Rear locker?

I use my truck to autocross, but also to drag race. I'd like to put some sort of locker/posi in the rear end, but I'd still like to turn the truck without any problems. What is the nest choice for this dual purpose ...Eaton, Detroit etc.? Thanks

C-Locker is the same as the DL but you can still use your C clip axles.I have one in my truck and would not change it for anything.Stan

Stan could you explain a little more? what locker exactly are you runing? i have never heard of what your talking about. i was also wondering would you feel a differance in power that your getting to the rear wheels with a locker rather than posi track? I know alittle about lockers from 4wheeling but not much about lockers in racing and what not. thanks agian stan and the pan hard bar came. great workmanship. good luck this year in racing.

The c locker is the same as the detroit.But is not offered for the Lightning rear axle.The way it works is it is always appling power to atleast one wheel even in the turns.It is a rachet style diff. vs. the clutch ones that are offered for the 9.75.Way better, almost indestructable but can be a little fun on the ice.Stan

Auburn diff is a cone,similair to what dodge used in the 60s'.Works but is NOT rebuildable.I know that on my truck when I road race it if I spin the inside tire very hard I am putting clutches in it.With the locker IF you spin the tire you are spinning out! stan
Auburn and Ford are the only 2 available at this time for the Gen 2s.

I stand corrected The auburn now is a clutch type also.Just looked at one tha I have to install.

so stan are you saying there is no currant locker that does what your saying? i know what type of locker your talking aobut but there is none for the gen 2's do i understand that correctly? all i really kow aboutlockers and thats not much is in 4wheeling, " hey ingage the locker so that you can just crawl right over this overwelming rock just for $#!+'s and giggles." not say ing that ive never done this jsut hypotheticly speaking:D

there has got to be at least one for the 99-00 with the 8.8 rear end i would think. dont you have a 00 stan? jsut guessing.

Johnny 5 needs more input:D

I have a 99.If you convert to the 8.8 which you can its in the 6 cyl trucks then there is just about every type of diff available then.Stan

sorry stan dont really feal like doing that. but you would know more than any of us prolly but is any one thinking of or currantly building a locker for 01-02's????? i would like one that could be used in both autocrossing and dragracing. i think any locker would be great for those two things. i like to be prepared on the street cause there is no drag strip or track with in 8 hours of were i live and these damn chevys and what not need to be delt with on the street. thanks stan. ill be getting some more of your goodies soon. got to get the one installed first. later and stan please help im lost with out you:D :D :D :w

There is a lock rite that is suppose to be coming out with one here real soon.but I don't know if they can take the torque and abuse that we give these trucks.Stan

Do?

The problem with the stock trac-loc is that it is a friction operated diff.In that it uses the friction of the clutches to transmit power to the tires in a turn.But if you are getting good grip and are in a turn you will spin the inside tire because of the lack of weight[weight transfers out]And when you do that to many times you burn the clutches out of the diff.Then you have to rebuild it[I know have done mine4 times].The DL ,lock rite and the c/locker are racheting diffs so they are mechanial lock up or transfer of power to the tires.So at all times you have atleast one wheel with power.Like a spool,but different in that it will let you make turns with the inside tire having to slide.

OH and if you think adding another clutch to the pac, fixes or helps it does but you are binding the axle gears and spider gears[which is bad]plus it will still wear to the design limits of the system.Stan

Hmm... I spin an inside tire a bit autocrossing, guess I'll have to be looking to rebuild my clutches in the not-to-distant future.

How can you tell when they're bad?

Daniel

When you accel and you are leaving only one black mark or when the marks are not the same length.Stan

So, I've got a '93 w/8.8 rear end. I'm concluding from this thread that the c-locker, detroit locker and lockrite are the three good ones to get? Do any of the vendors on the board have any of these? Thanks for the info.

If your autocrossing wouldn't a torsen type diff work better for that application. I would think it would be a lot smoother and more controllable in the corners. It would make tighter corners easier to make since the diff wouldn't be totally locked.:confused:

Since the only thing I know about differentials is that they're in the back of the truck's drivetrain, I couldn't tell you. :)

Daniel

Been trying to read up on what a locker is... :)

Found out Eaton makes an off-road locker Eaton Torque Control. I also wonder if this is the limited-slip that is in our truck? Eaton LSD

Everything I read about lockers though is for off-road 4x4 applications...The only racing application I came across was this thing, which says its "better then a locker" : Black Gold torque bias gear driven differential

Though I did find out that Mark Martin's Ford NASCAR uses a detroit locker. :)
QUESTION: What kind of differential in the rear end of stock cars do NASCAR teams use? How many races is one good for, and what do you do with old differentials? -- Chuck Deitz, Orange, Calif.

ELLEDGE: We use a Detroit Locker and we run a 9-inch Ford rear end. We use a nodular iron case for the gears to be built in and a standard Detroit Locker. We'll change the springs in them and maybe de-burr and polish all the internal parts on the ratchet, but that's it.

Back