My 88 mm build thread

got the intake hat back today and went ahead and fitted the intake elbow. once my bov gets here i'll have the flange welded on.

19d66408.jpg

592cf838.jpg

be085eef.jpg

14f1c991.jpg

ran into a little problem with the filter. the base of the filter is too wide to use with the stock overflow tank so i'm either going to have to go with a filter with a smaller base or a smaller overflow tank. my buddy has a filter with a smaller base so i'll ask him if i can borrow it and see how it fits.

also in the pics below you can see there isn't much room to get the maf away from the turbo. with the smaller silicone it is roughly 5-6" away and with the hump silicone it is 8-9" away. the fit with the hump silicone is extremely tight and makes getting the filter in and out a pain. you guys got any ideas for this. i could cut down the hump silicone a little and make the maf 6-7" away from the turbo and that would help with getting the filter in and out. or i could also get a shorter filter, but i wanted to keep as much surface area in the filter as possible. I'm open to suggestions on this one.

f3937692.jpg

8680e8ef.jpg

I would use that hump connector. You definately want that MAF as far away as possible from the turbo impeller.

You might be able to use a smaller filter. The filter that came on the PTK kit was really tiny. It works but its not ideal.

Guessing you going to vent your BOV to atmosphere? It works, at least for me. Again not ideal but I don't see much choice with how short your intake is. If you try to recirculate with that setup it will be worse than VTA.

I would use that hump connector. You definately want that MAF as far away as possible from the turbo impeller.

You might be able to use a smaller filter. The filter that came on the PTK kit was really tiny. It works but its not ideal.

Guessing you going to vent your BOV to atmosphere? It works, at least for me. Again not ideal but I don't see much choice with how short your intake is. If you try to recirculate with that setup it will be worse than VTA.

yeah i'm going to get a smaller filter so i can get the maf as far away from the turbo as possible. may end up with the filter in the fender a bit. also going to reposition the overflow tank a little to make things fit better.

BOV will be vented to the atmosphere. I may try to get a different one and recirculate it later down the road if VTA doesn't work

Just another idea; I saw a guy on here (Voo Doo Speed i think) who relocated his underhood fuse box and then inturn, relocated his overflow tank where the fuse box used to be. I think he used an overflow tank from an 05+ new body style f150. It looked really sweet though. Oh, and I believe he somehow flipped the fuse box upside down and put it in the fender somehow. Good luck on the install!!

found the thread. he explains how he did it on page 1 and 2. enjoy!
http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-2-lightnings/205509-chimera-racing-adapter.html

Last edited:
Just another idea; I saw a guy on here (Voo Doo Speed i think) who relocated his underhood fuse box and then inturn, relocated his overflow tank where the fuse box used to be. I think he used an overflow tank from an 05+ new body style f150. It looked really sweet though. Oh, and I believe he somehow flipped the fuse box upside down and put it in the fender somehow. Good luck on the install!!

found the thread. he explains how he did it on page 1 and 2. enjoy!
http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-2-lightnings/205509-chimera-racing-adapter.html

the tank looks really good but the fuse box location won't work because of my headers, and i really don't feel like putting effort into relocating it. i'll make the stock one work or come up with some kind of solution.

coming together pretty good, i like those valve covers!

thanks, they might be for sale soon. they are a pain to keep clean

I havent looked at it before but could you put the filter all the way in the fender and run a tube up to the maf so you can move the maf to where the filter is now?:?:?

I havent looked at it before but could you put the filter all the way in the fender and run a tube up to the maf so you can move the maf to where the filter is now?:?:?

you could but i don't want to do that. i like the filter to be easily accessible and with it down there is would be. plus i work on a dirt road and when it rains it turns into a mess and i wouldn't want to risk getting that into the filter.

Lookin Good Young'n. Keep up the good work.:eek:ldtu::eek:ldtu:

thanks mikey:thumbup:

my dad and I had some time after work today to get the downpipe started got it all the way under the a/c dryer. I have the next bend through the frame ready but i ran out of the bends i needed to go on from there so i decided not to weld it on just yet.

2d95a38b.jpg

0f2552a4.jpg

ecdee9a0.jpg

b406bda7.jpg

its getting there slowly. hopefully have the downpipe done by next weekend and i can get all the small stuff finished up. gonna get my bov and boost controller this week, as well as my oil drain and a few other miscellaneous items i'll need to finish it up. shouldn't be too long now. also found a filter i'm pretty sure will work, it'll be here the 22nd and i'll know for sure.

The filter looks really good, what are you gonna do about the bypass valve?

I have a tial recirculating valve. The hole in the intake pipe is from the recirc tube I fabbed up but I didn't like it. I got some more pipe today and am going to try to work on it tomorrow

well, i was hoping to be really close to firing it up today but we just didn't have time. I did not realize how tedious the downpipe was going to be. we had to redo a bend and actually adjust the bend of the 4" 90* because one of the pipes tightened up the wrong way when we welded it.

anyway. I can finally say that the downpipe itself is done. the muffler is mocked up and just need to weld the hanger in. i need to make a support for the downpipe to bolt to the motor somewhere, just ran out of time today. worked on it from 630 this morning till 8 tonight the waste gate piping still needs to be welded in but that shouldn't be too tough. got some rewiring done and some vacuum lines run and started working of the power steering res mounts.

here is the up to date punch list:

bov
bov recirc tube
iac bung and hose
extend 02 sensors
rewire wideband
wastegate piping
wastegate vacuum lines
power steering res mount
vht ceramic coat downpipe
wrap downpipe
secure intercooler and a/c lines.

oh... and a plug change

finally making some more progress. got the wastegate piping done and the 02 bungs welded in. changed the plugs. finish the 02 sensors and finish mounting and running the lines for the power steering reservoir. got cut short cause the storms rolled in.. lol

all that is left to do is run the vac lines for the boost controller, put the coolant hose on, finish welding the vbands on the muffler, weld the muffler mount, and weld the bov and revirc tube. then it will be ready to fire up:idhitit

only pic i got

bb14745b.jpg

Back