Need some opinions

Well nevermind guys... Turned dwell back up and misfiring again. Back to drawing board.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Who's IGN1a's are you running? DIY, Holley, ??

Also, and I know you're getting tired of me saying it, but please follow these instructions as far as wiring goes. Your pinout might be different, but it's the grounding scheme that's the main thing.

https://documents.holley.com/199r10698rev1.pdf

1691258117581.png

I have two sets of coils now. One is from stinger and the other is summit racing brand. And they are wires correctly now but still an issue. There may be something inside one or two of the wires that is compromising the system. I just can't visually see anything wrong. However, I put in an order with Jolt Systems to have a new harness made up. Would rather have peace of mind knowing I have a fresh harness in there. Plus, it is made from thicker gauge wiring and should be better.

I have two sets of coils now. One is from stinger and the other is summit racing brand. And they are wires correctly now but still an issue. There may be something inside one or two of the wires that is compromising the system. I just can't visually see anything wrong. However, I put in an order with Jolt Systems to have a new harness made up. Would rather have peace of mind knowing I have a fresh harness in there. Plus, it is made from thicker gauge wiring and should be better.

That's a nice harness!

Nice! Derek, you don’t think it could have anything to do with your crank sensor do you? We had a friends car that acted fine until it hit 3500rpm then acted crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Derek, you don’t think it could have anything to do with your crank sensor do you? We had a friends car that acted fine until it hit 3500rpm then acted crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it's a cam angle sensor and have asked them repeatedly if that could be the problem but they said it would show up in data logs as a loss of sync which the truck never does. Also the voltage loss at the coils is a big sign something is wrong.

That's a nice harness!

Yes it is. I called and talked to him Friday and it's definitely a nice piece.

Just an update that truck still has the higher rpm misfire issues even with the new harness. It basically goes away with lower dwell but comes right back when I put the dwell where it should be at. The saga continues.

Just an update that truck still has the higher rpm misfire issues even with the new harness. It basically goes away with lower dwell but comes right back when I put the dwell where it should be at. The saga continues.

Hmmm, define "should be at" :)

Hmmm, define "should be at" :)
Had it at at 4.5ms prior to all this without issue and now I need it at like 1.5ms to run mostly clean. I should be able to run 6-7ms without issues whatsoever.

Had it at at 4.5ms prior to all this without issue and now I need it at like 1.5ms to run mostly clean. I should be able to run 6-7ms without issues whatsoever.

What brand are you using? I just looked back at my emails with Matt Cramer from DIY Autotune, he recommended 3-3.5. Holley only recommends up to 5 with their "smart coils". Where are you getting your info to run so much dwell? My truck runs great on 3ms and 3.5 for starting.

1693791525890.png

What other settings are there besides dwell?

I was reading this but I do t fully understand all the settings they are talking about.

What brand are you using? I just looked back at my emails with Matt Cramer from DIY Autotune, he recommended 3-3.5. Holley only recommends up to 5 with their "smart coils". Where are you getting your info to run so much dwell? My truck runs great on 3ms and 3.5 for starting.

View attachment 104405
I was using the ones from stinger and I bought new summit racing coils to rule out coils being bad. I know that you can run up to 8ms for short periods of time but 4-4.5ms is perfectly fine. 3-3.5ms is perfectly fine as well. However, the more boost you run the longer dwell time will fire the coils with more energy. I was running 4.5ms just fine without issue. Now the truck will misfire badly at anything over 2ms of dwell.

So you’ve changed the harness (no difference) you’ve changed the coils (no difference) what else is left mechanically?

So you’ve changed the harness (no difference) you’ve changed the coils (no difference) what else is left mechanically?
I have also changed spark plugs and wires. Really the only thing left is the sensor within the cam angle sensor. However, stinger says that if it was bad I would have sync loss issues which I don't..going to try to test the 5v trigger wires on the coils with an oscilloscope... So now I need to learn how to use one lol.

how well is the engine/chassis grounded. stupid question but does it get worse with loads like headlights or electric fan on?

Are you running a knock sensor? If so, is there a way to bypass it? We used to see issues with LS engines with cheap underdrive pullies that would develop random harmonics in certain rpm ranges that pulled timing and caused misfires. Don't know that this could connect in any way to dwell unless at higher dwell settings are contributing to something.

how well is the engine/chassis grounded. stupid question but does it get worse with loads like headlights or electric fan on?
Went through every ground and it all seems good. Don't notice any difference with electrical loads.

Went through every ground and it all seems good. Don't notice any difference with electrical loads.

Hey Derek, do you have any way to log to an SD card vs logging to the laptop?

Back