Name that noise

Travis017

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
Been slowly putting parts on my 95 in preparation for a v1 supercharger. Installed the online pump and gauges along with the msd box. Have to do things in phases so I can pull the truck off the lift at the end of the weekend as I use my shop for work. Buttoned things up and went for a drive. Cruising back roads I noticed a loud squeal and pulled over. Definitely sounds metal on metal. Still was making the noise in park. Stuck my head under the truck and sounded like it was coming from the trans or torque converter. Pulled the inspection cover when I got home and could see the tip of the studs on the torque converter were shiny like they were rubbing something. Figured the Flexplate cracked. Since I had a punisher valve Body in order I decided to pull the trans to see what was going on. Ordered a new Flexplate before pulling the trans and talked to Paul and ordered a circle d converter. Pulled the trans this weekend and the Flexplate is not broke so now I’m not sure what the noise could be coming from. Could my noise be in my in line booster pump? Obviously it’s not running because there’s no boost yet.

Attachments

• 0C5CC916-951A-4B04-B479-EAE56B58CC53.jpeg
    0C5CC916-951A-4B04-B479-EAE56B58CC53.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 20
Are there witness marks on the separator plate from the studs hitting it? That would definitely cause the noise. Have you checked your crank end play?

Are there witness marks on the separator plate from the studs hitting it? That would definitely cause the noise. Have you checked your crank end play?
Sorry should have added that. It did not hit the separator plate as there are no marks on it

Could be the fuel going through the inline pump. I would hook the inline pump up to a test toggle and jump the fuel pump relay to see to see if it sounds on vs off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how to post a video? Or how to compress the video I have so I can post it?

Does anyone know how to post a video? Or how to compress the video I have so I can post it?

Look at the menu bar up top, it shows one option called Media, then choose to post in "Member Galleries". That will post movies or pictures to your gallery as long as it is not too large.

Look at the menu bar up top, it shows one option called Media, then choose to post in "Member Galleries". That will post movies or pictures to your gallery as long as it is not too large.
It’s telling me I don’t have permission to view or use. I can view media but not upload

It’s telling me I don’t have permission to view or use. I can view media but not upload
Ah yeah I did not realize you weren't a member. I made that a paid member feature because it costs money to store the data.

Still wouldn’t let me upload video after becoming a member. Said file was to big. Uploaded it to YouTube so here’s the link. If anyone has any ideas I’m all ears

You may just have to roll around under there with a stethoscope and see if you can isolate it to one component or area. If you don't have a stethoscope a long screwdriver, length of wooden dowel, broom handle, etc. will work. With the hood up does it still sound like it comes from underneath?

Still wouldn’t let me upload video after becoming a member. Said file was to big. Uploaded it to YouTube so here’s the link. If anyone has any ideas I’m all ears

Can you tell me how big the file on your computer is?

You may just have to roll around under there with a stethoscope and see if you can isolate it to one component or area. If you don't have a stethoscope a long screwdriver, length of wooden dowel, broom handle, etc. will work. With the hood up does it still sound like it comes from underneath?
Yes it’s definitely underneath. I’ve already pulled the trans and sent it out to be gone over in preparation for a supercharger. I did find one of the tubes on the head for the smog the bolt fell out of which may have Ben another noise I was chasing but I don’t think it would have caused this sound

Does it follow throttle up and down? If you raise the RPM the sounds stays consistent and follows RPM up? Release the throttle it stays consistent and follows RPM down?

Does it follow throttle up and down? If you raise the RPM the sounds stays consistent and follows RPM up? Release the throttle it stays consistent and follows RPM down?
You know I don’t recall it changing with rpm. It came and went a couple times and then I pulled over and took the video. I was fighting what I thought was a vacuum leak whistle prior to this and then on a drive this popped up. When I got home and back on the lift it wasn’t making the noise. After pulling the trans and not finding a broken Flexplate I was confused. I did find that the passenger side smog pipe on the head was hanging as the bolt fell out. Maybe it was rubbing something causing the noise? I removed all the smog piping and plugged the holes with 9/16 bolt. Guess I won’t know if it’s fixed until I get my trans and new torque converter

Back