May 2008 Gen 1 – TOTM – Congratulations (Vern) “grandpa” Jones! (NLOC #72)

Status
Not open for further replies.

e9tac

May 2008 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations (Vern) “grandpa” Jones! (NLOC #72)

This Gen 1 Lightning has show and go. Vern is a class act and his truck not only looks good, but its consistent in the 1/4 mile; to the tune of being LFest 4 S/L Winner and LFest 5 S/L Winner. And he's looking to defend his title at this years LFest 6. Congrats to Vern for being May’s Truck of The Month!

storage3-x.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I’ve always been a Ford guy, and for most of my adult life, a Ford Truck guy, having owned 4 other Ford trucks and a Bronco. So, when the first ‘93 Lightning came out, I wanted one. It took a few years, but in Aug of ‘97 I finally got it!

When I found it at the dealer and test drove it, I brought it home to show the wife and asked, “What do you think?” Her answer: “It doesn’t matter what I think, I can tell you’ve already bonded with that truck!” Truer words were never spoken.

ffw6.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

Ahhh – the one I wish I had back! A red ’66 Ford 7-Litre, 428 4-spd. At the time I had it, I thought it was cool, but had no idea that it was that rare until much later. The car I traded for it – another one I wish I had back, a ’65 GTO. And sitting in my garage in pieces is the ’66 Mustang 289 Coupe that I’ve had since 1979. Hopefully, it’ll get back on the road this year.

Lfest5-3-x.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

LfestSL1st_large.JPG

Show – although I’ve gotten a couple of show trophies, it’s not really a show truck:

Polished Gen1 wheels
Roll pan
Truxedo bed cover
Powdercoated intake and accessory brackets
Removed bed side decals when it was repainted, but kept the tailgate decal so the losers will know what beat them

burnout9.JPG

Go:

Motor:
Stroked 410 w/ Scat steel crank, H-beam rods and forged Probe dished pistons (9:1)
Trick Flow Track Head 205 CNC heads
trick Flow Stage 2 cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 roller rockers
Pickrel 1 ¾” coated LT headers
Custom 3” exhaust w/ 3” Flowmasters and turndowns
A/C and air pump delete pulleys
FMS MA conversion
Crane HI-6 TR ignition
Mallory adjustable FPR
1” intake spacer

Tranny:
B&M Transpak
B&M deep pan
2600 stall converter

Other stuff:
Eaton posi rear
Mark VIII electric fan
Removed A/C box and replaced w/ heater-only box
Powdercoated Rancho bars
Rancho adjustable shocks
Removed front sway bar and brackets
JBG’s poly motor mounts
Autometer Ultralite gauges:
Mech fuel press on the cowl
Coolant, tranny temp, & vacuum on a triple gauge pillar
Autometer Sport-Comp tach
AEM wideband A/F gauge
SCT custom tune chip
My own driveshaft loop

underhood1-x.jpg

At the track, 325/50-15 MT drag radials on 15x10 Paulsen wheels, w/ 5.5” bs
And 235/75-15 fronts on 15x7 US wheels

Lfest5e.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

Vortech supercharger ate itself on the way back home from WFC4 due to oil starvation (hint: DO NOT replace your Vortech oil feed line w/ a high pressure line w/ smaller ID). Nursed it home with one eye on the road and one on the oil pressure gauge.

After winning S/L at WFC5, I ran it too lean and broke the top ring lands off #7&8 pistons (sound familiar?). After the rebuild, I just had too many tuning issues, so was unable to race at the first LFest (killed me to set by and watch!). I finally got tired of blowing head gaskets and sold the blower and went back to normally aspirated. With just a little tuning, truck has been consistent over the last few years and I’ve had TONS of fun driving and racing the truck, and even won a few races!

And although not exactly a Lightning story, on the way back from WFC last year, I had a flat on the tow rig just outside of Springfield, IL. We put on the spare, and drove into Springfield to find someplace to fix the flat. After some looking, we pulled into the parking lot of a tire store. Then Dave Patterson yelled at me on the radio, “Hey look to your right!”. Right there in the shop was Tim Wilkerson’s Funny Car hauler – we had landed at his Tire and Service Center! He was a great guy and said we could look around all we wanted while he got the tire fixed. Not very often you get free reign to wander around in a Funny Car shop. We were like kids in a candy store.
Readytogoracin-x.jpg

And btw, the black-and-white print that Bob Tarpey made, and did Gen1 t-shirt from is my truck that he took pics of at LightningFest2 in Topeka. So, all you guys who are wearing SVT Gen1 t-shirts, you’ve got my truck on your back!
print-x.JPG

The floor mat story:

When I tried to replace my original Gen1 floor mats, I found that they were out of production at Ford, and so I looked on ebay. Boy, was I shocked! Over $300 for an original set of floor mats! So, I began a search for an alternative, and to my surprise, found a manufacturer about an hour from my house. After a couple of meetings, and using my originals for the pattern and logo colors, they got it right.

Due to interest from club members, Dwight added them to the NLOC store. Afterwards, we designed the full-width 1-piece mat and rear mats for the Ext Cab trucks. And then last year we added the Gen2 mats since Ford had discontinued them as well.

Yes, that's Roush Racing's Nascar driver Carl Edwards' sig on my dash! Being he's from Columbia, MO, he makes it back here once in a while. Last April he showed up for an autograph session and car show. As he was strolling thru the show, I asked if he would sign my dash, and he said "sure". So, he jumped in the seat, signed it and wrote "Hang On!". I wonder how many hp that's worth?
Carl_dash.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I like Pina Coladas and long walks on the beach – NOT!
Actually, I prefer the smell of burning rubber and race gas in the morning!

Ok, really, I’m an old Hot Rodder that grew up in the 60’s with all the muscle cars that everybody else had while I was running around in my Dad’s ’57 Ford wagon. My wife still wonders when I’ll get over this mid-life crisis thing and stop all this racing stuff (never I hope!). Been married to Brenda for 36 yrs (she’s a Saint!). One son, Cason, who is married to a wonderful girl, Jennifer. We have 1 grandson, Owen, 3 yrs old and already loves cars! Can’t wait to get him in a Jr Dragster!

Spent 8 yrs in the US Navy and served aboard 2 Nuclear Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarines. After leaving the Navy in 1978, went to work at the University of Missouri Research Reactor in Columbia, MO as a Reactor Operator. Brenda is a Manager in the HR Dept at Mizzou. We also own and manage some rental properties under our Red Dirt Properties company...hence the "sponsored by Red Dirt Properties" on my back window.

family1.jpg

OwenChristmas07_4.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

Bought the truck in Aug ‘97 and joined the NLOC shortly after. I’ve been a member ever since (NLOC #0072). And I have a copy of every club newsletter since Vol 1, No 1!

haulingstuff.JPG

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

None

Underground storage
storage1-x.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

It’s my name and my wife told me not to change it since that’s what everybody knows me as – just Vern.

closeup.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

No significant changes. It’s just too consistent to screw around with.

410_in.jpg

10. This is where you link favorite websites, your website, family pictures and add any other comments.

I blame it all on Jeff Sparkman! J/K there Jeffro!

Really, though, he’s one of the first people in the club that I met at Bowling Green for the first WFC in ‘98, along with Sal, Chuck Palfi, Bob Ellsworth and Jason Brown. Then ran into them again at WFC2 in Joliet, along with Donald Whitaker. And again raced w/ Jeff at Ennis, TX for the FFW in ’99 (my first racing trophy, for semi-finalist in Top Truck).

Then the Lightning Racing bug snowballed from there. I want to give TONS of thanks to my closest support group – the rest of the MKLO Hardcore 4 – Shawn Fuss, Donald Whitaker and Dave Patterson, along with the rest of the MKLO gang. They’re always there when you need them most.

And, in no particular order:
Jeff Sparkman for all he’s done for the NLOC and Gen1 owners
Dave Pickrel for supporting Gen1s when there was nobody else
Scott Dunn for helping me and other MKLO guys out when we need a wrench

And most of all:

Dwight and Nan for EVERYTHING they’ve done!
Our best wishes go out Nan – God Bless!

And my lovely, understanding wife Brenda.

21973-179-1957.jpg

award2.jpg

Congratulations to Vern “grandpa” Jones and his 1993 Black Ford Lightning for Gen 1 Truck of the Month, May 2008!
Meinthetruck.jpg

A great big huge congrats Vern !

Hey, I got one of those posters and one of those T-shirts too. So I guess your truck is hangin' on my wall and when I wear the T-shirt your truck is always behind me.....

Scott

Congrats Vern!!! :bigtu:

This TOTM could not go to a more deserving truck, OR OWNER!
You are truely TOP SHELF! :eek:ldtu:

Now, if you and dp would just quit kickin' my butt in the brackets with your consistancy...I'd really be happy! ;)

Jake...

Last edited:
nice truck congrats

i am curious about your garage// is that a cave or something? looks like stonewall?

nice truck congrats

i am curious about your garage// is that a cave or something? looks like stonewall?

That's solid granite. It's an underground storage carved out from under a rock quarry here in Columbia. It has half a million square feet of storage space with about 25 ft ceilings. That's where the Lightning and Brenda's Mustang live in the winter. Constant temp/humidity and totally out of the winter weather. It does get a little dusty, so they put a big sheet of plastic over vehicles that are stored down there.

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back