the adapter on the block is so expensive. Don't they make a spin-on adapter with the 2 threaded holes in it ?

Very nice Mr.G. I like the idea of using a larger filter. It's to bad that the adapter on the block is so expensive. Don't they make a spin-on adapter with the 2 threaded holes in it ?

Yes, they do, you can use that just as easily, but I wanted to get rid of the bulky oil/water manifold on the block.

There may be a "kit" out there, but I don't know of any with top-quality parts. The "kits" will likely have thin cast adapters and rubber hoses with worm clamps. I would just leave it alone rather than go that route.

Maximum Motorsports has a great oil filter relocate kit. I realize it is for a Cobra but my Terminator and Lightning take the same oil filters, so, this should work for our Lightnings as well.

Maximum Motorsports Part #OC-7 $320.

The lines are probably the only thing that wouldn't work since they are pre-cut for their specific application. Who knows...

Tim Skelton - Is it possible for you to "build" me a system? Like tell me what i would need if i went this route, i dont need the setup you have just a remote mount is all im really looking for.

Wayne

Ok, i think i pieced it together. What do you think

UNIV 90 DEGREE ROTATING REMOTE FILTER ADAPTER 22MM 22-598 $70 (This attaches to the motor)
22595_2int.jpg

And

SBF REMOTE OIL FILTER MOUNT Accepts Ford Type Spin-on Filters 22-625 $105
22625_2int.jpg

Some of these and hose?
trd-2272_w_m.jpg

Maximum Motorsports has a great oil filter relocate kit. I realize it is for a Cobra but my Terminator and Lightning take the same oil filters, so, this should work for our Lightnings as well.

Maximum Motorsports Part #OC-7 $320.

The lines are probably the only thing that wouldn't work since they are pre-cut for their specific application. Who knows...
Your cobra takes a FL820S filter? Does a FL820S filter screw to the adapter?

Wayne

Last edited:
That setup looks fine, but I am not confident in regular rubber hose. If you use it, use double clamps, and don't tighten them down too hard.

For the filter, the part #'s on my setup will work. You want the largest 3/4-16 threaded filter you can find.

UNIV 90 DEGREE ROTATING REMOTE FILTER ADAPTER 22MM 22-598 $70 (This attaches to the motor)
22595_2int.jpg

And

22625_2int.jpg

Some of these and hose?
trd-2272_w_m.jpg

Wayne

The adapters look great, but I would use nylon braided push-lok hose and fittings, it's easy to work with, lighter, and cheaper than braided stainless.

fra8000_hose_thumb.jpg

A-N Fittings & Adapters | RacePartSolutions.com

edit: BTW those are cheaper from summit

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CTR-22-598&N=700+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CTR-22-625&N=700+115&autoview=sku (picture if wrong but same p/n)

Last edited:

22595_2int.jpg

And

22625_2int.jpg

Some of these and hose?
trd-2272_w_m.jpg

Wayne

I don't actually have the kit, I just know it exists. They offer several different kits. I know that their adapter will screw into the stock location but I'm not sure if they intend for a different filter at the remote location. Their pictures show a Ford Racing FL-1HP which I'm not sure if that fits on our particular vehicles stock. Who knows...You asked about a kit, you can't go wrong with Maximum's extensive R&D.

I am still doing research but I may end uo going with the Ford Racing kit. Which ever I do I still want to run my FL820S filter!

Which that being said do i need a 3/4-16 or 22mm-1.5? I found canton has a nice setup but is says that its a Thread Size: 20mm x 1.5 but at the bottom has Notes: This kits uses 3/4-16 in. thread spin-on filter. So what the hell is it, i want to use whatever a FL820S filter is!

Wayne

Last edited:
I am still doing research but I may end uo going with the Ford Racing kit. Which ever I do I still want to run my FL820S filter!

Which that being said do i need a 3/4-16 or 22mm-1.5? I found canton has a nice setup but is says that its a Thread Size: 20mm x 1.5 but at the bottom has Notes: This kits uses 3/4-16 in. thread spin-on filter. So what the hell is it, i want to use whatever a FL820S filter is!

Wayne

Why do you still want to use an 820s? These kits allow you to switch to a 3/4-16 filter thread that has a bigger selection of better filters, I use an FL-1A now, it's much larger than the fl820

Would these parts you are showing allow you to ditch the oil cooler thats already there?

Mr Gadget's setup, yes. The others, no. The stock oil-to-water cooler is a big cast housing that goes between the engine and the filter. The lower radiator hose has a circuit that feeds radiator fluid to the cooler, which is a finned thing inside that housing. A screw-on adapter leaves that housing in place.

You could use an external cooler any time you are running external hoses, and you could disconnect the stock cooler by replacing the lower radiator hose with a standard F150 one without the extra loop for the Lightning oil cooler. But that would leave that housing just sitting there for no reason. Mr. Gadget's is definitely the way to go if you want to replace the stock cooler.

Back