Need some opinions

Hearing your description made me think of two things: point bounce and spark scatter. I think we can safely rule out the first one, and I can't remember the last time the second one came up. If the ignition is all the same as before, the distributor should be OK. But should is also one of my least favorite words lately. What about the oil pump and oil pump drive shaft? Anything new, different, or out of the ordinary with those? Do you have an old fashioned dwell meter you could hook up to a coil and check the dwell to see if it agrees with what you've set it to? Will an old school dwell meter even work with a CNP system? Does your EFI system require the cam sensor you've got to run, or could you drop a cheap distributor in just to see if it changes anything?
Yeah can't drop distributor in now as it won't fit with this intake. Not sure how to measure the dwell directly, will have to look into that.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Well it's not the coils... New set of coils didn't resolve anything. May have to pull harnesses off and inspect everything along with sending injectors off to get cleaned.

Doggonit man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know! I already pulled injectors out and got a local guy that is gonna clean/flow them tonight and give them back to me tomorrow so I can't pass that up. If they check out fine then I will pull everything else apart. At least I can check that off the list.

I know! I already pulled injectors out and got a local guy that is gonna clean/flow them tonight and give them back to me tomorrow so I can't pass that up. If they check out fine then I will pull everything else apart. At least I can check that off the list.

What's your fuel pressure?

At least they are easy to get to..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Injectors were perfectly fine. Problem persists... Just a high rpm miss and nothing else.

Derek, did you get it figured out?
Well not 100% yet. Did some extensive testing yesterday and it seems there is a problem somewhere in the coil harness on the "engine side" beyond the Deutsch connectors. Either a power or ground wire is compromised in there as it is causing voltage to drop to like 10 volts at the coils at high rpm. All other scenarios it's fine. I am going to take off the harness today and visually inspect all wires.

Well not 100% yet. Did some extensive testing yesterday and it seems there is a problem somewhere in the coil harness on the "engine side" beyond the Deutsch connectors. Either a power or ground wire is compromised in there as it is causing voltage to drop to like 10 volts at the coils at high rpm. All other scenarios it's fine. I am going to take off the harness today and visually inspect all wires.

Sounds like your starting to narrow it down. Stinger won’t replace the harness for you?

I think he said it's in the coil harness rather than the Stinger harness?
Yes on the coil harness which is made by a 3rd party and sold by stinger... I am going to actually try it one more time and move grounds again just to rule some things out. After un looming the harness and looking it over there shouldn't be a reason I got the results that I did so I am going put it back on, re-arrange the way I have my grounds again and see what happens.

How much current do your coils pull? You may be able to simulate them with a headlight to help narrow down the problem area. Just start with the power and ground to the headlight in known good areas and work them toward each other until the light dims.

dwell has a huge effect on the amp draw they pull. at 8ms (2-3000hp setups) they can draw as much as 22 amps each. it seems at the 3-4 dwell is more like 5-10 amps. which is still ridiculous. I purchased them for my 2jz but have yet to put them on strictly due to the amp draw they require.

still very odd that this combo worked before and doesn't now with the same harness but hope it solves it for you.

dwell has a huge effect on the amp draw they pull. at 8ms (2-3000hp setups) they can draw as much as 22 amps each. it seems at the 3-4 dwell is more like 5-10 amps. which is still ridiculous. I purchased them for my 2jz but have yet to put them on strictly due to the amp draw they require.

still very odd that this combo worked before and doesn't now with the same harness but hope it solves it for you.

I pinned mine at 3ms at DIYAutotune's recommendation. Let me look for some of my PDM logs, I have them in 2 banks of 4, but the amp draw was not bad, however I was making no boost and no HP :)

Think got most of it squared away today. After un looming the entire harness I noticed I had the battery ground going to firewall... There is a 4th pair of grounding wires that come out of expansion harness near where the coil harness connects and I mistakenly labeled this wire as the coil grounds when it wasn't. So, I put the expansion harness grounds on my fender, I put the the "head ground" to my lower intake via a stud, and put the appropriate battery ground to the right spot. I also changed dwell to 3 ms and spark duration to 1.5 ms. Did 2 WOT runs to 6900 rpm and only had one small misfire event which is far and away better than before. I also spoke to a guy who custom makes ign1a harnesses and he said it would be best to eliminate my jumper wire that goes from block to battery negative as in some instances can create an issue as it turns into a grounding loop. I think I'm on right path and intend to put dwell back up a little bit and retry. The guy who builds those harnesses says the most amps he has seen pulled is between 30-35 amps at like 7ms dwell. Gotta remember they aren't all pulling amperage at same time. There is a good chance I will upgrade my harness at some point and give him a try.

Well nevermind guys... Turned dwell back up and misfiring again. Back to drawing board.

Back