Next lightning

buckachow

Lightning Struck
I talked to a ford rep at the LA Auto show and he said that ford will release the concept design of the next lightning within 1.5 years. Depending on reaction he said ford will try to produce the following year.;k

Can't wait to see what they have been working on.

By the way he said they are still debating a v10 or large v8, but either way he said expect around 600 hp or more...supercharged of course :thumbup:

We can always hope. I would love to hear "Ford reclaims title fastest production truck"

Thats where the title belongs...with us

That could be cool, but I want another lightning more. Could make a new lightning and an svt explorer (maybe call it thunder????)

Come on, an AWD, 6 speed auto, 390hp s/c 4.6 in an Explorer that was built to destroy SRT8 Cherokees and Trailblazer SSes doesn't excite you?

Why not go ahead and hop-up a minivan to ? they need to stick with what they know and not spread SVT to thin

How is that spreading SVT thin? Most of us need the ability to haul 4 people in comfort. Plus, if it wasn't a popular section, how come Chevy and Jeep have sucessful trucks on the market?

Also, I guess you've never heard of the Ford SHOstar concept:

shostar.JPG

sho-windstar2.jpg

Windstar with an SHO V6. Anything can be done.

saleen had and explorer for a while it was called a XP5 i think. those were pretty sweet imo. i would love to see another lightning though.

charles

I guess anything is posssible, I'd never seen the SHOstar and wished i never had. What kind of GOOBER (putting it nicely)would be caught breathing in a minivan? Maybe a mom who needed to pick up the kids and go to Wal-Mart in a hurry. This is NOT Ford SVT,s demo group. middle ageish and younger men are. As my grandpa said "stay with the one who brought you to the dance" So SVT quit "whoring " the group out

Just one more thing, how many of your friends do you really want to haul around any way, tell them to get their own. I have 2 close friends that bought a L after i got mine because they seen how much fun mine was.

I guess anything is posssible, I'd never seen the SHOstar and wished i never had. What kind of GOOBER (putting it nicely)would be caught breathing in a minivan? Maybe a mom who needed to pick up the kids and go to Wal-Mart in a hurry. This is NOT Ford SVT,s demo group. middle ageish and younger men are. As my grandpa said "stay with the one who brought you to the dance" So SVT quit "whoring " the group out

moms arent the only ones who drive vans. im in the process of building this one right now. http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/almost-anything-goes/192112-van-project-56k-beware.html

and yes i know total redneck, but the L wont drive very well on the dunes and mud. lol

charles

You've totally missed my point. Some people need more than 2 seats and needs to throw stuff in a covered, waterproof trunk. My point is that the SVT Explorer makes a lot of sense right now, and its other proposed competitors (TBSS and GCSRT8) are doing extremely well sales-wise. Would I complain about a new Lightning? No. Would I be happier to buy an SVT Explorer? Yes.

I called SVT about 2 months ago and talked to one of their tech guys in the phone. He said they were working on a gen 3 lightning recently but ran into alot of problems. They had a motor 500hp+ and couldnt make the driveline strong enough. He said they used the rear and trans off of the F250/350 models but kept breaking rearends and transmissions. They might last a little while but werent reliable enough. The biggest issue was that the new style F150s were soo heavy with the beefed up frame that you needed 500 horse at a minimum just to keep it in line with our gen 2 lightnings. All this said and done it would have cost upwards of $45-50,000 and they didnt think the market would buy it. He said they had a few other truck projects in the works not named lightning that they were testing. I found this information interesting but really nothing new.

I called SVT about 2 months ago and talked to one of their tech guys in the phone. He said they were working on a gen 3 lightning recently but ran into alot of problems. They had a motor 500hp+ and couldnt make the driveline strong enough. He said they used the rear and trans off of the F250/350 models but kept breaking rearends and transmissions. They might last a little while but werent reliable enough. The biggest issue was that the new style F150s were soo heavy with the beefed up frame that you needed 500 horse at a minimum just to keep it in line with our gen 2 lightnings. All this said and done it would have cost upwards of $45-50,000 and they didnt think the market would buy it. He said they had a few other truck projects in the works not named lightning that they were testing. I found this information interesting but really nothing new.

What's their #?
I wouldn't mind having a lil chat with some of them and being in the loop.
The guy I talked to at the LA auto show was kinda vague. said maybe large V8 maybe V10. 500hp maybe 600hp maybe 650+ hp. It was like a guessing game, but none the less I am excited :grin1:

Yea I was pretty shocked as well when the tech told me what he knew. They usually act like they have no idea what is going on. Nothing we didnt really know but at least they confirmed certain things. I just don't see a new lightning coming out on that body style and weight. Unless gas prices stay down and people start spending again $40-50,000. I think its 800-FORD-SVT

I would think if GM could build a system to hold the ZR1's power that ford wouldn't have that hard of a time doing the same thing, but then again maybe the motor that ford was testing had an insane amount of torque.

Back